The lack of requirement for an inner ear in a non-rotating planet.

IF and it's a big if, we were on a non rotating yet orbiting planet the dinosaur would not have needed an inner ear. It's only on a rotating planet such an instrument of balance would be needed.Once again with a broad brushstroke, how else could creatures so massive move about a rotating planet or even stand. And if orbital conditions aren't so different how is the elephant so tiny in comparison as the largest land mammal. Yet in the sea where body mass is bouyed i doubt that whales have ever been much larger. So back to the bone collecters, if other bones and configurations happen in limbs etc why not an inner ear. And don't shout at me if it's illogical, but i feel it also a point of not shutting your own minds up in the same sense of self rightousness as the theists. Just a layman asking questions if one kind of evolving and adaptation, if on form why not the other.

Views: 28

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Photons would need a distribution of mass in space to have a moment of inertia in order to have angular momentum; so, offhandedly, I'd go for "no". And speaking of mass, calculating angular momentum from relativistic mass sounds like an absurdity. More strictly speaking, a photon following a curved path might be able to be considered to have an angular momentum about an axis far outside itself--although since this would be due to curvature of space, I don't know if it "counts".
Jaume, do photons have angular momentum?

OK, that obviously wasn't a good analogy, and maybe I'm totally wrong about it, but I had a feeling that a non-spinning moon coming close enough to the Earth to be orbitaly captured would behave just like it does now (showing always the same face to us), without any transitional phase. Then again, I haven't toyed with ballistics, geometric gravity and angular momenta for a quarter of a century, and my neurons probably got rusted more than I'd like to admit.
Well, neurons have angular momentum. At least mine do. And then I have to sit down for a while.
Can i still hold on to the fact that acceleration must be part of any equations Jason. Plus the fact i seem to have been raised with the misconception that there is a side of the moon we never see.
David, it is true that the moon only shows one side to the Earth. It is not true that there is a "dark side" of the moon, or at least, not a permanently dark side. All sides of the moon face the sun every 28 days. Since it takes 28 days for the moon to travel around the Earth, and the moon is spinning in the same direction it is orbiting, and its spin and its orbit both take the same length of time (28 days), the same side of the moon always faces the Earth.
The moon is turning granted but relative to the position of all other bodies, the earth turns relative to it's own position. Big difference.
It is the earths rotation one is on about. How about realative to our position and as all our assumptions are based realative to our position then i feel it merits consideration. Einstein made the example whereby going past the telegraph poles outside the train window, they move very quickly indeed. Yet step back a distance and they don't move so quickly. The very beggining of the post mentioned the fact that we rotate that was what began the post and we've arrived back via the scenic route to that very point. All our science is based on relationship to the rest of the Universe surely the entire theory of relativity is based on that point for like the moon we move relative to the rest of the universe but spin as well. This effects and informs science. I too am wishing i had a schematic means of putting a few points accross but to inform not patronise :) just a layman having a discussion.
Yes, the Earth is spinning. It is spinning fast enough that it is slightly squashed in at the poles and bulged out at the equator, but not fast enough for animals to notice. The Earth has always spun at about the rate it is currently spinning, at least since animals have been walking around. The Earth's spin and the development of the inner ear are unrelated to each other.
I agree that we have become a little distracted Duanne but as my formal education finished to all intents and purposes at 11, ( the 'sect' had big plans for me) it is productive if a little self indulgent. University lite one may say, and other subjects and rational people as well, a delight for a person ostracized for his views on religion and the abusers that now shun me. Once again sorry about the self indulgence and i'll dig round in the ossified grey matter for my next lessons.
No i understand the frustration as reticence (and a lack of diagrams of course) means that i have'n't quite put the point accross myself. I understand that we are moving accross a few axis which after all was the point i was trying to make but drawing a few wrong conclusions along the way, there's not too much wrong with my logic systems honest. As for being snarky, i've had a couple of prison sentences. Now that's a place that is snarky so i should be able to manage vigorous debate with exasperated scholars, absolutely no offence taken.
P.S. Wait till we get onto Big Bang theory, better order the valium now!
David, I very much appreciate your attempts to understand these things and that you've had to overcome a lot to get here. I even enjoy explaining things like this, but it would be helpful if you'd read thru the links we're supplying for some background. Wikipedia does have useful graphics about these things on occasion, and is (usually) written in a very accessible way. You've asked some of your questions several times over despite fairly clear answers, which suggests to me that you're missing some background education that would help you understand our answers. You seem genuinely inquisitive, so I encourage you to follow your nose a bit on Wikipedia. It's far from perfect, especially on controversial subjects, but for basic factual information it's really pretty good, and the bottom of every entry has reference links for more info.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service