We are out of step from the rest of the world. Almost every western nation has it at 18. They realize that you can't call soemone too imature to make an adult decision and then call them an adult at the same time.  18 can join the military, can get married, OWN A GUN and own proptery but can't drink!  A lot of people like to point out that it prevents car accsidents. I would like to point out the number of alohal related car accsidents have been going up since 1998 and the number of alcohal deaths related to alohcal abuse amoung teens has also gone up becuase they drink in private. Really all they did is take drinking out of the public squear for young people. They still drink Deaths still happen ehtier way.  The way we have it now we are discrediting the law and adulthood in the eyes of young adults that break the drinking age law.

At least with lowering the drinking age to 18 we can start an agressive education compagian to encourage SAFE drinking at hightschools and colleges.  Stastsiclly speaking in other european countries they have done this with sex and the amount of teen pregnancy went down.  They probably still hvaing sex but its safe sex. That is the point. We gotten to the point of a society that we can be a little bad and deal with it.

Really i don't think the government should tell anyone want to put in there body. Its to them to make that choice and they are liable if that choice back fires.

I also would like to point out freedom isn't safe.

Views: 668

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

alcohol is an extremely dangerous and destructive hard drug

That's true.  Alcohol is the only drug that effects the entire body in that it interferes with the rate of cellular diffusion. Diffusion is the base from which all other bodily functions arise so it's wise to not screw it up with excess or frequency.

This is a reason it isn't necessarily hypocritical to be pro-marijuana and anti-alcohol, the same way lots of people who are pro-marijuana aren't pro-heroin.
yes it is. If you making law over it for freeway safety.

I hate the people who want to ban drinking for those under 21 because a few 16 year olds might get a drink from there friends. That is a parental issue not a government one. What this logic really says is its alright to punish 18 year olds because there parents are too lazy to raise there own child.  

eurpean countires have learned to deal with under age drinking by education not brute force.

At first I agreed that having an arbitrary law saying only people 21 and over can drink, and that adults age 18 can do everything else but drink was a convincing argument. However, after enduring this discussion I am wondering if we should raise the age of adulthood to 21. Certainly you are making a stronger argument for it than against it.
Sorry that I speak out! To me sounded like you wanted the drinking age at 21. Assuming that i will become an alcoholic.  If you look at the numbers. The drinking age does not work and raising adulthood won't work as well.
I think he has the same problem I do.  You are constantly complaining about it even to those who agree with you.

There are some people who don't agree.

Just for now on if I am "complaning" about it. Don't go off and assume I am talking to you.

Some people here didn't clearly state what they think on this issue. No I am not talking about you.  

The guy started going after my drinking habbits(Not clearly mentioning what HE thinks the drinking age should be). I hardly call myself a huge drinker. I like doing it . He started accusing me of having a problem wtf?  The guy doesn't even know me.  Its friday today. I had one beer. I only had one because i wanted to be sharp when I start my starcraft 2 tourment later on. Which I will do now.  I am freaken nerd.  I only really drink around friends or if a female involed . Drinking at a bar is a nicer settting then a stuffed apartment or one of my friends parents house.

So I can only mention your complaining if it is directed at me?  Nowhere did I claim that your complaining was directed at me.  The only one making assumptions here is you.  As for him going off on you, again.  I didn't agree with it.  Why do you assume that understanding equals agreement?  I never thought you had a drinking problem.  Just a thinking one.  My comment was directed at his last comment to you.  Which has nothing to do with his prior comments.  I think he even mentioned he was playing with you.
Prove it.
Prove what?
Having turned 18 in an era when it was legal I think I have a pretty good perspective on the ridiculous demonizing of alcohol and age. Most of us did it. We pretty much watched out for each other. Yeah we did stupid stuff but by 20 0r 21 years old most of us knew enough to be a bit more moderate in our consumption. Binge drinking wasn't the norm at college parties because it just wasn't fun (not that it's fun today but it seems that if you don't do it you're not part of the party). Then as now you did have the assholes who tried to force people to drink. Yeah we drank our measure but I see these kids today and they look like they have to work at having a good time. By the same token I knew older people, in their late 20's and 30's, who acted like the kids today. I think, in general, by keeping the 18 to 20 years out makes them drink because they're not supposed to. BTW I shared an ocaissional beer with my kid before he was 18 and now he goes out, limits his intake, doesn't binge. He was also taught personal responsibility which I think is missing today.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service