Today I got into a theological debate with a Christian on Facebook who is the friend of a friend regarding whether or not an historical Jesus existed which I myself seriously doubt, and even if Jesus did exist it's highly doubtful he was divine.

The person who I was debating brought up the letter from Pontius Pilate to Tiberius Caesar and suggested I Google it, which I did and found that there was indeed such a letter.

My question is, is the letter authentic? Was it really written by and for the people it claimed to be? Or is this another Christian scam like the Shroud of Turin and the Josephus fraud?

Does anyone have more information on this or know of any websites or anything that gives accurate unbiased information about this?

Views: 7807

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Agreed. If he can't even be proven to have lived, he can't be proven to have risen and so the whole of Christianity evaporates thereafter. His having risen is fundamental to the faith.

Without that all that's left is a general message of 'don't be an asshole' which is something that can stand entirely on its own without need of space dad or zombie Jew propping it up.

Discounting Jesus, the magic and miracles and prayers become myth and we can stop doing stupid things like faith healing and asking Jesus-genie to grant us wishes.
I don't mean to come across as an asshole here, but deism is theism. Why join an atheist and agnostic web community if you consider yourself a deist? Just curious.
I agree. It's fine that he's a deist but there a pleanty of sites a believer can go to. If he believes in a being who created the universe whom he calls "The Master" then quite simply he's a theist.
Let's put it this way, the only reference to this letter is in the Gospel of Nicodemus written long before Christianity became a legal faith in Rome. This gospel was of course rejected by Christians for a variety of reasons and wasn't really considered as a part of the orthodox canon. How precisely is it that a Christian managed to obtain this letter to the emperor at a time when it was technically illegal to even be a Christian? They didn't exactly sell letters to the Roman emperor in local book stores. There is zero indication that Pilate ever converted to Christianity which is all the proof you need that he didn't actually write this letter (seriously if Pilate had Christians would mention it in every conversation).
Fact: Christianity (like all religions) was created on one lie after another...the Acts of Pilate happen to be one of the more obvious lies Christians told.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service