Theological non-cognitivism posits the improbability of articulating; quintessentially, what god is in propositional logic. I conversed with a bishop not too long ago and the query he stated was: do you believe in god? My response was: I don’t understand the question.

In elementary phases of the English language, we learn propositional phrases contain truth values—they possess true and false statements; however, cannot contain both simultaneously. An example would be:the moon is made up of yogurt. Albeit, this statement is false, it still posits a truth value; it can be proven true or false. However, to state: god exists is problematic—for god cannot be defined in comprehensible terms; thus, cannot withstand scrutiny under the guise of truth values.

With the entire linguistic acrobatics theologians purport, if their claims cannot pass the elementary stage of propositional logic, the conversation is dead before it starts. By the way, our conversation only lasted five minutes; the bishop didn’t know what god is either; the gavel landed!

Tags: atheism, god, language, logic, non-cognitivism, philosophy, propositional

Views: 171

Replies to This Discussion

Oh dear, Our Serene And Holy Deity The Distinguished Flying Spaghetti Monster has been whining that I did not fully honour the deity's name by capitalising all parts of the titles; and I overlooked the linguini too. To put that right I am correcting the penultimate paragraph of the comment about the precious message.  

"Like many others, I like eating a plate of spaghetti and meat balls, but in doing so I am certainly not eating any part of His Worshipful And Regal Pastafarian, Linguini Exquisite, The Flying Spaghetti Monster----a.k.a His WARPLE The Flying Spaghetti Monster."

ROFLOL!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service