We are out of step from the rest of the world. Almost every western nation has it at 18. They realize that you can't call soemone too imature to make an adult decision and then call them an adult at the same time.  18 can join the military, can get married, OWN A GUN and own proptery but can't drink!  A lot of people like to point out that it prevents car accsidents. I would like to point out the number of alohal related car accsidents have been going up since 1998 and the number of alcohal deaths related to alohcal abuse amoung teens has also gone up becuase they drink in private. Really all they did is take drinking out of the public squear for young people. They still drink Deaths still happen ehtier way.  The way we have it now we are discrediting the law and adulthood in the eyes of young adults that break the drinking age law.

At least with lowering the drinking age to 18 we can start an agressive education compagian to encourage SAFE drinking at hightschools and colleges.  Stastsiclly speaking in other european countries they have done this with sex and the amount of teen pregnancy went down.  They probably still hvaing sex but its safe sex. That is the point. We gotten to the point of a society that we can be a little bad and deal with it.

Really i don't think the government should tell anyone want to put in there body. Its to them to make that choice and they are liable if that choice back fires.

I also would like to point out freedom isn't safe.

Views: 695

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Right Ryan, I am no one to tell you what to do. But remember this, the difference between been a grown up and child, is your ability to listen and learn. Sorry you don;t get it, learn from others so you don't have to repeat their mistakes.

Well if you are telling me not to drink until i am 27. I don't think that is something you can ask of people. At least not pratically.

You can give people advice. The problem here is the drinking age.  People voting to infringe on other people's rights because you think I might make mistakes is wrong.

No, that is not it. Look I agree that the drink age is irrelevant. I started drinking at the legal age of 19, drank till I was 23. I started realizing I was falling down a long tunnel and I quit. I stopped drinking till just relatively recently after my divorce. I did drink on occasion some wine and beer or so. But that wasn't really drinking. Now I go out and have a pitcher or two, get a buzz, go dancing and then don't drink  for a week or so. May be that is stage I am going through. The point is this, I know it is deadly, I don't underestimate it. And whether you are too young to realize you are just as foolish as me or not, then do you really want to make it easier for every teenager in this country to drink?

I repeat... Do you really want to make it easier for every teenager in this country to drink?

Why not?  It's not like they wont find a way.  I have been drinking for as long as I can remember.   I have never had a drinking problem in my life.  It is better for kids to see drinking as just a part of life.

I agree with susan. Its better they learn from there parents and with real life experance in public. Then to try to force people to abstian which has failed. 

Its not that I don't want to learn and lession. Its the drinking age that I have a problem with. Drinking safely is what everyone wants to do.

Everyone wants to drink safely?  You are so naive if you think that everybody drinks.

I mean MOST people drink. MOST people want to do it safely. Don't take things literally :)

Lets make a bet... You keep doing what your doing. At age 30, if you believe the same you believe today, I will give you $500. That should buy you a pair of sneakers then.
And I bet you are going to lose.
Who me... Never
He will either be a total alcoholic, killed all his brain cells and won't remember this conversation, or he will be smart enough to admit he was wrong when he looks at his pregnant wife behind the wheel of a car. And realize that he is going to be a Dad but one day his family could be killed by a drunken teenager.

Ryan, seriously I had some fun with you. good luck - You are the master of your universe, just don't forget others walked your same shoes, learn from them, you will be wiser, richer and live longer .

My probem here is the drinking age. How you are forcing us to sneak the booze.  I am not oppose to yoru advice but I am oppose to your posttiion that the government should tell not to drink and make it hard for me to get one.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
58 minutes ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
1 hour ago
Grinning Cat replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
1 hour ago
Luara replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
2 hours ago
sk8eycat replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Bible is not Great by Soren Sagan in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina on "Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative" in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
2 hours ago
Luara replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
2 hours ago
sk8eycat replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Bible is not Great by Soren Sagan in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina on "Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative" in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
2 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck commented on Loren Miller's blog post Is god good?
2 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to jay H's discussion What the freakin hell is wrong with this country???
3 hours ago
Jason Blair replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
3 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service