let's face it, the highly religious, the ones we here have the biggest problem with, is the base of the Republican Party.  given this, news of its imminent demise should thrill most Atheists.  and make no mistake, barring a gargantuan shift in policies and rhetoric, they are absolutely on the path towards extinction.  

it's common knowledge that the GOP is an old, white party.  while not an absolute, that is an accurate enough description of the Republican Party today.  two trends to keep in mind here.  one, old people tend to die at a faster rate than young people.  two, white people are shrinking as a percentage of the electorate.  they are running out of supporters, and it's happening quicker than many thought.  

take yesterday's election.  President Obama won over 90% of the black vote and 70% of the latino and asian vote.  Romney did well with seniors and whites overall.  meanwhile, the country is getting browner.  the GOP may end up becoming a whites only club, a nativist and pale collection of isolationists who choose to ignore the changing demographics of the country.  worse, they may choose to keep it this way.  if they choose this path, their extinction is all but guaranteed.  their option would be to abandon their social issues, immigration policies, and economic austery programs and to open up their tent through real policy change.  

anyone wanna bet which way they go?

for Atheists, either way is a win.  if the GOP becomes irrelevant then the power of the religious right goes with it.  if they truly make changes to make more people inclusive and begin to part with their religious base Atheists will celebrate.  yesterday's election is better for Atheists than most people would think.  

Views: 1411

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"As to the southern, racist members being brilliantly dumped ?? I doubt the Dems of the time were that far sighted."

We agree; Dem policies are often soft-headed and Repub policies are often hard-hearted.

They balance each other and I have long been an independent.

When the fundamentalists joined the Repubs, thanks to Reagan's invitation, I resolved to not vote Repub until the fundies leave. They didn't leave; their refusal to compromise is destroying the party and many former Repubs (those who haven't gone down the Libertarian dead end) now vote Dem.

The early Federalist Party (Hamilton's 'rich and well-born') died. So did the Whigs (whoever they were). Splinter parties too numerous to name have died. We might someday have a genuine conservative party, composed of Repubs capable of rational thought and today's conservative Dems.

"The Republican Party is an odd collection of social conservatives and fiscal conservatives and small businesses."

Genuinely small businesses, or Repub "small" businesses? Where are billionaires?

I consider myself independent, and have supported Dems in the past - Exp. Clinton first term. I have a hard time with the current bunch, although I have to hold my nose with many of the current Repubs as well. 

I believe "genuinely small businesses" are voting more and more for Repubs over time, but I don't have the specific %s.

Repub "small"/large businesses and Democrat "small"/large businesses support whoever will help them more at a given point in time. GE is a big Obama backer, Oil companies support Repubs. Drug companies have swung more to Obama recently (Pfizer, etc). In 2008, Wall Street firms were big contributors to Obama, they swung more to Romney in 2012. "Green" energy firms are Dem, coal companies are now Repub. 

The billionaire individuals are fairly evenly divided between parties ? You have the Gates/Silicon Valley/Hollywood California types and the Katzenberg, Warren Buffett types who support Dems. Many of the rich in New York, etc. And you have the Koch brothers, Adelson, many of the Texas rich, etc who support Repubs.  

Warren Buffett - I am not sure why he supports Obama and higher taxes. When asked what would be a better use of his money - giving to a foundation or to the government. He did not hesitate and said his foundation, as it is more efficient. He does everything he can to avoid paying income taxes, and plans to give most of his wealth to the Gates Foundation to avoid paying estate taxes. He is generally given a free pass by the liberal media, which is why he supports Obama, I guess - HELLO. 

Jim, you believe "genuinely small businesses" are voting more and more for Repubs over time, but don't have the specific %s?

Your making the claim is wrecking your own credibility.

But that's okay; 'tis a small loss.

Republicans may have reached bottom this week with two actions in the Senate— 1) failing to ratify the disabilities treaty for fear it would interfere with home schooling and 2) having Senator McConnell propose a bill he thought would embarrass Democrats who voted against it and then filibustering his own bill when they agreed to a vote. All sensible conservatives ought to be embarrassed by both actions. It shows a party caught in the vise of extremism.

I say 'may have reached bottom' because with the GOP it's hard to tell where bottom is—they keep plumbing new depths.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service