We are out of step from the rest of the world. Almost every western nation has it at 18. They realize that you can't call soemone too imature to make an adult decision and then call them an adult at the same time.  18 can join the military, can get married, OWN A GUN and own proptery but can't drink!  A lot of people like to point out that it prevents car accsidents. I would like to point out the number of alohal related car accsidents have been going up since 1998 and the number of alcohal deaths related to alohcal abuse amoung teens has also gone up becuase they drink in private. Really all they did is take drinking out of the public squear for young people. They still drink Deaths still happen ehtier way.  The way we have it now we are discrediting the law and adulthood in the eyes of young adults that break the drinking age law.

At least with lowering the drinking age to 18 we can start an agressive education compagian to encourage SAFE drinking at hightschools and colleges.  Stastsiclly speaking in other european countries they have done this with sex and the amount of teen pregnancy went down.  They probably still hvaing sex but its safe sex. That is the point. We gotten to the point of a society that we can be a little bad and deal with it.

Really i don't think the government should tell anyone want to put in there body. Its to them to make that choice and they are liable if that choice back fires.

I also would like to point out freedom isn't safe.

Views: 648

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Prior to 1981, 21 was the legal age in Texas. However, when I turned 18 in early 1981, the age to drink had just been pushed back to 18 (yippee!), but it didn't last long (rats!). In late 1981, Texas moved the age up to 19 and then back to 21 in 1983. I can't say why they went back to 21 (and I'm too lazy to research it), but it probably had something to do with negative statistics.

When I was 18, I was pretty responsible with my drinking, but I had friends and knew others who weren't - they were menaces to themselves and others and exhibited little self-control. Interestingly, some of the menace drunks were kids who'd lived in sheltered Baptist households and had never been exposed to even moderate drinking. They left home and went berserk!

My point is - there ain't no way to pin down a "proper" drinking age, but I think 18 is too young because the percentage of irresponsible/immature drinkers will be higher at age 18 than in the 21-year old age bracket. I have no scientific evidence to back that up - only life experience.

You should view people as individuals.  Not as a group. What you are doing is pegging the actions of a few on everyone else.  Stastically speaking blacks commit more crimes then whites. Does that mean we should ban all blacks from owning a gun or a knife?  That what you are basically doing. Same type of dumb logic.

"they were menaces to themselves and others and exhibited little self-control. Interestingly, some of the menace drunks were kids who'd lived in sheltered Baptist households"

You know what kids are doing now of days since its a little harder to get there hand on booze? They do hard drugs like meth, cocain and Pills. Instead of drinking.  I don't think drinking age is having the intended effect.

Those who don't do hard drugs just drink anyway such as myself.

As for your shelter baptist life.  Most teens never learn to drink properly until they drink. I went to a party drank waaaay too much I throw up and felt terrible the next day. Ever since then I been bit more moderate about my drinking.  All you are doing is postponing those who don't drink to 21(which is a minorty but a large one). Isn't a huge maturity level difference. To be honest those who don't learn deserve to die anyway and I will not abstian from drinking for there benefit.

"but I think 18 is too young"

Not to too young to drive a car, to live on yoru own, to have a job and to join the military. It is hpyocritcal and immoral to give someone all the burdens of adulthood but not all the fun of it.  Besides, other countries like the UK and euro places have learn to deal with it. What makes American so speical? They drive more? If you are afraid of dieing in a car then don't drive. Take a bus or train. Or Gasp look out for yourself. All you are doign is punishing law obeying adult citizens by supporting the drinkign age. 

If you want to talk about the numbers. I got some right here.

According to NHTSA estimates, safety belts and airbags have combined to save 206,287 lives between 1975 and 2004. By comparison, NHTSA estimates the 21 MLDA saved 23,733 lives in the same period. Safer automobiles and better enforcement of drunk driving have had a vastly larger life-saving effect that the drinking age.

The reason that the age is uniformly 21 is coercion from the federal government. States are free to make the drinking age 18, but if they do, the federal government won't give them highway funding.
OK, take care of this the old-fashioned way: procure yourself a fake ID. Then party down!

Here are some more number to take into considration. Its the prinple of the thing. That i need to buy a fake id just to drink.  I dont' know how you call this country a free country.

About 1,000 18-24 year-olds die each year off the roadways of alcohol-related causes. That figure has been increasing since 1998. Many of those deaths can be linked to the sharp increase in binge drinking rates amongst that age group and the many negative consequences—alcohol poisoning, assault, vandalism, bodily injury—of excessive and risky alcohol use.

1,000 people die a year because  the drinking age has created a binge drinking culture.  How many lives does MADD say they save a year because of the drinking age? 700 to 800 a year.

legislating the problem doens't fix things. It makes things worse.   100 more people die a year because of it.  Don't you want to save more lives?

So you want to saves lives then bring back the drinking age to 18 and let people drink in public places.  This will also let school consolers talk about the issue without getting sued.

This isn't including the disrepect for the law this is breeding.  If people want this nation to be one of laws. Then people should respect the law not see the law as a somethign imposed by hypocrites that drink themselves and tell you not to.  At the same time call you an adult........

So you are alright with me drinking as long as i have a fake id? Why not legize it as the pot heads say.  Same thing with medical cannbis.
What no one finds it odd that the drinking age might be killing more people? Same failed deal as the drug war.
The legal age for drinking should be raised to 75 and thereafter increased annually in line with statistical information regarding increased life expectancy for the respective jurisdiction. Underaged alcohol users can then go to a 'dealer' who will rip them off with tainted low quality alcohol which might make them sick and  criminalise themselves in the process. Possession of alcohol by underaged users should be an arrestable offence entailing spending the night in a police station cell and taking advice from some stinking lawyer. Thereafter some 'vote buying' politician  can 'get tough' on alcohol users by recommending gaol sentences and a 'three strikes and you're out' policy to the judiciary. Underaged alcohol users in gaol should be given no help in coping with their addiction and left at the mercy of hardened inmates.

Lol that is the logical conclusion if MADD gets there way. I like better how europeon nations view alcohol. Americans are just so crazy. Even the atheist ones just give in to all the fear and panicing sometimes.

I'm just saying that alcohol is an extremely dangerous and destructive hard drug and reflecting on the treatment given to cannabis and other recreational drugs users. It's unfair.

Here in the UK the businessman Richard Branson has called for decriminalisation for possession of recreational drugs.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/branson-backs-drugs-policy-change-23053083...

It is unfair that people go to jail for just smoking pot. I also think its unfair to throw people in jail for buying your 18 year old adult  friend a beer or denying an adult a beer. Alcohol in itself doesn't cause you to drive into a perosn 80 mph. You need to get into a car first  Its perfectly possible to drink alcohol and not hurt anyone else.  That why the drinking age is so unfair. Punishes responible people. Did you know 1,000 young adults a year die from non road related alcohol abuse mostly because of of binge drinking caused because young adults can't drink in bars or night clubs. Most bars don't want to be held liable for a dead person.  About 800 people year are supposivly saved by the drinking age if you put into account other saftey measures even that 800 person figure is a liberal estimate.    The whole law is unfair is so many ways but its not even saving lives. Its just shifting all the abuses into private Environment.

I saw cops. There was a beach party. This cop went around makign sure everyone was 21 or over lol.  Most of the 18 to 20 years old that drank said they didn't have there ID so all the cop could do is to tell you to pour out your drink. Soon as the cop left. i bet the just got another beer.  Its unforceable law.  

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service