This is a quote from Allen Watt.  One of the best speakers about religion on NPR.  If you don't believe me just read the book of Leviticus.  

Fundamentalist Christians raciest are the most none Christlike people in America.  I have been an Atheist since I was very young  but I have read the bible from front to back.  It is full of a lot of ideology similar to the Muslim Bible.  Stoning people, selling you children, not going near a woman who is having her cycle.

The only redeeming thing in it is Christ's teaching.  Love you neighbor, do unto others as you would want them to do to you.

How can Christians be so fucking hateful?    

Tags: Bible, Evil

Views: 369

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Considering I haven't posted on this forum in almost two months either, maybe you should just stop pulling things out of your ass.

Also, how many theists do you know that maintain that Jesus was an apocalyptic nutcase? Because that's my view, but you wouldn't know, because you don't have a fucking clue about that either.

But thanks for keeping up with the ad hominems and sleezy implications. It reminds me off why I don't frequent this site anymore.

Thanks Jim, I really appreciate that.

It still boggles my mind how quickly many who see me arguing for the existence of a historical Jesus (and the only reason I do that in the first place is because so many atheists seem to think that they have to deny this, which I think is an unsupportable position), will immediately draw the line from "This guy thinks Jesus is not a 100% pure invention by evil men with an agenda for world domination" to "This guy is a Christian and a theist and needs to be scorned."

I suspect that the reason for this is that many fundamentalist Christians that fall away from their religion make the (usually emotionally fueled) transition from "There is a God, the Bible is his inspired word, and religion is the best thing that ever happened to mankind" to the completely reverted position: nothing in the Bible can have some basis in fact, all violence would disappear if we got rid of religion, etcetera... Now, while I think this position is closer to the truth, it still contains quite some errors and it is ultimately just as dogmatic as what they came from.

A large part of turning these people into (pardon the expression) "better atheists" is to teach them to really think critically and sceptically and teach them how to analyse their beliefs without an emotional bias at all - positive or negative.

Anyway, it sounds like we're on the same page.

Kind regards,

Matt

For a good laugh at the bible Google Dr Laura's letter.

I dont want to attack Bible, but hope Bible did not attack me first, if somebody ask me to thank God first no matter things good or not, i think it wants to control my feeling this way is an attacking. I will like the sun gives us heat and cold, also feel happy that we have different feeling of suffering or experences. I would be calm if not be attacked, that means I dont want to make trouble to Bible if I am respected by my way.

I'm certainly not afraid

to attack that fucking evil piece of crap

I chose to think that what I do is not so much attack the Bible, despite my very negative association with it, but to point out what I have learned about the Bible's history and translations.  The Scientific study and history of the Bible, the evidence we have regarding the authors, scribes, apostles and so forth interests me.  I use my knowledge, such as it is, to calmly try to discuss evidence.  I've been told by one extreme born again fundamentalist he reads the bible, King James being his favorite, through the "eyes of faith" and he understands that though there are seeming inconsistencies in the text, it is all part of the greatness of his god and the wonder of inspired text.  There's simply no convincing him of any Science, archeology or historical facts.  He is truly and completely encased in the tomb of his delusion.

I don't think any of us attack the Bible so much as we dispute fundy-type interpretations of it.  Part of the problem is that True Believers are taught that there are no errors, mistakes, or contradictions in the Bible, so if you spot a flaw, then in their eyes you are attacking the Bible.  They have also been taught that people who are "saved" understand the world through the "spiritual mind," but the rest of us use the "carnal mind."  Because they are saved and we are not, then, they are always right about the Bible and we are always wrong, REGARDLESS of what the words on the page actually say and/or how many times we have read the Bible or commentaries on it.  They have been taught that no one is supposed to question the Bible.  "The Word is the Word," as one student said to me recently.  I can't for the life of me understand how anyone can profess to live by a book he or she hasn't read.

I like the King James, too.  If you go to Psalm 46 and count in 46 words from the beginning, you will see the word "shake."  If you count backwards 46 words from the end, you find the word "spear."  In 1611, when the KJV was released, William Shakespeare was 46 years old.

It's a smegging miracle.

Very good.  Enjoyed your post

It has been the cause of much evil for 100's of years so I still srand by my statement thet THE BIBLE IS EVIL.

Idk where this quote originated, tho I came to it thru Chris Hitchens: Good people will do good and bad people do evil acts, yet it takes religion to make good people perform evil acts.

So, in answer to your question, theists perform evil acts precisely because their god tells them to. One of the first things gods chosen people did after being chosen was to kill everyone already living on land that god had seeded to them. Mighty convenient that.

I'm not expecting proof; for many Christians, the empty tomb is "proof" that Jesus was resurrected.  And the Jesus in the NT is not an Essene, but his teachings may be adapted from the Teacher of Righteousness, who lived a couple of centuries earlier.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service