The Select Committee on Benghazi aims for impeachment of the President

There have been—so far—nine investigations into the incident in Benghazi on September 11, 2012. Five House committees and two Senate committees have looked into it along with the Accountability Review Board of the State Department and the FBI.

The House Oversight Committee chaired by Darrell Issa (my congressperson) has not yet finished its investigations and just a few days ago Issa subpoenaed John Kerry to testify. Republicans, however, have grown impatient with Issa's clumsy and ineffective attempts to tie Benghazi firmly to the White House. They have finally realized that he will not give them what they want: solid grounds for impeachment.

Later today the House will vote, along party lines, to establish a select committee consisting of 7 Republicans and 5 Democrats to conduct a new investigation, subsuming all the evidence gathered by the previous five House Committee hearings. Only the Republicans will have the authority to call witnesses. The chair of this select committee will be South Carolina's Trey Gowdy, a former prosecutor, known as a bulldog in the courtroom. The effort to build him up as an incorruptible lawyer with impeccable credentials has begun in the media.

The goal here is not an objective investigation of what happened at Benghazi, but an attempt to find a plausible charge on which the House can vote to impeach the President. If, as expected, the GOP wins control of the Senate in November, the Senate—which would try Obama— would be controlled by the Republicans and have a much better chance to convict him.

It is a risky strategy, but one with significant payoff. First it might add luster to the 2014 campaign and enhance the already substantial chances of taking the Senate. The election can be touted as a way to clean up a corrupt administration. Secondly it can be used to hurt Hillary Clinton and improve the chances of a Republican President being elected in 2016. That is something for which the big donors will give significant amounts of money. Finally, if successful, it would leave Presidential politics firmly in Republican hands for some time to come—the Democrats would be saddled with two successive Presidential impeachments, something that has never happened. 

Views: 345

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The idea is on the minds of those running for office in Montana:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/02/ryan-zinke-impeachment_n_5...

If Republicans take the Senate, as seems likely now, this is a real possibility.

Well, that's the first time I've seen someone explicitly transfer the label "ant-Christ" from Obama to Clinton.  I dread the next 2-1/2 years -- it just gets uglier and uglier.

}}}}

Our politics has degenerated severely over the last two decades and I believe it is primarily the fault of conservatives.

It's my opinion that any political system needs conservatives for the same reason that a car needs brakes.  It's just foolish to imagine that they are what moves us forward.  Now the Tea Party is more like a reverse gear.  They want to "take the country back".  I'd guess that they want to take it back to about 1858.

}}}}

In 2010 I went to a little local Tea Party in rural Central Colorado just to see what it was about.  It reminded me of nothing more than the Ku Klux Klan rally that my uncle took me to in North Carolina in 1961.  Lots of white, lots of crosses, lots of anger, lots of sweet little old ladies serving cakes and tea.  That movement began as a true (?) grassroots thing with some laudable tenets and a few hair brain ideas.  But it was almost immediately overwhelmed by the extreme right and turned into an Astroturf movement by the likes of the Koch brothers and others of that ilk.

The presidential election of 2000 taught me that, while it might be distasteful, you have to pick a side and defend it.  Several of my liberal compatriots were voting for Nader, and I understood their reasons.  But when Dick Cheney showed up on the ticket it scared the shit out of me, and led me to learn about things like the PNAC, which scared me even more.  I begged my idealistic friends to hold their noses and vote for Gore, but few did, and a few might have made the difference.

}}}}

any political system needs conservatives for the same reason that a car needs brakes.  It's just foolish to imagine that they are what moves us forward.

That's a great line! Is it yours? I'm going to be shameless and steal it, it's just too good.

As far as I know it's mine, but sometimes when I'm into my cups I hear people say things and don't remember it later.  You're as welcome to use it as I was to make it up.

Brakes are fine, but a boat anchor that won't be moved is about as sensible or useful as tits on a bull.

They likely see themselves more as rudder than anchor, but I agree with you Loren.  And as far as I know, all male mammals have nipples, useful or not.  Nature has a deep conservative streak -- I just wish to Dawg that my state didn't.  I'm considering registering as a Republican next time so that I can at least cast a primary vote that counts.  Once the Republican primaries are over here, the election is essentially wrapped up.

At least this time I should be able to vote.  In 2012 I had just moved back to South Carolina from Colorado, something I've done several times before, and couldn't get my registration accepted, despite having a birth certificate showing that I was born here, a passport, change of address documents, etc., etc.  After the election the same documentation sailed through with no problem.  It was the first election I'd missed since 1972.

Where I grew up the expression was, on a bull hog. I dont know there is such a thing as a bull hog, but thst was the expression.

I dont think the GOP is a true conservative movement, or a main street movement. I think they are s bunch of greed - crazed, narcissistic, corrupt, cronyistic, power lusting asses.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service