Alabama dumb-assiness time.  This state is in what legislators refer to as pro-ration.  Meaning there is not enough money to budget for everything. This is mostly because for many years Alabama has lured corporations in with offers of charging them no taxes. And by-god they's sticking to it. Not enough that there are 4 million people here that will work for $8/HR. We are apparently the new China (only less people and drunker).

So, what do you do when there's not enough money? Cut something. Entitlements. Hmm. Let's see. Oh, education! Hell yeah, we've got too many teachers here, anyway (and you should see the list of shit you have to buy and send with an elementary school student already). What else? MEDICAID. They are cutting funding for that. The real problem is that every dollar Alabama cuts from its medicaid budget loses TWO matching dollars from the Federal Government. 3 for 1! What a bargain.

The state is defunding ALL mental health facilities! Think on that for a second. All mental health facilities in ALABAMA are being defunded and CLOSED. The idea is to send all those patients to 'group homes' and 'halfway houses'. That's some scary shit, right there.

This will also cause hospice service to be unavailable for many people.

And worst of all "It is very unfortunate that many dialysis patients will not be able to receive treatment."  WTF?  They're just supposed to go home and die, I guess. Bless their hearts. 

So with all of this going on, you know what was the big news story today on local TV?

The state legislature is debating a bill that would allow the ten commandments to be displayed in schools and state buildings. Total waste of time and money (in a state that has none) that will be overturned by the Federal government. FUCK FUCK FUCK!

At least everyone will know which candidates are the most religious at election time, which is the whole point, I guess.

I am so disgusted and embarrassed. 

I am now serious about getting out of here. At least to Georgia where they are a little more progressive and have FREE college for my kids (thanks to the lottery, which is the devil.)

UGH!!!!

Views: 474

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And the other 49 states would go to hell in a hand-basket.  Bloody lovely.  :-P~~~~~~

I'm from Illinois.  We don't seem to have the dumb religious-thing as much as Alabama, but our finances are in shambles and 2 of our Governors are in Prison.  So proud...

We have just as much state level corruption here, but they're all self-righteous, too. It's nauseating. And we have one former governor that went to jail. Don Seigelman. The only governor of this state to ever have any damn sense. He got sent to prison on some sort of frame-job about a bad business deal, that may not even be illegal. The real reason was that he was a huge proponent of an education lottery for the state. He is supposed to be taking his case to the US Supreme Court. I hope he wins. Big.

Like booklover, I'm also from Illinois, where we have strict two term limits for governors.  One in office, the other in federal prison. As of yet, we don't have the batshit religionists running the state (thank Quetzalcoatl), but Illinois Medicaid checks are starting to bounce, and the state is over $5 billion behind in unpaid bills, and sinking deeper in debt. At this rate, I might be coming to Alabama for a handout.

Well I'm certainly not going to WI unless Scott Walker is recalled!!!!

I have lived in the US for 9 years now and I think that only in the last 2 years have I noticed this decline in sanity - in a lot of different states but particularly in the south (I live in Tx). The conservatives are really outdoing themselves and I am afraid of the destruction they will cause that may not be able to be fixed easy.

I have even been considering moving back to Australia recently because I just don't like it here any more. I would have to give up everything I have worked for here though and it would be a big move for me but the thoughts keep creeping in every time I hear this nonsense.

The other night on Jon Stewart, he highlighted the 'War on...' Fox news way of describing anything and everything that is happening right now and though funny, really quite scary. The war on women, the war on drugs, the war on religion etc etc, the list goes on. They should really be talking about the war on sanity and reason.

It is sad and depressing, America was a country that the world looked up to but not any more. One can only hope that the nation wakes up and stomps out the crazy.

Sandi, I can't count the people I've heard say they'd move to Australia (or New Zealand) if they could.  I know there are problems there, but I know they don't have the hyper-religious insane funded by the rich running the government, as we did 2001 - 2009 and could again (barf).  I sort of hope you stay; we need rational people.  Since the 1980 election it's been mostly downhill.

This does make me wonder how far mass psychosis can go.  If history is any judge, it can go very far.  Jesus save me.

It is seriously sad and crazy how far backwards the USA is going.  I think we are the butt of many jokes in many other nations.  So proud to be an American.  Well, I'm so proud to be an American who uses REASON and the CONSTITUTION, not PRETEND Sky-Dad and his" truth"-book.

Overall, I don't think either 'Bama or Georgia is any worse off than Texas, where I live.  After all, we have PERRY! 

That IS true James.  AND W lives there.

Ah, Rick Perry. Pray for sense.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service