tis the season that Fox News pundits get to pretend to be very angry about the totally factual and scary War on Christmas.  i know this b/c i do on occasion watch some Fox News, and my mother and her husband most certainly watch a lot of Fox News and they are totally pissed off about how Christmas is under attack.  

now i, like most Atheists, find this ridiculous.  not that there aren't some silly stunts being pulled by secular folk in protest to certain things that mix Christmas and public land or schools. these things do happen every year, but they are really small potatoes in the big picture.  but the outrage that people like Bill O'Reilly are feigning are off the charts.  last night, his first two segments were dedicated to this so called war.  he had on the RI Governor whose great crime was to continue his predecessor's tradition of calling their Christmas tree a "Holiday" tree.  the horror!!

personally i see nothing wrong with calling it a Christmas tree.  that's what it is.  however, if a state or community or town want to be more inclusive to non-Christians then i don't see a problem with that either.  regardless, the furor over a semantic issue is so overblown.  there is no war on Christmas.  Americans celebrate an entire Christmas season.  it lasts a month, with lights, santa, parades, decorations, shopping, tv specials, etc.   to be in such an uproar is sheer Christian persecution syndrome.  they want to be persecuted.  

the so called war on Christmas is really nothing more than correcting Christian overreach.  they've gotten away with so many abuses when it comes to religion in public life.  now that secular groups like the FFRF, American Atheists, and the ACLU have seen their power increase due to an uptick in non-theists and secular progressives, many of their overreaches are being targeted.  and in most cases the seculars win.  these losses are their proof that there is a war on Christmas.  not so - it's a leveling of the playing field.  

the governor of RI summed it up nicely in his segment with O'Reilly. he said "you folks at Fox are just so angry".  tis the season!  ho ho ho, Merry Christmas!

Views: 544

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/last_ounce_of_courage/

believe it or not, there's a movie (i saw the dvd commercial on Fox, go figure) about "one man's personal crusade against the war on christmas".  wow!

Love this review, and most of the others!  Great reading!  Thanks for the link.  The reviews alone make it worth checking into the link to this movie.  Although no way will I watch it!

"Politics aside, the hamfisted melodrama, amateurish acting, a tasteless finale and a cameo by either God or a ZZ Top cover-band refugee make "Last Ounce of Courage" laughably awful.

you're welcome.  that review is hilarious!

A new billboard outside Hollywood, from the Catholic League, corrected with a reality-based footnote (posted by Jean-Marc in Canada on the blog Joe.My.God.):

NOT ALL CHRISTIAN HATERS ARE EQUAL: ABROAD WE'RE BEHEADED / AT HOME WE'RE BASHED / THE DIFFERENCES ARE PROFOUND; SO ARE THE SIMILARITIES / HAVE A PEACEFUL AND JOYOUS CHRISTMAS / Catholic League / **Disclaimer: Yeah, we did the same thing for almost 2000 years but hey, we're better zealots than the Muslims. We still bash gays though, rape kids and still believe women should know their place. Send money anyway.(The missing hyphen, which strictly speaking makes the top line refer to haters who are Christian, is unwittingly accurate!)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service