http://www.salon.com/2013/01/16/religion_may_not_survive_the_internet/

i know it's been often discussed, but this article is worth the read.  Atheists lose their faith in a variety of ways.  20+ years ago the path to enlightenment was, well, darker.  thoughtful and nimble minds were only able to swallow religious mantra for so long before vomiting it back up.  but much of that ability depended on just how religious your parents were.  should you have found yourself in a fundy household, it's likely that the pressure and indoctrination you experienced were just too much to break away from.  resources were limited.  like-minded people were too scarce.  information was too elusive. 

no longer.  the internet has aided and abetted countless freethinkers to break free.  and it's only going to get better.  i'm so very pleased that many more people are able to leave their dusty old religions behind.  thank you, internet. 

Views: 498

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Alan Perlman, Oh! it isn't only about Abrahamic faiths to which I refer; however, the claim of love, and care, and compassion in the past has resulted in some pretty noteworthy hypocrites and we like to imagine those days have passed into ancient history. NO! Just look at the fuss kicked up by anti-GLBTs and we see persecution continues as strong now as in primitive days ... we just don't burn people at the stake now, there are judgments, accusations, and threats to mental and emotional safety in this very day by those who don't "believe" in homosexuality.

Now, to be true to my claim of wanting to get past religion and on too celebration of atheism, I celebrate the many fine individual qualities and refute the dreadful acting out behaviors of GLBT. They have a right to react any way that works for them.

I just enjoy sitting with GLBT and learning how their lives flourish and hearing their dreams for their futures.

Religious people love to talk a good game, but the behavior is all too often otherwise.  Gay/lesbian isn't my issue personally, but it is definitely a humanist issue...and why is it always religious people who want to persecute them?

I understand. Black civil rights issues and GLBT issues are not mine personally, but the underlying principle is mine. In fact, I learned a lot in the 1960s during the civil rights struggle to use with feminist issues. One important thing I learned then was to have a tough skin ... I was called everything you can imagine when teaching black kids and it has been no better with women's issues. 

I am too old now to do any of the interesting and exciting things, however, this is a great time of life to read up on historical roots of prejudice and recognize the role religion plays in dehumanizing their members ... not blacks and women, but their own members brainwashed with delusions and denials.  

Alan Perlman, thanks for the great resource! I think there is one here that will hold my interest and imagination. meetup.com

You're welcome.  Being in a restaurant with a group of two dozen heretics, plus dinner and beer and lots of making fun of religion -- like a rejuvenating breath of oxygen!  I went to that group (Vernon Hills IL) for 2-3 years.  Very sharp, fun people.  Good luck.

I wish I could have been at a neighboring table and laughed with you. 

J'aime l'Internet parce que je peux mettre la merde sur la religion.

I agree that the Internet is having an impact on free thinking not only in the area of religion but also in the area of oppressive governments.  No wonder so many of these governments try to ban social networks such as Facebook and Twitter.  Apparently, these networks were a line of communication during last year's Arab Spring.

Lilly, I agree that the internet opens up lines of communication. Freedom and justice presents a lonely voice when each one of us talks to ourselves about problems needing solutions. By joining with others, we can coalesce and have more power.

Napoleon Translate "j'aime l'internet parce que je peux mettre la merde sur la religion" from French.
English: I love the internet because I can put shit on religion.
Is this what you said? Sorry, I am learning from you, but am horridly slow.

Sounds like you have some issues with religion as well.
Have you found ways to rejoice in being atheist? Things like no dogma, or traditions, different values, finding wisdom and strength from an open mind, etc.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Deidre posted a status
"Almost Friday.........cannot wait! Happy Halloween-eve :) Tonight is 'devil's night' I believe?"
13 minutes ago
Pat replied to jay H's discussion Free speech (right)
23 minutes ago
Pat commented on Joan Denoo's blog post My Grandfather, Alphonse Fulgentino Jules Denoo
27 minutes ago
Profile IconFormer Pastor, kavitha, Jim Reynolds and 6 more joined Atheist Nexus
28 minutes ago
booklover replied to jay H's discussion Free speech (right)
39 minutes ago
booklover commented on Little Name Atheist's group Atheist Ailurophiles
42 minutes ago
Randall Smith commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
Randall Smith commented on Daniel W (Sentient Biped)'s group Godless in the garden
1 hour ago
Susan Stanko replied to C.L.A.W.S.'s discussion Stem Cell Research & MS in the group Atheists who love Science!
1 hour ago
Randall Smith replied to Lmnopicue's discussion dahl pasta in the group Food!
1 hour ago
Randall Smith posted a blog post
1 hour ago
Dyslexic's DOG replied to Deidre's discussion Finding self respect after religion
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service