Has anyone read this article? http://www.csmonitor.com/2009/0310/p09s01-coop.html

This is welcome news to me as I am sure it is to other non-believers. What do you think?

"Intolerance of Christianity will rise to levels many of us have not believed possible in our lifetimes, and public policy will become hostile toward evangelical Christianity, seeing it as the opponent of the common good."

Intolerance isn't so nice when it is directed at your group is it you churchies.

Tags: christianity, evangelical, religion

Views: 96

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The christian science monitor irritates me to no end.

This is good news though. One can only hope the evangelicals do disappear.
Below I have posted a transcript of a discussion I had with a few Christians about this article. I didn't think my second post was that antagonistic, but apparently they did.

Robbie posted a link.
Yesterday at 1:17pm.
Interesting article. Sadly, I think it's spot on in regards to the future of the evangelical movement.

Jason at 2:52pm March 10
Banner of an article, Rob. Quote of the day: "Evangelicals have failed to pass on to our young people an orthodox form of faith that can take root and survive the secular onslaught. Ironically, the billions of dollars we've spent on youth ministers, Christian music, publishing, and media has produced a culture of young Christians who know next to nothing about their own faith except how they feel about it."

Jennifer at 7:50pm March 10
"Intolerance of Christianity will rise to levels many of us have not believed possible in our lifetimes, and public policy will become hostile toward evangelical Christianity, seeing it as the opponent of the common good."

Not so nice when the intolerance is directed toward your group is it?

Jason at 8:02pm March 10
So true, Jennifer. The deep-rooted intolerance masked by all the dogmas of "tolerance" will finally be revealed for what it is. At least at that point, it might be harder for those who hate Christians to maintain the façade of tolerance. Total tolerance has always been impossible, and the kind of "tolerance" our society has been increasingly advocating will only lead to injury, violence, inhumane treatment. So in a way it will be unpleasant when it is more openly directed at Christians, but on the other hand it is quite validating and at least brings the truth into the open—which is something every true Christian wants.

Robbie at 9:42am March 11
Even a cursory glance of history shows the continued and brutal persecution of Christianity. It is hard, however, to find the same directed by true, biblical Christianity at the world.

If, by tolerance, we mean that Christians are intolerant of what Christ has dictated as sin, then yes, we are willfully intolerant and should be. The day Christians begin to accept the sin in ourselves and our neighbors we have forfeited not only Christ but brotherly love itself.

Would you rather have someone who "tolerates" you and allows you to kill yourself, or someone who loves you and therefore wants only good for you, even if you are too blinded to know what that is and therefore despise the very thing that would save you?

The world can keep tolerance, I will hold onto love.

Jennifer at 10:28am March 11
Even a cursory glance at the Bible shows that Christianity is about anything but love. And yes, I would rather have someone who "tolerates" me and respects the fact that I am an intelligent adult who can make my own decisions about what I should or shouldn't do with my own life. I don't need belief in a "Sky Daddy" to love my fellow humans. I am able to both tolerate and love at the same time. It is sad that you feel you have to choose one over the other.

“I would rather live and love where death is king than have eternal life where love is not.” - Robert Green Ingersoll

Jason at 12:21pm March 11
There are times where tolerance and love are at odds with one another. Love is a complete commitment to another's true good. This is why a parent who does not discipline his/her child does not truly love that child. Tolerance of harmful behavior is a sign that love is not truly ruling that relationship. This is something everyone instinctively knows, but because of the emphasis on tolerance at all costs in our society, it is often intentionally forgotten.

And Jennifer, it sounds as though you are quite intolerant of certain things or kinds of people. It might be best not to throw stones from that glass house.

Jennifer at 1:07pm March 11
I'm sorry. Did the "Sky Daddy" comment offend you? I don't know you and you obviously don't know me, so I believe your intolerance is showing by making a snap judgment about someone you don't know and have never met. I'll leave this hostile environment now and move on to better things.

Robbie at 1:18pm March 11
The point of posting this article wasn't to get into a debate over tolerance and persecution, it was to cause others to reflect on the future of the modern Evangelical movement.

The author discusses the future of Christianity in the U.S. and how the Evangelical movement will fare. Christians, as a whole, are not new to persecution (see world history) and it's not the point the writer is making. What he is discussing is that the same level of persecution Chinese Christians, for a modern example, are facing will very soon be found in the United States as well.

Sin will never be accepted by Christians and it's this stance that will bring them persecution, not their views on love and tolerance.

Robbie at 1:22pm March 11
Also, hostility is defined as " openly opposed or resisting, not hospitable, having an intimidating, antagonistic, or offensive nature..." (Meriam Webster).

Text messages often fail to convey a sense of humor or what might be intended as a jab, but as far as textual content some of the comments made here definitely qualify, whether they were intended that way or not. Antagonistic comments followed by cries of hostility seem silly as it is essentially the pot calling the kettle black...

This person says a lot of stuff without any coherent argument, more like a scare story for Christians (complete with the multiple references to growing hatred of Christianity). To some extent he sees evangelism being replaced or modified by the charismatic movement, which he sees as a potential positive.

I agree with you there.  It's an opinion piece.  The fact is, no one can say what the future will bear.  There is ebb and flow of religion in the US, which is what this article mainly addresses.  Periods when secularism is tolerated, alternate with periods of religious obsession. 

The scare tactic of "religious intolerance" is common in the religious right.  It's correct to muse about tasting one's own medicine.

I think they missed a reason, to wit:

Young people are failing to fall for the indoctrination into dogma and belief system that their parents accepted.  Modern media and it's unblinking scrutiny, criticism and downright mockery of the improbable assertions of evangelical christianity is causing many millennials to move into the "NONE" column, if not entirely into atheism.

Translation: kids are SMARTER, better informed and far less credulous ... and the churches they would otherwise attend are taking it on the chin as a result.

Je redoute trois journaux plus que 100.000 baïonnettes.

Napoleon Bonaparte

The collapse of evangelism? As the old saying goes, "Hope springs eternal."

That's a great way to put it Pat!  Here's to hoping!~ Melinda

I am delighted to read this piece of news. Some, if not many, may remember that in the recent past I have more than once said that religions will be finished in next two hundred years. This seems like the beginning of that end. 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service