The Catholic Church, not satisfied with its role in ruining the lives of so many young boys, has focused its hateful gaze on a new target. Now they are investigating the Girl Scouts of the USA. So far they have encouraged some state legislatures to publically condemn the group.

NEW YORK (AP) -- Long a lightning rod for conservative criticism, the Girl Scouts of the USA are now facing their highest-level challenge yet: An official inquiry by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops.

At issue are concerns about program materials that some Catholics find offensive, as well as assertions that the Scouts associate with other groups espousing stances that conflict with church teaching. The Scouts, who have numerous parish-sponsored troops, deny many of the claims and defend their alliances.

The inquiry coincides with the Scouts' 100th anniversary celebrations and follows a chain of other controversies.

Earlier this year, legislators in Indiana and Alaska publicly called the Scouts into question, and the organization was berated in a series aired by a Catholic broadcast network. Last year, the Scouts angered some conservatives by accepting into a Colorado troop a 7-year-old transgender child who was born a boy but was being raised as a girl.

The whole article can be found at: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_GIRL_SCOUTS_CATHOLICS?SIT....

It’s one thing if the church doesn’t want its members joining the Girl Scouts. If it wants to encourage Catholic parents to keep their daughters from joining a group with a reputation as tainted as that of the Girl Scouts they have that right. But when any religious organization uses its strength to get public bodies to bully organizations it disagrees with that church has crossed the line. Sadly the church will never be called on the carpet for what it’s doing and if anyone launches an investigation of the church it will scream bloody murder and hide behind Constitutional protections that have been perverted by a judiciary that seems content to allow Christian organizations to use the First Amendment to protect any conduct they wish to engage in.   

Views: 64

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I didn't hear about this news story. I appreciate you linking the story.

Thanks!

I think the catholic church targets just about everybody ... or so it seems.

Sorry to hear that Jonathan. We had no control over the religion we were raised in.

But look .. we made it here. And now we are Atheists!

Good Night, Irene!  Is the RC church so obsessed with control that this is what they're reduced to?

Seriously, if anyone can trace any direct influence back to any representative of the RC church, I have a one-word directive for them:

SUE!

Sue their stinking asses off for poking their noses where it is not welcome, and make certain they understand that their attempts to superimpose themselves onto civilian society Are NOT Welcome!

The church is overdue to be SPANKED ... and the GSA is as good a place as any to start.

Catholic Priests target girl scouts? I know it's a bad piece of of political-religious football, but from the headline I think the story could have been a lot worse. This article made me look up the difference between girl guides and girl scouts; don't bother, there isn't one.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service