http://www.salon.com/2013/01/16/religion_may_not_survive_the_internet/

i know it's been often discussed, but this article is worth the read.  Atheists lose their faith in a variety of ways.  20+ years ago the path to enlightenment was, well, darker.  thoughtful and nimble minds were only able to swallow religious mantra for so long before vomiting it back up.  but much of that ability depended on just how religious your parents were.  should you have found yourself in a fundy household, it's likely that the pressure and indoctrination you experienced were just too much to break away from.  resources were limited.  like-minded people were too scarce.  information was too elusive. 

no longer.  the internet has aided and abetted countless freethinkers to break free.  and it's only going to get better.  i'm so very pleased that many more people are able to leave their dusty old religions behind.  thank you, internet. 

Views: 497

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Glad to get some hopeful news for a change!

This is an important first step.  The Internet enables us to spread information and build communities rapidly.  But things will not really change in this most religious of countries until we really have separation of church and state, which can be achieved only through political power.  That means a sizable number of openly secular politicians who will work, at local, state and national levels, to remove religion's special privileges, including government handouts and immunity from criticism and taxation.

Dalai Lama's wisdom is not original but worth noting.

Agree completely Alan. As much as we might like to see agreement and bi-partisan cooperation, one must understand how things are gotten done. To paraphrase, power is taken, not given. It must be built up by likeminded persons who recognize their common goals. As voters, it is our job to identify those with goals we feel strongly enough to support. We must have the wisdom to pick our battles carefully.

That there might be an explicit direction of separation of church and state in the constitution is irrelevant. It is enought that we see the value of this separation and press to make it fact. I believe it to be good for believers and non-believers alike.

Thanks for the reply.  The vast chasm between us and believers is in your last sentence.  No truly religious Christian or Muslim would agree.  It is VERY IMPORTANT that there be a connection between govt. and God, and that it constantly be reinforced.  They do not think it's good to separate church and state. In fact, the closer, the better. 

I think the 1st Amendment didn't go far enough: not only should there be no state religion...but the govt. should not behave as if there is a state religion -- or any religion, really, as opposed to, e.g., the Inauguration hoopla, which called on God at every turn.  No politician has the courage to depart from this, to be openly secular.  He/she wouldn't be elected. Not to mention the death threats.   

Natural evolution of an idea is a slow process, it is sometimes frustrating too. But Myths can't survive in the face of todays knowledge. They are bound to die.

Yes, internet has accelerated the process of death of religon not in one but in many ways.

did you read the article i linked in the original posting?

"Atheists lose their faith (in a variety of ways).

That's surely an oxymoron

not sure i follow.  

"Atheists lose their faith in a variety of ways."

Not all atheists have had faith, including myself.

fair enough.  i could be wrong but i think that the majority of Atheists grew up in some religion.  i've got no evidence to back this up, but it sure seems logical.  for those, like you, who grew up as an Atheist i guess this discussion doesn't really apply.

I'm with you, Dustin.  "Some religion" covers a lot of ground, from fundamentalists for whom religious tales are true and who spend a LOT of time praying and observing...to lukewarm, go-along, pretend-believers like my parents (I know my Dad was a skeptic, but he had nowhere to go).  I never really had any faith to lose.

i was using the term "faith" more generically.  more like a substitute for "religion".  while i personally was never particularly faithful i considered myself a Catholic until i was 14.  it came up quite a lot while i was growing up, since my last name was Jewish and kids could be particularly cruel.  i often boasted that i wasn't Jewish but Catholic.  still i hated church, CCD, and all the rituals/ceremonies and most of what i was "learning" never made any sense to me.  so while it wasn't exactly leaving my faith, which i likely never really had, i did leave my religion.  if that makes sense. 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service