The supernatural does not exist........it's the Scariest discussion on the Net !

The supernatural does not exist. The supernatural does not exist. The supernatural does not exist. The supernatural does not exist. The supernatural does not exist. The supernatural does not exist. The supernatural does not exist. The supernatural does not exist.

Le surnaturel n'existe. Le surnaturel n'existe. Le surnaturel n'existe. Le surnaturel n'existe. Le surnaturel n'existe. Le surnaturel n'existe. Le surnaturel n'existe. Le surnaturel n'existe.

Das Übernatürliche nicht existiert. Das Übernatürliche nicht existiert. Das Übernatürliche nicht existiert. Das Übernatürliche nicht existiert. Das Übernatürliche nicht existiert. Das Übernatürliche nicht existiert. Das Übernatürliche nicht existiert. Das Übernatürliche nicht existiert.

AC/DC - Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be - Live, 1977

Tags: angels, devils, ghosts, gods

Views: 949

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would also state that the metaphysical does not exist.

Yes, it's not science and not for me.

In popular parlance, metaphysics has become the label for the study of things which transcend the natural world — that is, things which supposedly exist separately from nature and which have a more intrinsic reality than our natural existence. This assigns a sense to the Greek prefix meta which it did not originally have, but words do change over time. As a result, the popular sense of metaphysics has been the study of any question about reality which cannot be answered by scientific observation and experimentation. For atheists, this sense of metaphysics is usually regarded as literally empty.
Metaphysics is empty and meaningless.

Empty? Meaningless?

I long ago decided that metaphysics contributes to the job security of university professors of philosophy or religion.

Metaphysics is a branch of philosophy.  "Popular parlance" is not the same as philosophical meaning, in the same way that "theory" has a different popular definition from its scientific one.

Thank you Steph for your explanation.

Metaphysics is philosophy of the mind; theory of the cause and underlying nature of reality; philosophy of the supernatural or intangible. 

I don't use it.

I agree it's empty.  

The only thing all atheists have in common is disbelief in gods, so the only thing all atheist metaphysics will have in common is that reality doesn't include any gods and isn't divinely created. Despite that, most atheists in the West tend to adopt a materialistic perspective on reality. This means that they regard the nature of our reality and the universe as consisting of matter and energy. Everything is natural; nothing is supernatural. There are no supernatural beings, realms, or planes of existence. All cause and effect proceeds via natural laws.
http://atheism.about.com/od/philosophybranches/p/Metaphysics.htm

Is Metaphysics Pointless?:

Some irreligious atheists, like logical positivists, have argued that the agenda of metaphysics is largely pointless and can’t accomplish anything. According to them, metaphysical statements cannot be either true or false — as a result, they don’t really carry any meaning and shouldn’t be given any serious consideration. There is some justification to this position, but it is unlikely to convince or impress religious theists for whom metaphysical claims constitute some of the most important parts of their lives. Thus the ability to address and critique such claims can be important.

I've tried to reason with theists over metaphysical claims in the past. For the most part, it's an exercise in futility. They have a psyschological stake in their beliefs and, even though those beliefs are irrational, it's virtually impossible for them to relinquish them. For them, religion and faith are their crutches. If you try to kick those crutches out from under them, all they'll do is cling to them all the more tenaciously.

Yes I whole heartedly agree. It's futile to even try to reason with theists over metaphysical claims. Religion and faith are their crutches - I agree!

The About.com  article which Steph links is very informative and suggests that knowledge of metaphysics is useful for arguing with theists but not much else.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service