Am I the only one more disturbed by the current pope? He's not better, he's just a better mascot for a religion that still won't take responsibility in regard to its child molestation issues or how their politics hinders the world. The fact that he is better at placating does not mean he is DOING good. I still don't see them compensating victims, or changing their socially conservative programs. People are still getting aids at an increasing level because of their anti-contraception policies. Women are still second class citizens in the church. They still fund anti-gay marriage groups. They still push against a proper secular education, refusing to get out of the way of standardized public schools. And they still move money around so that churches don't needs to pay out for molesting kids.

If anything, this man is more dangerous. Before, the pope looked like an evil douche, representing his religions true intention. Now he's just a false front, and people seem to be fooled by it.

It's kind of like saying that chemical weapons are ok, because their CEO is a giant living teddy bear. Pay no attention to the millions of people's faces melting off, because mister snuggles is giving out free hugs and loves children...even faceless mutated children.    ಠ_ಠ

Tags: New, Pope, The

Views: 353

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Loren, if anything, the idea of a "nicer" catholicism would be concerning for me.  I think many people have been getting the point, that catholicism is horrendous, self serving, and hate filled.   If the re-branding results in many thinking there is a nicer, friendlier catholicism, the church's hemorrhaging of members and money could slow.

They aren't fooling you or me, but we are not their target audience.

Here's why I think Frankie the Gaucho is worse than his predecessor, Joey the Rat. Frankie reminds me of the classic book by Hannah Arendt, Eichmann in Jerusalem. The subtitle was "The Banality of Evil." Eichmann, who ran the bureaucracy of the Holocaust, looked like your next door neighbor who mowed his lawn on Saturday morning. Watch his trial. Try to convince me he is not a well spoken, middle class, articulate, nondescript, person who could be a welcomed member of the neighborhood. And, the absolute epitome of the darkest side of the evil lurking in humanity. But, looking at him, he actually seems like a nice guy you might want to have a beer with.

Same thing with Pope Frankie the Gaucho. Looking at Goering and Hitler, you see evil incarnate. Looking at Eichmann, you see a guy you'd hold a door for at the store. Looking at Benedict (Joey the Rat), you want to vomit. Looking at Pope Francis, you think, "Hey, he seems decent." Problem is, he is the smiling and seemingly tolerant face of the same evil that his predecessors of 1,700 years having been foisting on humanity.

The "banality of evil" is somthing I think about a lot. There must be an ancient god or a latin word for that. If not we should create one. I was thinking to call it Kardashianism but that is the evil of banality - not the same thing.

Jeremy, I very much like what you wrote and share your disdain for the "kinder, gentler" version of subordination of women, attempting to control their lives, the whitewashing of child abuse and molestation, and harboring of pedophilia priests. Of course I agree with his support of GLT and whatever initials I am forgetting. Obviously, his reversal of principles and practices is appropriate for such attributes, however, he is not making the fear of pedophilia any less. If priests who molested boys and girls and exploited women were revealed and dealt with in a straightforward way, providing public support for the victims of their manipulations, I might be willing to take his change of heart as a good thing. As it is now, I just feel he is creating a safer haven for exploitation and manipulation for sexual gratification. 

As to the rights of women, financial, and political rights of men and women, there continues to be a keeping some down and submissive, sucking society dry of time and money, nothing is changing. The whole notion of obedience is not being addressed and is the key to what is basically wrong with religion in the first place. As long as people believe they must obey some authority, religion will continue to be a political, economic, and religious exploiter. 

Pope Francis did give his disciples a good foot wash.  But what the church needs is a new Viet Namese pope.  Then the Holy Father could wash their feet and give ‘em a 20-dollar pedicure.  He could then put the double sawbuck in the poor box. 

It’s a win/win idea.  The slave/priests will feel spiffy and cool, while the homeless get 20 bucks to buy cheap wine and pizza.

Brilliant idea. It would wash down well.

Pat, there’s a fascinating old movie with Kenneth Branagh on this subject called the Wannsee Conference.  Eichmann was the very efficient secretary all right, but the real star of the show was Reinhard Heydrich.  Fifteen top ranking Nazis, mostly lawyers, arrive at the “Final Solution.” 

What’s amazing is the general light headedness and jocosity of the attendees when planning and scheming the annihilation of millions of Jews.  Eichmann was the quintessential bureaucrat, but Heydrich was the ultimate Nazi ideologue. 

Heydrich was a perfect example of how a memeplex, ideology, can take over the central nervous system such that all the host thinks about is the propagation of the memeplex, in this case Nazism. 

Ironically, the American counterpart of Heydrich was J. Edgar Hoover.  Both had dossiers on everybody.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service