In an interview with KTVI-TV on Sunday, the GOP Senate nominee [Rep. Todd Akin (R-Mo.)] was asked if he supported abortion in the case of rape.

"From what I understand from doctors, that's really rare," said Akin said of pregnancy caused by rape. "If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down. But let's assume maybe that didn't work or something. I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be on the rapist."

... (story cont at the link below)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/19/todd-akin-abortion-legitim...

At this point, I shouldn't be surprised and I shouldn't bother telling anyone else that this level of stupid exists in positions of power, but I just can't help it.  It needles at me until I'm about to burst, that there are (supposedly) educated people out there who spew this garbage yet maintain a following.  Granted, he does later "recant" his statement, but the damage is already done.  Maybe the reason I am posting this is that I just need the comfort of smart people right about now.

I hope the man doesn't have any daughters.

Views: 471

Replies to This Discussion

I hate to tell you this, but Akin's at it again.  It's not as offensive as his rape comment, all he did was liken his Democratic opponent to a dog.  The only possible reason it could be considered a semimajor story is because his opponent's a woman.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Future replied to jay H's discussion What the freakin hell is wrong with this country???
1 hour ago
Loren Miller replied to jay H's discussion What the freakin hell is wrong with this country???
2 hours ago
Michael Penn commented on nikki summers's blog post atheist billboard
2 hours ago
Michael Penn replied to jay H's discussion What the freakin hell is wrong with this country???
2 hours ago
John Jubinsky posted photos
2 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's blog post Is god good?
3 hours ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
6 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
7 hours ago
Grinning Cat replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
7 hours ago
Luara replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
7 hours ago
sk8eycat replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Bible is not Great by Soren Sagan in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
7 hours ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina on "Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative" in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
7 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service