To my mind religion is the worse thing that ever happened to mankind. Sure, it converted the Vikings to civilization, but it also repressed and stifled knowledge that kept humanity in the Dark Ages until now and maybe centuries to come. As long as women are forced to wear a burka, humanity remains enthralled.

Tags: aristopus, atheist, endmeme

Views: 113

Replies to This Discussion

Lorien, that's fine. If fact, I disagree with Dr. Meadan's reluctance to admit believers. Carli can believe anything she wants.

I'm the coiner of the endmeme. It's my belief that unless religious people see the truth (about creation) that they'll destroy the world.
Would you be able to go further in your explanation about how they will destroy the world , as in specifically.

History has seen many instances of self-fulfilling prophecy. The endmeme is dangerous because the vast majority of humans believe the world will come to a cataclysmic end. This is very dangerous.

Consider Sarah Palin. She’s a primitive fundamentalist member of the Assembly of God. She speaks in tongues (glossolalia) at gatherings of co-believers. These people play with poisonous snakes. Sarah sincerely and strongly believes the world will come to an end in her lifetime.

If Obama continues to alienate the rank and file, the moral majority could resume power as they did with W. Bush. Look at the quagmire this deluded fanatic caused. Palin and the ex-reverend Mike Huckabee could be far worse.

I was the first to describe and define the endmeme in Mirror Reversal, 2007.
"Atheist Nexus is a community for nontheists ONLY! This is NOT a site to convert others or debate the existence of god(s). There are plenty of other sites to do this. Violators will be banned instantly and permanently. "

If she beleives in an afterlife as she has indicated in posts that are all wiped out now, she does not belong here.
Take your meds.
In light of your statement, Richard, I find myself coming back to that phrase from the CoI Blasphemy Contest:

Faith Is No Reason

[yeah, I'm like a dog with a bone ... except THIS bone has MEAT on it!]

If faith and reason have any chance for an intersection set, I don't see it. You might as well expect rationality and irrationality to find a meeting of the minds.

Nope, sorry, not happening, not from where I sit.
Take your meds.
Searching for the cat
The Black Cat in the coal mine
That never was there

[with thanks to Robert Heinlein for the original idea]
Ideology is the real problem. The idea that the Truth is known - so don't look at anything else is what kills human progress, allows a few to control the many, and robs us all of what six billion minds collaborating could do if they were allowed to be curious, critical, and educated.

Catholicism invented the word 'propaganda.' But the Pharaohs knew how powerful a single man could become if he could successfully claim to be god. The Nazis totally took a page out of religion's book or they never would have gotten as far as they did. They didn't call the swastika the swastika - they called it Hakenkreuz or 'bent cross'.

Stalin, Mao, Castro have all understood that restriction of individual thought and access to information was key to controlling the masses for the purposes of a few. The 'atheism' of these regimes was about killing the competition from other ideologies (such as religion) rather than an enlightened stance based on curiosity, skepticism, critical thinking, observation, experiment, and falsification. Ideologues call falsification 'heresy', 'blasphemy', and 'treachery.'

Great minds don't thinks alike. Great minds think. And great civilizations promote the collaboration of these minds in a setting that allows ideas to be tested, for solutions to constantly reassessed, refined, and replaced when better ones are found.
Good post, Howard. I studied mind control since college days and I certainly agree. The few can control the many. In ancient times at the height of its power the Spartan city-state controlled and suppressed the Helots with only a fifth of their number—50,000 to 250,000. If a Helot worker as much as stuck his head up above the crowd he was a goner.

Stalin, Mao, Castro have all understood that restriction of individual thought and access to information was key to controlling the masses for the purposes of a few.

This is the key to breaking the religion’s power. In the Middle Ages the clergy controlled all information. The flock was illiterate and not even allowed to read the Bible which enslaved it. Even when the printing press was discovered, clergy did their worst to keep books away from peasants. In this country it was one illegal to teach a slave to read.

But they can’t control the internet and websites like this one (nor implacable militants like its members.) The internet might be the key to unlock the mental cage of supernaturalism.
Well done, Howard and Richard. That should be our mission. Part of the problem I run into is that in writing magazine articles, if you are critical of religion, you pretty much are rejected by all but those who allow you to essentially preach to your own choir. It's an unfortunate and unfair taboo to be critical of religions, even though the vast majority are overwhelmingly selfish, destructive, and evil.
Thanks, Mike.

It's true what you say about being critical of religion. Dig one of the reviews I got on Amazon by a retired marine officer.

2 of 5 people found the following review helpful:
1.0 out of 5 stars Crude and Offensive Story from an Atheist Point of View, May 3, 2008
By William T. Mcgee "Tom" (Springfield, IL USA) - See all my reviews

Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
I found nothing in this book worth reading. I forced myself to look for something of value, but found myself wading through obscene language, offensive discourse, and perversion to disentangle the agenda of this book.

I crawled through the muck and found nothing but a faithless atheistic point of view leaking through the downward spiral of a character from sexual permissive, to strip club employee to prostitute. The story line and weird psychology the allegory was based on are pathetic negative nonsense.

This book is not worth the paper it was printed on.

I'm proud of this review in a weird sort of way. I mean, look whom it's coming from.
Funny, Richard. The good new is, in the "eye for an eye" spirit, we anti-theist writers have similar abilities. I reviewed Keith Ward's book, "Is Religion Dangerous" and I was every bit as scathing and critical as Ward was vacuuous and obscurantist. As Jesus said, I came not with peace, "but the sword." The pen being even mightier.

Of course, my review was accepted for publication in -- big surprise -- a monthly Atheist magazine.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service