This time I am in argument with my mother over "under god" being in the pledge and how we are disrespectful to our country for not saying it. I am going insane with people confusing patriotism with or pledge that was altered in 1954 and violates our first amendment. I am very much in agreement with the rest of our allegiance; just not the "god" part. Any other rants out there?

Views: 390

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Right you are, Jerry.

Do they need a dominant/submissive relationship?

I remember, as a young kid leaving a service, thinking how we gave God the sorts of allowances we'd never tolerate from a human leader, and not being sure that was right.

Then again, domination and submission are supposed to be basic behaviors from the "reptile brain".

Tom - that is a great insight.  Isn't it interesting too that before the words were "indivisible" and since all we have done is divide based on ethnicity and religion?  Almost 60 years of dividing people on based on superficial qualities.  Oh how proud should I be of our human race?

People think since they've heard it that way their whole life, it must have been there from the beginning. They have no clue about the history of it. I just wish everybody understood that this nation was legally formed by a bunch of atheists and deists. Payne, Jefferson, Franklin, Washington. One of their core principals was to not allow the government to blackmail the people with religion. Frackin drives me nuts that people think they were like puritans. Ugh.

You may already be aware of this, but it is useful ammo:  The Treaty of Tripoli, Article 11

Not aware of that treaty but will look it up. You are right- they think it' s been there since whenever way back when it was formed. We are disrespecting those who chose to leave it out.
You were a little heathen boy from the start. ;)
Porky knows how it was.
If Porky says it this way, then it should be this way!
Watching this as a kid, I never even noticed the absence of "under God", nor the fact that the flag only has 48 stars (as Alaska and Hawaii weren't yet states). 

One nation, yes. And divisible by religion.

That is too true Tom.  Sad, but true.
It disrespects our country to have those damn words in there.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service