The cost of masculine crime

"Men are, by a huge margin, the sex responsible for violent, sexual and other serious crime. The economic cost of this ‘masculine excess’ in delinquency is staggering - to say nothing of its emotional toll. Why is the social shaping of masculinity not an urgent policy issue?"

Don't give me the old bromide that testosterone did it! That is an excuse! A denial of self-responsibility! A claim that protects violent men from being held accountable. Both men and women suffer because of these brutes! 

"Of the one-third of a million people in England and Wales found guilty of an indictable offence in the 12 months ending June 2012, 85% were men. The more violent the crime, the more men predominate. From a unique table deep in the quarterly Ministry of Justice Criminal Justice Statistics Bulletin for England and Wales we learn that males were 88% of those found guilty of violence against the person, and more than 98% of those committing sexual offences."

Just as the women of Turkey, dressed from head to toe in heavy gabardine in 100 degree F weather, to conceal their bodies because men couldn't control their impulses to rape, so, men of many countries continue to think they are entitled to use and abuse women. Doesn't that sound sophomoric to you? How can anyone claim they can't control their natural urges? If men were subject to such impulses, doesn't that imply those who can't exist as less human than the gentler ones? More like beasts than Homo sapiens. 

Tags: and, assaults, beasts., brutes, crimes, men, sophomoric, violence, women

Views: 570

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ted, I have no doubt that women abuse men, physically, mentally and emotionally. Men tend to use physical power, women tend to use verbal power. Both can be abusive and the emotional damage can be devastating. That said, violence of any sort in a family is a symptom of dysfunction. It doesn't define what is not working, but something in the relationship is not working to create effective and efficient team work. 

I've told the story before of my experience at a boys ranch, when, after training of the boy, mother and father in problem solving and conflict resolution, the mother felt she was loosing control. She shot her husband in full view of their son. Blood splattered everywhere. Fortunately, the bullet didn't hit any vital organs, but it surely struck a rich blood supply. 

The father realized he was dealing with more than anger, he was dealing with mental illness. He and the son left the home and created a new life that was healthy for both of them. They had no control over her, and he filed an assault charge against her; the court dealt with her situation. 

I find no fault with the Swedish study. 

"The concept that women use violence only in self-defense is not true – women are capable of using it aggressively as well."

"behaviour ranging from punching, kicking and pushing to strangleholds and threats at gunpoint."

"between 8 and 11 percent of male victims reported that they had also been perpetrators of violence

"We do not know in detail what led women to use violence in aggression," she explained.

"More women (30 percent) than men still reported that they had acted in self-defense,

"men were most likely to maintain that they had reacted to insults or humiliation."

"female victims of domestic violence suffered from more severe health effects than men"

"women were more likely to report depression, anxiety and difficulty sleeping.

"Ten percent also reported experiencing suicidal thoughts"

"Because men are often bigger and stronger, they do not feel as threatened by physical violence on the part of their female partners"

"Women were also more likely than men to have been the victims of sexual abuse"

"with 10 percent of women reporting they'd been sexually abused by their partner, compared to 3.5 percent for men."

In my research, "Toward a Theory of Family Violence, its antecedents, treatment and prevention", I looked at the role of violence when faced with problems and conflicts. By learning how to manage anger, use life skills and effective communication, violence was reduced and partners claimed to have happier lives with less tension and reduced urges to violence. 

Hey Joan......It is so true, without  men the world  would  be  a much more  peaceful place....I do believe that  we need  more women  in high office who  are more rational and  less aggressive...I do think  that testosterone has  something to do with it...Although some men have  so much  more control  than others...Your  point  can be proven  just by the number  of men in our  prison  facilities....So you have  no argument  with me.....

Joan, after becoming an atheist, I've become much more aware of the evil that's been perpetrated on many women by many men.  

The few years I spend talking to people on the site "Life After Mormonism" started opening my eyes, especially about how bad Mormonism is to women.  It's bad for all genders, but especially non-straight people, and women more than men.

Atheist Nexus has opened my eyes to the problem much more, and you have been the one that's opened them the widest Joan.  

