Westboro Baptist Church and their cretin of a minister, Fred Phelps are being sued by the father of a marine who died in Iraq after they picketed his son's funeral.

Some nights Albert Snyder wakes up at 3 a.m. Other nights he doesn't sleep at all, tormented by thoughts of the hateful signs carried by a fundamentalist church outside his Marine son's funeral.

"Thank God for Dead Soldiers."

"You're Going to Hell."

and "Semper Fi Fags."

Now, more than four years after his son died in a Humvee accident in Iraq, Snyder's legal battle is headed to the Supreme Court. And his tireless efforts have drawn support from across the country, including a wave of donations after he was ordered to pay the church's court costs — a $16,500 judgment that the congregation plans to use for more protests.

Donations have come from people of all political and religious persuasion including Fox News commentator Bill O'Reilly who pledged to pay the entire $16,510. I have to give Bill O' an atta boy on this one.

While I am pretty sure the SCOTUS will uphold the church's right to free speech – more the pity, I admire Mr. Snyder's courage and tenacity for taking on that slime of a church and their pastor of hate.

Anyone interested in helping Mr. Snyder's cause they can donate here.

Views: 33

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

An ironical historic note - without the backing of their contemporary evangelists - Jefferson and Monroe would never have passed the First Amendment. There was an abiding fear that allowing the government to control speech or establish a religion might not fall out in favor of the 'right' speech and the 'right' religion. In the end, that is the beauty of the amendment that absolutely deserves to be the first.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service