It's evening.

I'm tired.

I had a long day.  As usual.

I don't want anything to do with other people in my face.

When I go home, the thing I want most is to be left alone.

Who made the rule that I have to greet hoards of kids who come to my door wanting candy?

Is it good for kids to take candy from strangers?

Is it good to reward kids with unhealthy candies, rewarding them for what?   Give them atherosclerosis, diabetes, and cavities?

Every year it's the same.  We buy bags of candies we would not otherwise buy, give away 1/2 of it, and have the rest to eat, not wanting to, or throw away.

I thought about several things to do.

Like hide at the back of the house with the lights off.

Or buy a loaf of multigrain, whole grain bread and give each kid a slice.  Very healthy!

Or have a nice big bowl, filled with little broccoli heads, cauliflowers, Brussels sprouts, and carrots.  They could pick which the wanted.  Also very healthy!

Or but up a sign stating "Quarantine!   Influenza, meningitis, and flesh eating bacteria"

Finally, I put a sign on the front door, stating "Sorry!!  No candy!  I'm Sick  :-( "

So far it's been quiet.

I'm a grouchy old man.

Views: 757

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I celebrate the solstices and equinoxes, which, by the way, form much of the timing for religious festivals. In 1974 I loaded my three kids, two cats, and two boxes of kittens into the car and left married life and religion behind, I wanted to create festival events for the kids so they wouldn't feel left out.

Seasons provide a perfect alternative. In spring, on the equinox, we enjoy a planting festival, complete with a long table filled with delicious foods of early spring, a tub full of juice drinks, and a process of planting seeds inside. Family, friends and neighbors join us in the tasks. In summer, on the Solstice, we have a growing festival, doing pretty much the same type of celebration, enjoying the growing season. In autumn, and the equinox, we harvest crops, mostly cabbage and have long tables set up in the garden with cleaning, shredding and weighing cabbage, putting it in crocks with measures of salt and capping them off with heavy carved wooden lids weighted down with rocks. On the winter solstice, we open the first crock and have a feast with sauerkraut and whatever. On spring equinox, we open the last crock as well as a repeat of spring tasks. The cycle of the year is completed, the kids know from where food comes, and we work/play with gusto, celebrating the wheel of the year.

I love to note the solstices and equinoxes, but never catch the right moment to actually celebrate. 

Opening the crock of sauerkraut would be a great way to celebrate. I should learn how to do that.

Sentient, what does Ning think of halloween?

Spud, Ning usually works evenings so leaves me to deal with it. This year he went to the country place with the excuse that his chickens needed to be checked.

Usually he thinks any holiday is good, at least for time off work. He likes to go along with them. If its a holiday that involves pumpkin pie he likes it regardless of the origin of the occasion.

I'm glad Halloween isn't very popular here, it's quiet, except for one: "We bring jesus." Answer: "Yes, put him next to the garbage bin." Quiet is priceless! How else could we stand all the nonsense?

Great response!

I actually love holidays, and Halloween is one of my favorites. This year we didn't have the money to get enough candy for how many rug rats would be by (spent it all on ourselves going to haunted houses,) so we turned off our porch light and all the lights upstairs and went down to the basement to watch horror movies. Didn't get a single knock.

It is nice to have that option and the kids respect it. There was a little bit of mischief of broken pumpkins in the neighborhood, and I am sure they are not from this street. Our kids don't do things like that. 

I suppose I could be called naive. 

Apparently, half my sister's kids' pumpkins were stolen while the family was out trick or treating.

I might be wrong, but I've always understood that the agreed upon cultural rule for Haloween is: "If the porch light is out, don't knock. If it is on, come and get some candy." At least that's what I taught my son.

Maybe there should be a constitutional amendment, so we all know our roles and responsiblities in modern society.  It makes more sense than some amendments I've seen.

It was rainy and chilly here this Halloween, but we still got quite a few trick-or-treaters.  A friend's daughter (who is 20) stopped to visit, so my husband passed the candy out.  He had fun telling the little ones how much he liked their costumes.  Our old Labrador, Molly, actually didn't bark.  She sort-of liked having the kids come up to the door.  A lot of them liked to comment on her.  Our houses are all close-together, and small front yards near sidewalks, so it's the kind of neighborhood where a lot of trick-or-treaters show up.  It was fine.  I threw away what we didn't give out.  I did eat too many Tootsie-Rolls though!

You threw out Tootsie-Rolls?!  You should be put in jail. 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service