Let me be very clear, I value the different qualities of maleness and femaleness. Males do not have to become more feminine, their strength lies in their union with females. Females do not have to become more masculine, their strength lies in their union with males. Violence is the destroyer of union. That is also true between parent and child. Violence has no place in the family scene. 

Could I add  Joan......That  we all should  respect  one another  no matter  the gender  or Faith....We do not need  a god  to do this... By valuing  the different qualities of maleness and femaleness, you are respecting  Gays  as well as Straights, which is  commendable.......You are also right that violence  has  no  place in the family scene Or  anywhere  else...

OK! Now the task is to figure out how to build a community of strong men and women who can take on the weapons and attitudes of those who hate heretics.  

We have evidence on our side, we know the difference between reality and delusion, clearly, society does not prosper under the yoke of religion. If we are to survive the economic, social, political turmoil, we need well trained communicators and advocates for reason and evidence based knowledge. 

Have you seen the insane stories of radical conservatives who are doing dumb things like creating cars and trucks that spew out black diesel smoke? They are self-righteous, opinionated, arrogant idiots that attract uninformed people, young and old. 

What strategies can we develop to counteract such nonsense (and I mean non + sense)?

How do we counter the "Let go and let god" mentality? 

How do we challenge the 6,000 year old Earth beliefs? 

Using Socratic questions, such as

Does hitting your spouse or child make your home a place you enjoy living in? 

Are there other methods of livings? 

What price do you pay for being violent? 

Who benefits by the use of violence? 

Why has Israel and Palestine not been able to settle their disputes when people all over the world pray for the end of their wars? 

What role does the US play in supplying arms?

Who is going to take care of the refugees? 

Do you think violence solves conflicts? 

Why do men and women use violence?

Does violence get you want you wan?. 

When I worked at the boys' ranches, about a third of the parents used punitive methods and the boys acted out. About a third of the parents set too few boundaries and boys had no structure. About a third of the parents used sound parenting methods and the boys got into rebellious influences of peers. 

The remedy was to use methods that focused on self-responsibility and self-control. For some boys, a points system worked. We put a new boy into very tight controls and showed him the way to get more freedom. When they earned the methods of problem solving and conflict resolution, as well assertiveness, negotiation, compromise, and demonstrated progressive use of these strategies, they had more and more freedom, until they earned their out of the ranch and back to their families who had also been trained.  Both parents and boys learned life-skills and their lives improved. 

Violence has no place in the family or anywhere else.

After I retired, on my first day in a ceramics class at a city college students introduced themselves and I said I had been in the Navy.

A woman in the class asked why I hadn't joined the Army.

I replied that I hadn't wanted to look at the men I would have to kill.

Several voices that sounded like those of women gasped.

I'm glad that the military now puts women into combat positions.

I agree, if there are to be people in combat, they need to include women who have the qualifications. My preference is that because we have a War College, we need a Peace College.  

( still reading all the posts I never came round to )

A society with less crime also has less religion, less tradition and less inequality between the sexes. We can start from there....

Your new freedom feels good to me, as I am sure it feels great to you! What is your summer weather doing; normal patterns or different from the usual? 

We had the hottest day for July last week and it was blistering. It reached 101 degree F, not at all usual for July. August is usually our hottest month. 

Interesting to note that this article is written by two women. George Carlin once called "testosterone" the most dangerous drug on Earth. There was a special on H-B-O about transexuals who were born female and striving to be male by injecting steroids (male hormones) into their bodies. They were interviewed and some of them opened up to admit that their entire lives had been changed by the "drug." That they had become more aggressive, more violent, more promiscuous in that they were having sexual encounters with strangers, etc.

A friend of mine was prescribed male hormones for some unknown reason to me. She said she literally saw red, as in rage! It didn't matter what she did, she was furious and aggressive. 

There must be some evolutionary advantage for men to be angry, however, we are past the lion in the rushes stage of human development. We live in a very different world and there is no reason to need all that testosterone. Even during the Machine Age, upper body strength was needed to handle heavy machinery, as the Agriculture Age needed strong arms and shoulders to handle beasts. No one has to do that heavy lifting these days. Even wars can be fought with computers. The greatest modern war machine is the ability to manipulate financial markets and that requires no body strength at all. It only requires a sense of entitlement and the desire to manipulate and exploit others. 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service