The supernatural does not exist........it's the Scariest discussion on the Net !

The supernatural does not exist. The supernatural does not exist. The supernatural does not exist. The supernatural does not exist. The supernatural does not exist. The supernatural does not exist. The supernatural does not exist. The supernatural does not exist.

Le surnaturel n'existe. Le surnaturel n'existe. Le surnaturel n'existe. Le surnaturel n'existe. Le surnaturel n'existe. Le surnaturel n'existe. Le surnaturel n'existe. Le surnaturel n'existe.

Das Übernatürliche nicht existiert. Das Übernatürliche nicht existiert. Das Übernatürliche nicht existiert. Das Übernatürliche nicht existiert. Das Übernatürliche nicht existiert. Das Übernatürliche nicht existiert. Das Übernatürliche nicht existiert. Das Übernatürliche nicht existiert.

AC/DC - Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be - Live, 1977

Tags: angels, devils, ghosts, gods

Views: 921

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So what you're saying is, "the supernatural does not exist"? ;)

HUH?!?  Where'd you get THAT one from, booklover??? [smirk-smirk ... GUFFAW!!!]

lol

Yes booklover. We emanate from the earth and to the earth we return. We are made entirely of organic material which will fertilise the ground and help the grass to grow.

I know Napoleon, and I totally agree.  I was referencing a joke from a movie.  :)

Which movie ?

No, but it is possible to be supersaturated.   

You can be 'supersaturated' with nonsense but not the truth ?

Thanks for stating your view.

Why can't I say 'There is no such thing as a supernature or a supernature does not exist ? Well, I can but I'm helping to invent a new word. Our language seems to presume that the supernatural does exist. I'm looking for a noun and the Oxford dictionary does not have a word supernature. Only Wikipedia refers to the words use in artistic writing.

Of course, the supernatural doesn't exist and it may be necessary to inform fellow Atheists. This is because the word Atheism does not exclude belief in the supernatural. The Oxford dictionary defines the word as a lack of belief that God or gods exist, disbelief in the existence of God or gods; godlessness. Therefore, it is arguable that a godless Atheist might still believe in ghosts, angels and devils thus still embracing a non-existent supernature. Only the encyclopedias vaguely refer to Atheism in a broader sense.

I don't believe in a Supernature. Do you ? 

No I don't believe in anything supernatural. I think strange events can be explained by science.

Exactly Steph !

Basically ... no, I don't.

And so long as we're talking about it, let's break out that quote I mentioned earlier:

One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. "Supernatural" is a null word.
-- Robert A. Heinlein

If there is some mechanism which operates outside of the currently understood laws of physics, it either has its own order and rules of operation or it is chaotic and therefore difficult if not impossible to use or employ in any form of coherent fashion. As such, any "supernature" would be no different from any other physical property, except that it is currently outside of our perception.

There was a time when a true understanding of planetary motion or chemistry or nuclear physics was outside of our grasp. We have gained understanding of those fields incrementally, and the more we learn, the more we are equipped to learn and the faster we learn it.

I tend not to think that there is an entire field of physics which is beyond our understanding because at the present level of comprehension, I believe we would have the means of seeing clues or hints to its existence. There would be traces, evidence, suggestions of something not fully understood, something like the dark energy / dark matter puzzle physics is faced with today.

Physics is concerned with two very basic concepts: things and processes. If a thing or a process is perceptible, then it should yield to study, to experiment and analysis. If it is in no way available to senses or instrumentation, can it be said to exist?

As Heinlein said, the concept of supernature is bogus. Nature is what there is, and there is plenty of it to learn.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service