It's evening.

I'm tired.

I had a long day.  As usual.

I don't want anything to do with other people in my face.

When I go home, the thing I want most is to be left alone.

Who made the rule that I have to greet hoards of kids who come to my door wanting candy?

Is it good for kids to take candy from strangers?

Is it good to reward kids with unhealthy candies, rewarding them for what?   Give them atherosclerosis, diabetes, and cavities?

Every year it's the same.  We buy bags of candies we would not otherwise buy, give away 1/2 of it, and have the rest to eat, not wanting to, or throw away.

I thought about several things to do.

Like hide at the back of the house with the lights off.

Or buy a loaf of multigrain, whole grain bread and give each kid a slice.  Very healthy!

Or have a nice big bowl, filled with little broccoli heads, cauliflowers, Brussels sprouts, and carrots.  They could pick which the wanted.  Also very healthy!

Or but up a sign stating "Quarantine!   Influenza, meningitis, and flesh eating bacteria"

Finally, I put a sign on the front door, stating "Sorry!!  No candy!  I'm Sick  :-( "

So far it's been quiet.

I'm a grouchy old man.

Views: 735

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The children get too much junk food all year long as it is, so ''think of the children'' doesn't cut it for me. Nothing is a special treat anymore as it's become the norm to eat crap daily.

I agree! Laura, Larry and I had this discussion on Thursday after a session at Cancer Care NW. We talked about our experiences as children on halloween, ... you know the drill, kind of like what it was like going to school ... miles and miles with feet of snow, no snow plows, no rides on a school bus or by parents ... Oh! we do sound like we had it really bad. After a bit of this we had to laugh at ourselves. 

I know Daniel, I didn't put on my porch light for the same reason and the kids respected my signal. That is because their families train them well and they respect me.
I know the kids respect you, too, Daniel, and the bee hive is far more important than answering the door on an obligation. Taking eggs for kids to enjoy and experience fresh eggs is far more meaningful.
A tip-0-my hat to your honesty and your suggestions of doing for others on Halloween. You don't convince me you are a grumpy old curmudgeon.

Sauerkraut is very easy to make ... a bit tedious slicing, weighing and salting. The flavor makes one's mouth sing! When opening the crock, there is a lot of mold and slime that one has to take away; not for the faint of heart. Topping the batch with cheese cloth helps.
My former husband, Don, was perfecting a kimchee recipe and had it about as perfect as it could be for our tastebuds when he died. None of us has taken up the challenge.
These days I go to the mom and pop store on the edge of town who make their own to sell. I've often wondered if the Health Dept. has inspected their crocks. They would probably shut down operations.

Sauerkraut is very easy to make ... a bit tedious slicing, weighing and salting. The flavor makes one's mouth sing! When opening the crock, there is a lot of mold and slime that one has to take away; not for the faint of heart.

I make lacto-fermented vegetables, but I use a pickling jar with an airlock. Mold requires oxygen, and the gases the lacto-bacteria make, push the oxygen out of the airlock, preventing problems with mold or yeast.

I have severe mold and yeast allergies so I have to be very careful not to grow mold.  I still get allergic reactions sometimes, though.  

Luara, I have never seen anything like this. It would also keep the house from smelling like rotting cabbage! Does the food taste as delicious? I also like pickled vegetables more than any other way. Thanks for the site. I will give it a try. 

Along similar lines, I've been thinking of trying my hand at kimchi

I don't know what vegetables that have been pickled where mold grew on them, taste like, because it would make me sick to do it that way.  My vegetable ferments don't stink.  They do have a slight smell, but it isn't unpleasant. 

Also, what they taste like depends on the bacterial culture.  A lot of pickling recipes use a starter culture.  Because of food allergies, I didn't use a starter.  I started pickling just by chopping raw vegetables and putting them in 5% saltwater, and the bacteria on the vegetables started the culture. 

I've made pickled vegetables that way that tasted very good.  The taste varies. 

I've pickled fruit also.  Pineapple and unripe, hard fruits don't turn mushy when pickled.  But I used some of the brine from veggie pickles as a starter culture. 

Hard veggies tend to work better for pickling though.  It might be the short-chain fatty acids that are produced when the bacteria digest the fiber in the vegetables, that makes the pickled veg's taste good - giving them smoothness. Pickled fruit just tastes sour, and I'm doing less of it. The short-chain fatty acids may help regulate the immune system.

Oh, but we should feed the little kiddies candy. Just imagine that spirits can be appeased on this day if you feed them. They are dead, so how do they eat now? Oh, that was a long time ago. Sorry.

Wife and I don't feed the kiddies, and the gymnasium idea is a very good one if people want to go for it. Count me out on religious ideas or any superstition that comes from it. In todays world the goblins are very likely real people who want to harm, rob, or kill. Why take a chance.

In my childhood the young trick or treater was given poison candy and he died from it. The father cried and cried wanting the killer brought to justice. How could any monster do something like this to his precious child? The monster was finally brought to his just rewards. It was found that the father had a heavy insurance policy on the boy. Halloween was never the same after that, and the door was opened for it to get worse and worse year after year.

Oh, but we should feed the little kiddies candy. Just imagine that spirits can be appeased on this day if you feed them. They are dead, so how do they eat now? Oh, that was a long time ago. Sorry.

Wife and I don't feed the kiddies, and the gymnasium idea is a very good one if people want to go for it. Count me out on religious ideas or any superstition that comes from it. In todays world the goblins are very likely real people who want to harm, rob, or kill. Why take a chance.

In my childhood the young trick or treater was given poison candy and he died from it. The father cried and cried wanting the killer brought to justice. How could any monster do something like this to his precious child? The monster was finally brought to his just rewards. It was found that the father had a heavy insurance policy on the boy. Halloween was never the same after that, and the door was opened for it to get worse and worse year after year.

Maybe next year I should make sauerkraut as a haloween treat. I can just spoon it into their candy bags!

put it on a brat with brown mustard in a toasted bun and I'll trick-or-treat at your place.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service