We are out of step from the rest of the world. Almost every western nation has it at 18. They realize that you can't call soemone too imature to make an adult decision and then call them an adult at the same time.  18 can join the military, can get married, OWN A GUN and own proptery but can't drink!  A lot of people like to point out that it prevents car accsidents. I would like to point out the number of alohal related car accsidents have been going up since 1998 and the number of alcohal deaths related to alohcal abuse amoung teens has also gone up becuase they drink in private. Really all they did is take drinking out of the public squear for young people. They still drink Deaths still happen ehtier way.  The way we have it now we are discrediting the law and adulthood in the eyes of young adults that break the drinking age law.

At least with lowering the drinking age to 18 we can start an agressive education compagian to encourage SAFE drinking at hightschools and colleges.  Stastsiclly speaking in other european countries they have done this with sex and the amount of teen pregnancy went down.  They probably still hvaing sex but its safe sex. That is the point. We gotten to the point of a society that we can be a little bad and deal with it.

Really i don't think the government should tell anyone want to put in there body. Its to them to make that choice and they are liable if that choice back fires.

I also would like to point out freedom isn't safe.

Views: 674

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

BTW I shared an ocaissional beer with my kid before he was 18 and now he goes out, limits his intake, doesn't binge. He was also taught personal responsibility which I think is missing today.

My dad did the same thing. He shared the occaissional beer before I was 18.  I don't binge drink or anything like that. That needs to be the alternative to the drinking age. Its not the government job to tell adult 18 year olds not to drink. They drink anyway but without moderation.  The drinking age only postpones this if that persons never had a drink before.

I think 18 is a logical drinking age because its when a child becomes an adult. Most 18 years drive, some have a job or go to school. THey are out on there own a lot more and they will find a way to drink anyway.  Just not in public.

"years out makes them drink because they're not supposed to"

Yea it does. It also makes them do harder drugs as well since those drugs are easy to get.  It also breeds disrepect for the law. I think a lot of American laws are unjustfied.

I really think America can take a few pointers from europe on how they do things. 

I think 18 is a logical drinking age because its when a child becomes an adult.

So if the age of maturity was changed to 21 one you would be fine with with the law?

Its more of a question of farirness.  No I would not be fine with the law but I would feel better about it. If adulthood was raised to 21. Then the case can be made that public school should include college or a form of higher education. At least I wouldn't have the burden of paying for school myself and It would be illegal to draft me if ww3 broke out. 
Like most people here I agree about lowering the drinking age, but I don't see why this is such a crucial issue for you. Basically, there are some awkward years where there isn't much to do late night on a Saturday night. I remember once in awhile it sucked, but I found something else to do and got on with my life and eventually I was 21, frequented bars for awhile and then got tired of it. You're not horribly oppressed just b/c you have to wait two years to go to a bar or club (and some clubs do let you in at 18).

Some of those clubs are alcohal free strip clubs.  At least the onces I have seen. There is a lot of awkard nights.  Some nights I get lucky and I can go to a party. The point is the government is doing this and the same people who say they are for individualism, for free trade and a free country are for this drinking age I find it hypocritial.  Its the principle of the thing.  

My biggest concern that some people are talking about a 23 year old drinking age. If you don't fight it. It just keeps gettting worse. 

Why should I just resign myself to this law? Other countires manage to have it at 18. Like the uk. Why isn't it alright there but not here?

Why, in Italy, if you're tall enough to put money on the counter (say 5 years old), are you allowed to buy alcohol, yet the Italians have a very low rate of alcoholism?

We're still a Puritanical society with Sunday blue laws here and there. 

Life is a bitter, nasty business (a "stinking, treacherous game" as an unnamed editor said to Theodore Dreiser), and our puritans want to take possible escape out of our hands.  Teenagers have enough going on in their hassled lives, it seems to me, without being denied escape. We let 'em drive murderous vehicles, but they can't get hammered?  WTF?

Actually, it isn't just the drinking age that determines alcoholism. Genetics play a huge part in rate of alcoholism, and Italians are one of the ethnicities that has a low tendency to alcoholism. A no-drinking-age in another region would have very different results.

Do you see the sky falling in italy?   I love eurpes attuide. Its so relaxed and laid back.

Its not a simple story but the beneifts of the drinking age are also not easily proven becuase there another study indicating off the road alohal deaths are increasing. So really we just do away with the drinking age because its causing all sorts of other problems and forcing polices to enforce laws that are very hard to enforce.  Its a waste.

You have to fight a little bit to get the good life. Young people in those countries don't just take it up the bum. They go out vote, and protest. Young people here don't even think about poltics because its not "cool".  So who does all the voting here? The old. 

"They still drink Deaths still happen ehtier way."

It doesn't appear as though they've hindered your drinking experience.

Cheers.

yes they have. I want to drink at a bar or night club. Its easier for me, more women at these thigns and a bit safer.  Your right in that I drink anyway. So what do we need that law if no one follows it?
no, no, no, no, no....... and i think the age for a license ought to be raised to 18........ 18 is too young to drink, and 16 is too young to drive.  i can't speak for the other things 18 years olds are able to do (most of which i disagree with), but, no, leave the drinking age at 21!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Sentient Biped commented on Loren Miller's photo
6 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to JanBodh's discussion Whats your take on what Gandhi ji said about "mysterious power that makes it self felt". I have felt it few times in my life, have you ?
6 minutes ago
Profile IconSarah Levin, Alex Carrier and Jaydee P joined Atheist Nexus
21 minutes ago
Grinning Cat commented on Grinning Cat's photo
23 minutes ago
chares martel replied to JanBodh's discussion Whats your take on what Gandhi ji said about "mysterious power that makes it self felt". I have felt it few times in my life, have you ?
24 minutes ago
Warren Jappe liked Grinning Cat's photo
1 hour ago
Richard C Brown commented on Joan Denoo's blog post According to the Bible, God drowns, kills, slaughters, genocides, stones, burns, mauls, rapes, crushes, ....
1 hour ago
Gila Guerilla replied to JanBodh's discussion Whats your take on what Gandhi ji said about "mysterious power that makes it self felt". I have felt it few times in my life, have you ?
1 hour ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to James M. Martin's discussion Clown Show Coming: Why the Republitards Will Lose in 2016 Unless They Wise Up and Pick a Charismatic Candidate
1 hour ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to James M. Martin's discussion Clown Show Coming: Why the Republitards Will Lose in 2016 Unless They Wise Up and Pick a Charismatic Candidate
1 hour ago
Hunter Byrd joined Stephen Goldin's group
1 hour ago
matthew greenberg replied to James M. Martin's discussion Clown Show Coming: Why the Republitards Will Lose in 2016 Unless They Wise Up and Pick a Charismatic Candidate
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service