We are out of step from the rest of the world. Almost every western nation has it at 18. They realize that you can't call soemone too imature to make an adult decision and then call them an adult at the same time.  18 can join the military, can get married, OWN A GUN and own proptery but can't drink!  A lot of people like to point out that it prevents car accsidents. I would like to point out the number of alohal related car accsidents have been going up since 1998 and the number of alcohal deaths related to alohcal abuse amoung teens has also gone up becuase they drink in private. Really all they did is take drinking out of the public squear for young people. They still drink Deaths still happen ehtier way.  The way we have it now we are discrediting the law and adulthood in the eyes of young adults that break the drinking age law.

At least with lowering the drinking age to 18 we can start an agressive education compagian to encourage SAFE drinking at hightschools and colleges.  Stastsiclly speaking in other european countries they have done this with sex and the amount of teen pregnancy went down.  They probably still hvaing sex but its safe sex. That is the point. We gotten to the point of a society that we can be a little bad and deal with it.

Really i don't think the government should tell anyone want to put in there body. Its to them to make that choice and they are liable if that choice back fires.

I also would like to point out freedom isn't safe.

Views: 702

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I admit that age restrictions are somewhat arbitrary. They do, however, reflect the average mental development of human beings in that the brain is still in a formative stage and essential connections are still being formed. Chemicals that may interfere with the completion of the development can have repercussions for the rest of the individuals life. The chemicals include not only alcohol but also, Marijuana, cocaine, opiates and other drugs that are “mood” altering. Many depression drugs are also contraindicated for individuals under 18 for much the same reason.

So why does virtually every other civilized country allow both its soldiers and civilians over 18 to drink, without the sky falling? I highly doubt that there are major physiological or neurological differences between Americans, Canadians, Australians, Europeans, etc. And there are other military leaders that believe the drinking age should be 18.

Besides, at 18 one is legally old enough not just to go to war, but also to:

Vote
Be executed or tried as an adult
Get married
Raise kids
Consent to sex
Enter into binding contracts
Borrow money
Live on one’s own
Drive a car, truck, or motorcycle
Drive a nuclear-powered submarine
Run for some political offices
Carry concealed weapons in some states
Buy and sell cigarettes
Buy and sell questionable “dietary supplements”
Buy and sell “legal highs” like Salvia (most states)
Buy and sell knives, swords, and daggers
Buy shotguns and rifles
Hunt with dangerous weapons
Work in highly dangerous jobs
Join the FBI or other feds
Own real estate
Get your plug pulled
Join a cult
Sell you body (Nevada) or soul (anywhere)
Sell alcohol in most states
You can even OWN a bar in some states

But God forbid you have a beer in America. Honestly, does that really make any sense at all in a supposedly free society?

Its is my descition.  I would ask that you respect it and stop using the government to infringe of my rights.  I am drinking right now. Not for fun but out of protest. One could make the argument you are causing me to drink :)

I drink becuase its fun too but what if the drinking age is causing people to drink more? Ever heard of the forbidden fuit theory. If you can't have something just makes you want it more. You can thank our theist friends for that.

My mental age? Then why do I get tried as an adult?! If my mental age is so low. You do realize its acutally a small percenage of teens that go out and drive drunk.   What you are doing is punishing people for the acts of a few. Its like saying black ppl are not allowed in my town because stastically they commit more crimes then whites.

How would you feel if  jesus freaks says atheist are too stupid to not believe in god so we must force them to?

When are going to realize that you are arguing against people who agree with you?

Well America also full of safety nazis. Yes in Germany the age to drive is higher they also let you drink at 18. So they at least know its time to treat you like an adult. In the uk however its like here. drive at 16 but there drinkign age is at 21.

My problmem is with your post. You are pegging me for what OTHER teens to do there under 18 friends.  Don't peg me for the action of others.  The iconioc thing is 17 and 16 year olds still drink. Not to mention those who can't do drugs. So realy what this law engourance is drug use for those who can't get .

I think the U.S askes too much of its young people They ask us to defend this country, to get a job, to get marriaed and when I want to have a drink in a bar to get away from it all I can't.   Don't infringe on people's rights that done nothing wrong.  You want to change things. The only soluation. would be public transportation.

