In an interview with KTVI-TV on Sunday, the GOP Senate nominee [Rep. Todd Akin (R-Mo.)] was asked if he supported abortion in the case of rape.

"From what I understand from doctors, that's really rare," said Akin said of pregnancy caused by rape. "If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down. But let's assume maybe that didn't work or something. I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be on the rapist."

... (story cont at the link below)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/19/todd-akin-abortion-legitim...

At this point, I shouldn't be surprised and I shouldn't bother telling anyone else that this level of stupid exists in positions of power, but I just can't help it.  It needles at me until I'm about to burst, that there are (supposedly) educated people out there who spew this garbage yet maintain a following.  Granted, he does later "recant" his statement, but the damage is already done.  Maybe the reason I am posting this is that I just need the comfort of smart people right about now.

I hope the man doesn't have any daughters.

Views: 439

Replies to This Discussion

I enjoy hearing from the box.

I want to hear exactly what he thinks "shuts down". 

Maybe the next thing he's going to say is that rapists research their victims, and only choose women who are not ovulating at the time of the crime, or are past menopause. 

Old wrinkled women DO get raped.

About 20 or 30 years ago, the 80+ year-old grandmother of one of the actors on "Dukes of Hazzard" was assaulted and raped in her retirement condo in Florida....  It's NOT about sex, it's about rage and hate, and who knows what.  I mean what sane person would enjoy copulating with someone who is screaming, fighting, and losing control of their sphincters?

I wish more psychological studies were being done on all kinds of criminals; I want to know WHY they do what they do.  I mean, what else do they have to do with their time in prison?  Might as well find out what makes them tick so we can try to prevent others from growing up to be nutters.

Rape is certainly about rage and hate, and I think about power. Terrorising a person to the point that she loses all self-control and dignity gives a rapist what he needs - bleeh!

I note that you need the comfort of smart people at the moment so I will keep this short.

That guy is a monster.

Monster is JUST the right word Napoleon.

Definitely the right word.

I was so upset I posted at Feminist Atheists instead of here. If you're interested.

Didn't mean to ignore you, folks.

I hope this costs the Republican Party crucial votes both inside and outside Missouri!

(Their national platform's "Sanctity and Dignity of Human Life" section is as anti-choice as Todd Akin, claiming the false equivalence that a blastocyst or embryo is an "unborn child" with "a fundamental individual right to life which cannot be infringed.")

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0812/80122.html

http://www.boston.com/politicalintelligence/2012/08/21/republican-c...

"Sanctity"?  That is strictly a religious term, isn't it? 

Do these yo-yos know how many fertilized ova fail to implant in the uterus (about 50%), and are washed out as part of a normal period.  Usually the woman doesn't even know that she was pregnant for a couple of weeks.  Are we supposed to wear some kinda "trap" 24/7 to catch the failures so they can have funerals with microscopic caskets?

A blastocyst is NOT a human being...and I go along with the scientists who say a fetus isn't a person till it develops a central nervous system with the beginning of a brain stem.

Of course a fundamentalist thinks "science" is a dirty word.  I think it's a WONderful word!

Science is a wonderful word.  I'll second that thought.

A blastocyst or embryo or fetus is a potential person, with immense value to a woman with a wanted pregnancy.

A book that helped clarify my thinking in college was Causing Death and Saving Lives by Jonathan Glover. In examining common bases for valuing human life and deciding that murder is wrong, he soundly rejects such things as the "sanctity" of life and not interfering with "God's plan".

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service