It's evening.

I'm tired.

I had a long day.  As usual.

I don't want anything to do with other people in my face.

When I go home, the thing I want most is to be left alone.

Who made the rule that I have to greet hoards of kids who come to my door wanting candy?

Is it good for kids to take candy from strangers?

Is it good to reward kids with unhealthy candies, rewarding them for what?   Give them atherosclerosis, diabetes, and cavities?

Every year it's the same.  We buy bags of candies we would not otherwise buy, give away 1/2 of it, and have the rest to eat, not wanting to, or throw away.

I thought about several things to do.

Like hide at the back of the house with the lights off.

Or buy a loaf of multigrain, whole grain bread and give each kid a slice.  Very healthy!

Or have a nice big bowl, filled with little broccoli heads, cauliflowers, Brussels sprouts, and carrots.  They could pick which the wanted.  Also very healthy!

Or but up a sign stating "Quarantine!   Influenza, meningitis, and flesh eating bacteria"

Finally, I put a sign on the front door, stating "Sorry!!  No candy!  I'm Sick  :-( "

So far it's been quiet.

I'm a grouchy old man.

Views: 729

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll be in line for that as well. 

I don't get many trick-or-treaters in my neighborhood. I kind of suspect that trick or treating is going the way of the cassette tape. Parents are, and SHOULD be, afraid of who might answer the door, and what they might be giving out. So I'm seeing more Halloween parties, many even sponsored by churches. And I think that's a far better way to go.

I personally don't want to celebrate Pagan holidays any more than I want to celebrate Christian ones. I was raised Jewish and I don't even celebrate Jewish holidays, except in fun -- one year, when Passover and Easter fell at the same time, my atheist (Jewish) brother and atheist (Lutheran) sister-in-law invited me over for Eastover. Which was simply a family meal and a game which we all enjoyed. But we could do that any time!

Personally, I disagree with the the "Parents...SHOULD be," although you are right that they are. People are not somehow more evil than they were back in the day, rose colored glasses notwithstanding, and despite what we hear from the if it bleeds it leads media over saturation, today is arguably a safer age than it was before.

The problem with bygone ages of before is that we were all so incredibly naive. This mindset would include the "bad guy" as well as anyone, so lots of people could even keep there doors unlocked way back when. Thanks to the media and the "monkey see - monkey do" mentality of most humans, you have to be on your toes today. Is it a safer age today? To survive you have to become safer.

My religious parents used to say that "the devil is running wild in the world today." Apparently this idea reinforced their "end time" beliefs. The truth is, nobody gave a shit what happened in Iraq in 1950. Media reporting was usually bland until the Viet Nam war came into your living room at dinner time. Increased travel and media reporting has capitalized on bad events making the world sound like such a terrible place. If you are religious you have the "fix" for this, and you know that before long "you are going to be in a better place." Suddenly you are the smart one because your religion has informed you of everything.

Truth is, "we have seen the devil and the devil is us."

I would agree ... I had to stop giving out candy. IT was costing me more than a hundred dollars from all the kids.

Oh my gosh Steph!  It only cost us $13!  If it was $100, I would quit too!

How awful! By all means, something has to change ... since you can't change the number of kids ringing for a treat, you have to take action. Not turning on the light works for me. I hope your door ringers have been brought up to respect others. Making friends with the local kids helps me because they kind of shield me from the bullies that come into the neighborhood just for treats. There are plenty of parents walking with their kids that helps to keep mischief down, perhaps. 

That's outrageous Steph! Is it any wonder that some of us on pensions just don't want to participate in spending the money on junk, or opening our doors to people we don't know who could very well have weapons with the way things are these days?

We live in a small town where this is a big deal. All the kiddies who live in the countryside get loaded up in the van and are driven to town where they tumble out of the van like it's a clown car, hit a block en mass, trudge back into the van, and get driven up to the next block. We also have a meddling city council, who like to dicker with sacred holidays like Halloween due to stupid things like conflicting school athletic functions. So some years Halloween is on Halloween, other years it's on the Sunday before. The years that it's on the Sunday before, I refuse-REFUSE-to partake. All the lights in the house go off, not a lovingly carved pumpkin is lit, no spiders crawl from the storm drain, no ghosts look out from the window.

This year it was joyfully in it's rightful place, so I poured some adult cider into a giant plastic cup, put a folding chair on the front step, took my kindle and a big cat head bag full of candy out, put my Frankenstein hat on, and gave over an hour and a half of my life to hearing kids go "hey look! blinky eyes!" "is that real?" (meaning the carved pumpkin) "i like your pig!" (we have a pink pig watering can that I left with the carved pumpkins, cause it's a pig and why not) "i'm not a fairy princess, i'm the Good Witch!" "can you guess who I am???!!" and "who's that in the window?" If I could have given out prizes, I would have given first prize to the kid who dressed as Rorschach from the Watchmen (very creepy). He (she?? it could have been) didn't say a word and just stared. Creepy.

And yes, I gave out two pieces of candy. Because that's how I roll. And I wanted to get it over faster. Also, anyone who gives out toothbrushes or temporary tattoos is lame and deserves the pumpkin smashing they get later.

Parents have ruined Halloween. It used to be that kids would throw on a bed sheet or some of daddy's or Mummy's old ripped up clothing and spend hours walking around town, no parents involved. Treats could be home made peanut-brittle, popcorn balls, candied apples, and yes, some store bought stuff, but a good deal of homemade stuff too.

Then adults took over. Now it's store purchased costumes, store bought candies, individually wrapped by law,  and gender stereotypes gone awry, with parents putting girls in princess costumes instead of Halloween gear.

But the worst is that Halloween has become politically incorrect, this once fun pagan holiday is now being called "Black and Orange" day in school, and principals are telling kids to dress in Black and orange suits (no costume that could be considered offensive to any religion pray you) and are being let out of school the next day because they are too drunk on sugar for the school to be able to handle them the next day.

Bloody hell. Halloween is so ruined, why not delete it altogether.

Edit: Also there used to be a rule, no knocking if there was not jack-o-lantern.  Placing a jack-o-lantern at the front door was the sign that the house was willing to participate in the festivities, now kids knock everywhere, even with front lights off.

I'm lucky. Neighborhood kids picked on my red heeler and german shepard one too many times. Now if they get near my property my dogs go crazy. Feel sorry for my dogs, but hey, no kids on halloween ( :

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service