We are out of step from the rest of the world. Almost every western nation has it at 18. They realize that you can't call soemone too imature to make an adult decision and then call them an adult at the same time.  18 can join the military, can get married, OWN A GUN and own proptery but can't drink!  A lot of people like to point out that it prevents car accsidents. I would like to point out the number of alohal related car accsidents have been going up since 1998 and the number of alcohal deaths related to alohcal abuse amoung teens has also gone up becuase they drink in private. Really all they did is take drinking out of the public squear for young people. They still drink Deaths still happen ehtier way.  The way we have it now we are discrediting the law and adulthood in the eyes of young adults that break the drinking age law.

At least with lowering the drinking age to 18 we can start an agressive education compagian to encourage SAFE drinking at hightschools and colleges.  Stastsiclly speaking in other european countries they have done this with sex and the amount of teen pregnancy went down.  They probably still hvaing sex but its safe sex. That is the point. We gotten to the point of a society that we can be a little bad and deal with it.

Really i don't think the government should tell anyone want to put in there body. Its to them to make that choice and they are liable if that choice back fires.

I also would like to point out freedom isn't safe.

Views: 647

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Ryan, 

Let me ask you a question, How old are you? I have been drinking since I was 19 the legal age at the time, and my background is Spanish from Spain. They have no drinking age there, children at 5 years old  are given wine. I am sure I have been drinking longer than you have been alive, still drinking is a dangerous sport. It is  a very dangerous sport, is alcoholism your goal. Trust me and every older person that wants to keep the drinking age higher, are you really ready to drink responsibly. Do you really want to dance with that devil so young.

Alcholism is not my goal. Just to have a drink at a bar with my friends that is all.

I am also 19 but been drinking since 16. I think when I turn 18 I should be able to have a little fun without hiding it.

"Do you really want to dance with that devil so young."

Devil is not real.  yes i am ready to drink responsibly. I never drank or drive or commited a crime under it.

Most 18 years haven't hurt anyone drinking. its just that America is crazy. Every other country has it at 18

Most people that drink early fall harder and easier than you might think. Some get out, some  manage it, a lot fail miserably. They are not smarter or dumber than you, it happens to many of millions of people a year. Oh by the way their is a devil and it is your inner self wanting to destroy you... lol. 

Let me give some old guys rules to not becoming an alcoholitic.

1. Never hide your drinking from your friends, because if you drink too much they will tell you.

2. Never buy any booze for yourself, always buy to give away. They drink more than you and you avoiding sit by yourself and drink it all. And never buy any booze for your home stash.

3. Bring only cash for booze. Mine is a $20 limit

4. Drink only one day a week, Usually Thursday for me.

5. Stop drinking two hours before end of party.

6. Drink lots of water after drinks to help you get rid of alcohol before you drive.

If you can do the above then perhaps you really can drink responsibly, but realize you are still killing millions of brain cells needlessly. And if your an atheists this is the only life you have, so killing brain cells is not a smart choice. 

When you get much older a few of your brain cells will want to commit suicide anyway so go for it.

I am more then willign to follow those rules by myself volunteerly.

Rule number one for example. is kinda hard to do because the government won't let me drink in public like in a bar. Sometimes the only time to drink is at home or with one other friend because like I said we can't go to a bar.  So it really enourages me to drink by myself or with small number of people Only other place would be a party.

As for rule 3 again the government won't let me buy booze. Soemome else has to but it like my friends or my parents stash which is almost endless.  I would like to purchase my own booze and pace myself by how much I buy but again the government won't let me. So it makes it hard to follow that rule by using money as a limit.

"Drink only one day a week, Usually Thursday for me."

The thing is I don't know really when I am going to drink. 

"And if your an atheists this is the only life you"

hehe yea. That is true but you don't know what kind of future treatments they will have in the future.  Besides. I am not asking  you to accept me kill myself. Just the legality of purchasing beer and letting me drink it.

Have atheist gotten to the point that any reference to religious words are taken literally?  No wonder your spelling and grammar need work.

I was joking.

While I do find it hypocritical that the US will let an 18 year old go to war but not legally drink, I understand the reasoning behind raising the drinking age to 21.  Although 18 is considered an adult in legal terms, most 18 year olds still have a lot of maturing and developing to do.  That could actually be an argument for raising the age to join the military, but I digress.

I know that pretty much every 18 year old wants to believe they're "grown."  But sorry, you don't reach your 18th birthday and just magically have it all under control.  I remember being 19 and thinking I was grown.  I had my own apartment, was working full time and going to college full time.  Now, at nearly twice that age, I look back and realize how much of a baby I really was, despite the fact that I had more responsibilities and was more mature than many of the students around me who were the same age.

I don't say any of this to be condescending, just providing food for though.  Lastly, you say that it's up to the person to decide what they put in their body.  While that may be true, if you've ever had a loved one injured or killed because of a drunk driver, you soon realize that one person's choices can have a drastic impact on others.  Of course, drunk drivers come in all ages.  I'm just saying that once a person under the influence chooses to get behind the wheel, it is no longer as simple as saying "it's my body and I'll do what I like."

"saying that once a person under the influence chooses to get behind the wheel, it is no longer as simple as saying "it's my body and I'll do what I like."

Well don't punish all 18 year olds for the actions of a few. Honestly, why should I have to be charged as an adult if you think I have so much maturing to do? 

I agree drinking and driving is bad but there is already a law. We don't need another one that only going to force people to drink behind closed doors.  That is causing a lot of death because of binge drinking since most 18 year old can't drink in public were older drinker can tell them to stop.

Lets talk about you Don 't you think you deserve a beer after a days work or just for fun?

You are thinking like a alcoholic already...""'Don 't you think you deserve a beer after a days work or just for fun?""  You are equating working hard/relaxing with a beer. This will cause a routine of drinking beer as a reward everyday for hard work. Alcohol is addictive... I am not talking about getting drunk. Getting drunk and alcoholism are not the same.

It is better for you to get drunk once a month than drink 2 beers every day. Obiviously getting really drunk is not good either, but less than a repeated pattern drinking.

I don't drink everyday. I am just saying. After the work week maybe might be a better example. I kinda wnat to hang out with my friends and not hide my beer like a teenage girl hiding her boy friend in highschool. Its childish and demeaning.

The fact is everyone drinks and there mother lol. So telling me not to drink is really double standard on your part.

If some people drink 2 beers a day. I say let them. Its there money. Its there body.

I personally think it is criminal to send 18 years old or even 21 years off to war. Even if they are not killed, they are mentally and emotionally scared for life. They are raped of their childhood, and left with horror in its place,  for what to promote someones agenda that you don't really know what is behind it.

I forget the exact number but your brain isn't even on straight till your like 27 years old. Sorry to tell you that.

So use those young energies and passions for something wonderful and exciting, not to go to war or la la land, really not worth it. Happy soberness

"I forget the exact number but your brain isn't even on straight till your like 27 years old. Sorry to tell you that."

Well its not your call tell me what to drink.   In the eyes of the law I am adult and I should be treated like one. Its not your problem if I cause myself brain damage. That not my goal when I drink. I just want to have a good time that is all.  Having the goverment or you telling me won't change my mind. Raising the drinking age at least give someone like you the ability to walk up to me at a bar and say "you had enough"

I don't want to go to war but they force all teenagers to register for seletive service or the draft. There is no draft now but they expect me to defend them but I can't drink with my friends in a bar. Its bs.  They expect me to risk my life.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service