Bush: No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God.

I'm sure most of us have heard this, otherwise I'm sorry you had to find out this way, but I was thinking today about how he was allowed to say that?

When George Bush was campaigning for the presidency, as incumbent vice-president, one of his stops was in Chicago, Illinois, on August 27, 1987. At O'Hare Airport he held a formal outdoor news conference. There Robert I. Sherman, a reporter for the American Atheist news journal, fully accredited by the state of Illinois and by invitation a participating member of the press corps covering the national candidates, had the following exchange with then-Vice-President Bush. (http://www.positiveatheism.org/writ/ghwbush.htm)

Just think if he'd said something over Christianity? Actually that's my question, what do you all think would have happened?

Views: 11

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

He sure as hell wouldn't have been elected. I find it funny that the people who are supposedly amoral minions of satan (us Atheists according to theists) barely reacted to this whereas Christians would have gone fundamentally apeshit. Goes to show you how far a little logic and rationality can go.
My thoughts exactly. I would say; "May he burn in hell", for those words but - - -
I have a habit of burning incense in my garden and all along my flower borders. Seems as though incense smoke in the home is very very dangerous to your health or I would burn inside as I used to.

The fundamental minister in our tiny town asked me why and I explained my pleasure.

He knew better of course, we was quite assured that I was burning it to hide the smell of marijuana. Marijuana which I don't smoke.

Everytime a new visitor showed up at the back door, I would invite them in, glance at the clock, and wait for the minister to "just stopping by" visit where he would examine the new friends or associates critically make an excuse for stopping by and then leave. I think he was looking for the dope deliveryman.

Eventually I bought my own place and moved away from my next door neighbor, the minister.

In a town of 100 you hear all the rumors...well it is considered a FACT that I smoke marijuana to some here and even the local sheriff has heard it countless times. Of course he has been in my home at my invitation (didn't smell any marijuana) and we have discussed the possibility that the minister could get him into a legal bind and lawsuit should he put much credence into the ministers "suspicions". We talked about how the minister would not quite come out with his suspicions in full but would say things like "Well, I don't want to say anything about what I know" or "They just don't act like they are on the up and up" or "You hear a lot of things about them that are bad but only god knows".

Considering I have a concealed handgun permit, drink beer with the sheriff and his (mutual) friends and occasionally bullshit with him at his home...I rather think this two bit minister and his 18 count "congregation" on Sundays only (unless it is hunting season) just might consider himself patriotic? I can imagine how he was regarded in grade school and high school and I do know that he is generally disliked in town. His wife is a "bobble-head", one son gay, one in Bible school, daughter married and gone and a nagging rumor of barely escaping a child abuse indictment in his last appointment and the list goes on.

So, I ask you...if I can uncover so much in a snitchy little fun dummie minister in a poedunk town...just what the hell is in the back of a man like Bush? Does he have any actual friends? Not associates, friends? What was he arrested for or charged with or accused of as a kid? How many crimes has he committed in his political career? What kind of grades was he really making in school? What was he like in grade and high school? Abortions? Pregnancies? Secret "annulments",

With a post like this about Bush and Sherman et al...I think you have only scratched the surface of a man that is an abomination should all ever be revealed. I correlate data and Bush is a full to empty belly-puke.
I don't know that theists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This isn't one nation under God.
With this article, there can be little doubt of it: rationalists / atheists are The Last Minority It is Okay to Discriminate Against.

Peeps ... is it time for some en masse ACTION, here or what?!?
Hows this for rumored irony:
Some of the current potus's university credits were paid by guess who...
cia, meaning you know who.

Perhaps the mistake of putting all the thought processees in one basket has changed his mind, mr. b pt.1 that is.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

Latest Activity

Warren Jappe commented on Steve Shives's video
29 minutes ago
Warren Jappe posted a video

It's good to be anti-Islam

...but not anti-Muslim. Christians burned alive, beheaded, crucified and tortured to death http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/christians-are-being-bur...
45 minutes ago
Pat replied to Raj's discussion Bible: all laws must be obeyed
48 minutes ago
Pat replied to Polaroidxxx's discussion Atheist Confetti
56 minutes ago
John Jubinsky added a discussion to the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
sk8eycat replied to Steph S.'s discussion Noah movie religious controversy
1 hour ago
Sentient Biped replied to Raj's discussion Bible: all laws must be obeyed
3 hours ago
Loren Miller replied to Polaroidxxx's discussion Atheist Confetti
3 hours ago
Steve Shives posted a video

Chapters Eleven and Twelve - An Atheist Reads Simply Christian

The examination of N.T. Wright's Simply Christian continues with a look at Chapter Eleven: Worship, and Chapter Twelve: Prayer.
3 hours ago
booklover replied to James M. Martin's discussion World Wrestling's Steve Austin on Why Same Sex Couples Should be Allowed to Marry
4 hours ago
Michael Penn replied to James M. Martin's discussion World Wrestling's Steve Austin on Why Same Sex Couples Should be Allowed to Marry
4 hours ago
booklover replied to Steph S.'s discussion Noah movie religious controversy
4 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service