Why is it that religionists accept the concept of heaven without thinking it through to its logical conclusions?  To them, that is what this world is all about.  Live your life within the guidelines of morality, as dictated by a book that could not be more irrelevant to the modern world, so that you may enter the kingdom of heaven …. otherwise ye shall be condemned to the firey pits of hell.  Oh yeah – it’s for eternity, by the way.  Eternity.  As in forever and ever and ever and ever.

Maybe it’s just me, but when you add that “eternity” caveat, doesn’t that make both versions of the afterlife seem like nothing to look forward to?  Of all the vacations that I have ever taken, and of all the vacations that I would like to take but can’t afford to, I cannot imagine one that I wouldn’t eventually be sick of.  You could send me to my own private island in the most beautiful Caribbean waters on earth, with all the free amenities, servants, delicious food and drink that I can partake in – it may take a year, it may take 5 years, but eventually it will get old and I will want to get the hell out of there.  Maybe I’m off a bit, and it would take 20 years to become painfully tired of such an environment – but what is 20 years in comparison to eternity?  Maybe it will take 1,000 years to get sick of it, but again - what is 1,000 years in comparison to eternity?  

There is virtually nothing that a billionaire cannot afford to buy, and consequently I imagine that not much of anything falls into the category of a luxury at that point.  If heaven is a land of milk and honey where you are richly rewarded with anything you desire, what would you have a desire for that would last an eternity?

If hell is eternal, wouldn’t you get used to that burning sensation pretty quickly?  What is torture if you cannot eventually die from it?  How do trillions of souls, who cannot die again, not stand up to one devil and change their environment?  How does that devil manage to control all those souls and still find time to mess with mortals on earth?

If doing things like gambling, partying, having sex, cursing, telling lewd jokes, not going to church, working on a Sunday, etc. is what lands you in hell, and doing things like singing religious hymns, proselytizing, going to church, and living a quiet, sanitized life of utter mediocrity is what gets you into heaven, which kind of souls would you rather be surrounded by for ETERNITY?  Once you get beyond the paradise surroundings, and you are sick to death of being waited on hand and foot, and tired of playing golf every single day with gold plated clubs and diamond tipped golf balls, and don’t want to ever see another luxury item again – the only thing you will have left to suffer through eternity with will be the trillions of other souls who you are surrounded by.  It sickens me to think of myself ever being that position.

Once you think it through, the fact is that the only just reward that a god could ever grant would be the opportunity to come back to earth, or some other non-eternal place, and do it all over again.  If I can’t have that, then leave me to disintegrate into the earth and become a part of whatever else happens to absorb me.  The heaven concept sounds grand, but thanks to that eternity clause it will eventually be as maddening as hell.

Views: 661

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Since we bred with Neanderthals as well as some other likely offshoots on the tree of primates, we'd have their naked souls to contend with as well.  LOL!   We'd even meet Lucy and her ape descendants possibly way back to the lungfish they evolved from.

Yes, Heaven would be a real mess!

But only if those lungfish accepted Jesus as their Lord and Savior!  No dirty Musselman lung fish!

ROFL Humble, young people here would only think about Heaven if they could be Super Saiyans and meet Pikachu there.  Pokemon Theology is more powerful here than Christian Theology and it appears it's the same in Japan.  Pikachu has a bigger following here than Jesus Christ.

That's what I am putting my hopes in, G'Day.  I would take a vague animism over Xianity any day.

Imagine lungfish trying to pray to a deity that resembles a human (man was made in his likeness), first site of God would only raise a thought of wtf, and inscribed stone tablets would mean nothing to it. Mabe God made us at the lungfish stage and God is really the likeness of a lungfish. 

It gets worse when you try to think about where heaven is.  Apparently most xians think it is "up there" somewhere.  If there is no physical place indicated, what makes them think they will be happy "there".  It makes my head spin thinking about it.  Since we were born on earth to earthly delights and such, heaven would have to be like a perfect earth.  Didn't "god" try that already?  If he screwed it up so badly the first time, what makes them think he will do better the next time around?

Well Marcus, according to Genesis, there is a firmament above us that has all the stars stuck on it.

Maybe God used skyhooks to attach the stars or even velcro, kiddy paste, etc...

maybe they have trap doors that let our spaceships pass through and next time somebody wants to attempt to be the fastest man falling, instead of jumping from a balloon, they could cling to one of the sky hooks (where the stars are hung) and jump from there.  ROFL! 

Most theologians state that Genesis is Metaphorical.  They are entirely wrong.

The creators of Genesis weren't clever enough to wax metaphorically, they were trying to state what they thought really happened.  It's thus that they were so naive and delusional that they got it so incredibly WRONG!

Aye M8!  :-D

My grandson, recently 15, has long said that heaven and hell are both totally unappealing.  But think like the primitive people who invented them!  Heaven means you won't be too hot or too cold, won't have fleas and bedbugs and mosquitoes nibbling on you, won't have to work long hours so you can barely stay alive.  Add in harp music (why not?), streets of gold (sounds OK), wings (Neato!) and whatever else turns you on.  Uh ... makes you happy.  Sex in heaven?  Missionary position with the same wife forever?  They didn't have time to consider it very deeply.  Hell was probably a projection of long hours in the sun raising crops, itching from chaff and bugs, 24/7 forever.  Ask your righteous relatives to describe heaven for you, in detail.  Then sit back.

Thankfully, we Adventists have Egg White, God's Wholly Profit, to fill in all the details for us!  She had dozens of visions of heaven, sent straight from on high, to flesh out the details for us.  Here is one of her first, where she conveniently names a few of the people she met there.  I would say she got that trick from Dante, but I don't think she was clever enough to read him.  When she did read, though, she usually liked what she found, and often copied it wholesale.  Funny how Adventists forget how much of her inspired word from god is plagiarized.

http://www.ellenwhite.info/ellen_white_life_7b.htm

That was interesting, HP - sounds like a nice place to visit, but I highly doubt I'd want to stay there for eternity.

"So it was the tree of life on either side of the river of life. Its branches bowed to the place where we stood, and the fruit was glorious; it looked like gold mixed with silver."

I would have been like "Dude, I dare you to go pick that fruit."

Every once in a while, i get to pepper people with questions about heaven. It will finally get around to them saying "no one knows". Then i ask them if i can bring anything with me, and they say "don't be ridiculous". Once, my sister got mad at me for asking my nephew about heaven. She made me stop. I think i planted a seed, because recently he said that he doesn't believe all that ghost/haunted house crap, but he still calls himself catholic. I may have a chance to pull him out. The main question that makes them pause is "the location of heaven". I also like the looks i get when i ask "If your brain is dead and in the ground, how do you experience anything?"

Some parents will say anything to keep their children believers!  When I was 11, after the funeral of an uncle, I upset my younger cousin (then 6) by telling her that she couldn't take her favorite teddy to Heaven with her if she died like uncle Bob can't take his favorite hat which we put on his grave, she ran to her father, telling them what I said and they responded, "Don't listen to him, he knows nothing, of course you can take Sam to Heaven."   Yes, it's about telling them anything to keep them, truth means nothing to Christians.  I learned from that age that they are mostly chronic liars.

RSS

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service