I think the U.S askes too much of its young people They ask us to defend this country, to get a job, to get marriaed

You forgot learn to spell.  And where did you get the idea that the US asks young people to get married?

Its called a typo. The jesus freaks. Get all pissy when you don't get married.  Peronally. I don't know if i want to get married. Maybe a relationship and maby even a child but marriage seems too much of a sure thing.

I think that people should just live there life without people imposing there morality on others. let people live and learn.

You had many typos in your post then.  And why are you giving theists so much power over you?  I am 39 and have never been married.

Well the point is not to let them have more power over me.  That why I wish to lower the drinking age. Most of those M.A.D.D people are right learning. The president and CEO of MADD said the drinking age is more effective with blue coller people then ivey league elitiest. So they defintatly have a hidden agenda.  Not only that. There is a lot of research going on turns out that MADD acutally lied about some of its claims.  So people have been dieing because of binge drinkign and been forced to drink behind closed doors over false stastsics and false facts. Reminds you of another dogmatic group?  They also left out some interisting statics that in the 70's to the 80's car accident involing young teens with alochol acutally went down 16%. So it was already in a downward trend before the law(or should I say blackmailing the states) was even established.  

Just to give you an idea on how useless the drinking age is. More people were saved from making it a law to wear seat belts in 2 years then 20 + of prohibition for young people.  Now young people drink in private causing a culture of binge drinking. That been killing more lives then the drinking age is saving.

Ryan doh stated: "when I want to have a drink in a bar to get away from it all I can't."

First of all, I agree that the drinking age should be 18 in the U.S.
However, I don't think drinking, to get away from anything, is good at any age. 

Some alcohol, in moderation, can have some positive health benefits (such as the occassional glass of wine is supposably good for your heart), but alcohol is mostly a social lubricant.
Far too many people depend on it to 'help' them with there problems or, like you stated above, 'to get away' from something.
But Alcohol is a very temporary bandage for a problem and it doesn't 'help' you solve anything.
Getting away from it all may sound good, but it is not a solution to anything either.

Perhaps the drinking age is not the real problem here.

The problem is too many people choose to take the 'easy way' when life gets difficult.
Unfortunately, taking the 'easy way' will inevitably turn into the 'hard way' before they figure out what's going on...
Then, it's too late for easy solutions.
If people would simply use their brains a bit, they would realize that problems need to be solved, not escaped from.

Take some good advise from someone who knows better:  Stop worrying about drinking and focus on making your life more successful, productive, meaningful, and ultimately more rewarding.

GENRAL ADVICE FOR HUMANS:

If you want to have a glass of wine for your health, go for it.
If you want to calm your nerves a bit after a hard day, try meditation (better yet, exercise).
If something has got you down, seek help from your loved ones.
If you don't have any loved ones and that's got you down, try figuring out why no one likes you, and fix it!
If you are looking to have a good time getting drunk cause it feels good, find something else that feels good (sexual intercourse usually fits the bill).
If no one wants to have sex with you, get some exercise, clean yourself up, work on hour social skills, etc...
If no one wants you after that, consider the possibility that you may be in the shallow end of the gene pool, and probably shouldn't breed anyway.
If you fall into the category of 'I shouldn't breed', try to make some sort of positive mark on the world before you die.
If you think that I am suggesting that suicide is an option, it probably is.
If you didn't think I was suggesting suicide, (good) I wasn't.

- Although, some times we do need to 'thin the herd' a bit...

"If you are looking to have a good time getting drunk cause it feels good, find something else that feels good (sexual intercourse usually fits the bill)"

Drinking and sexual intercourse go hand by hand. :)

You are making all sorts of assumptions about me in your thread.I only want to drink for like you said  social reaons. people who drink socially tend to be happier. I get nevrous in crowds. Some drinking can help with that and helps with the other person drinking becuase they are relaxed as well.. What I meant about that thread was just that socialize. I admit I didn't word it like that. You are assuming I am some sort of addict. I am not.  If drinking was brought down to 18 today. I would probably only drink with my friends socially.

No I would not drink to get away from some sort of terrible problem or problems.  Lol.  If I had problems of that magnitude. I would rather buy a shotgun and shoot at targets to take it out on. Then join the NRA.

RSS

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service