This is a quote from Allen Watt.  One of the best speakers about religion on NPR.  If you don't believe me just read the book of Leviticus.  

Fundamentalist Christians raciest are the most none Christlike people in America.  I have been an Atheist since I was very young  but I have read the bible from front to back.  It is full of a lot of ideology similar to the Muslim Bible.  Stoning people, selling you children, not going near a woman who is having her cycle.

The only redeeming thing in it is Christ's teaching.  Love you neighbor, do unto others as you would want them to do to you.

How can Christians be so fucking hateful?    

Tags: Bible, Evil

Views: 419

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

But...we are having an impact. News from the UK this morning that one of the pope's aides has compared the UK to a third world country (apparently because of the wide variety of nationalities seen on the street) and said the country is a hotbed of aggresive athiests. Sadly for the catholic church, the aide said it to the press which has made a big noise about it this morning, sticking another long blade into the rotting carcus of the church. Also good news that ticket sales for the pope's functions have been err...somewhat subdued. When the previous pope popped into the UK in '82, apparently three hundred thousand went to the mass thingy he held. In 2010, they've only managed to offload eighty thousand tickets, less than a third of the '82 figure. The church is scared, the child rape thing, September 11 etc. are all having an impact on perceptions of not just the church but religious belief as a whole. And, melanomas can and do kill, very efficiently.
I love your analogy although I think the "cancer" of non belief is spreading much more rapidly than people think. For the first time in history in a lot of places it's OK to be an atheist.
The only redeeming thing in it is Christ's teaching. Love you neighbor, do unto others as you would want them to do to you.

The only problem with that observation is that these fine "wisdom sayings" were lifted (stolen, plaguerised, collaged, etc) without any attribution from the Greek (and Buddhist) literature of antiquity and shoved into the mouth of a fictional character whom the authors of the new testament invented. If you go back to the generation who first witnessed and experienced first hand the widespread publication of the Christian Bible in the 4th century (See "Constantine's Bible") you have educated people like the Emperor Julian saying things like this:

It is, I think, expedient to set forth to all mankind the reasons by which I was convinced that the fabrication of the Christians is a fiction of men composed by wickedness.

Though it has in it nothing divine,
by making full use of that part of the soul
which loves fable and is childish and foolish,
it has induced men to believe
that the monstrous tale is truth.

The publisher of the very first widespread edition of the Christian Bible was a supreme imperial mafia thug, malevolent despot and fascist military supremacist. No fucking wonder why the Bible is evil, and I have only one other thing to add to the above................. So long as one does not know one's history, one is bound to be involved in its repetition.
Here are some of the ancient cultures from which Jesus (if he ever existed) took the Golden Rule:

An early example of the Golden Rule that reflects the Ancient Egyptian concept of Maat appears in the story of The Eloquent Peasant which is dated to the Middle Kingdom (c. 2040 - 1650 BCE): "Now this is the command: Do to the doer to cause that he do."[5] An example from a Late Period (c. 1080 - 332 BCE) papyrus: "That which you hate to be done to you, do not do to another."[6]
[edit]Ancient Greek philosophy

The Golden Rule was a common principle in ancient Greek philosophy. Examples of the general concept include:
"Do not to your neighbor what you would take ill from him." – Pittacus[7]
"Avoid doing what you would blame others for doing." – Thales[8]
"What you do not want to happen to you, do not do it yourself either. " – Sextus the Pythagorean[9] The oldest extant reference to Sextus is by Origin in the third century of the common era.[10]
"Do not do to others what would anger you if done to you by others." – Isocrates[11]
"What thou avoidest suffering thyself seek not to impose on others." – Epictetus[12]
"It is impossible to live a pleasant life without living wisely and well and justly (agreeing 'neither to harm nor be harmed'[13]), and it is impossible to live wisely and well and justly without living a pleasant life." – Epicurus[14]
"One should never do wrong in return, nor mistreat any man, no matter how one has been mistreated by him." - Plato's Socrates (Crito, 49c)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golden_Rule
It is indeed very common. But Jesus (who did exist, by the way: it's so silly to preface every mention of Jesus with that) probably didn't get the idea from those people, since he would have never heard of them, much less read their works. He was probably inspired by the teachings of rabbi Hillel the Elder (died 10 AD) who said pretty much the same thing. And since he taught in Jerusalem just years before Jesus' own ministry it's very likely that word of these teachings reached him, either directly or through John the Baptist (who probably taught much the same thing).

Jesus' teachings have to be seen through an apocalyptic context though: the context being that the end of the world was imminent. That's why he offered unworkable moral codes like "Turn the other cheek": these were not meant to be permanent or long-term strategies: they were short-term strategies of assuring your place with the righteous of the Kingdom of God.

Don't tell the Christians that though. They've constructed an entire theology around these unworkable moral codes. They get very antsy when you tell them that it's not even close to what their Messiah had in mind.
There is some evidence, not conclusive, that Jesus spent time in India studying. Some of his says are almost identical to things the Buddha said. This comes from two educated people. One teaches divinity at UCNC and the other person was a professor from Yale I think. The show was on the History Channel. Also one of the most interesting things on the show was an Aramaic professor that said the word Virgin as in Mary, was not translated correctly. The word has no exact Latin or English equivalent but is closer to describing Miss or Mrs.and has nothing to do with sex. Even these words don't translate properly. There are many words in many different languages that simple do not have a English equivalent. A good example was when the US and USSR were trying to work on an agreement and couldn't find the right word and ended up using dante sorry can't remember the spelling. I think you will know the word I am trying to spell.
Reading translated books etc has always made me uncomfortable. When I was young I decided to learn to read Greek. I couldn't speak it but when I read it I had a good understanding. I did it because I wanted to read Plato, Homer etc. Alzheimer's has robbed me of much of my memory.
"There is some evidence, not conclusive, that Jesus spent time in India studying. Some of his says are almost identical to things the Buddha said. This comes from two educated people. One teaches divinity at UCNC and the other person was a professor from Yale I think. The show was on the History Channel."

Well, to put it as nicely as I can: that information is false. There is simply no evidence at all that Jesus spent any time in India whatsoever, mainly because (i) Jesus' teachings actually bear no resemblance to buddhism (none of the core aspects of the latter being present) and (ii) Jewish carpenter sons didn't spend their time backpacking through India and studying with Buddhist monks.

This idea that Jesus was inspired by Buddha comes up a lot, but there's very little actual evidence for it. The idea was first thought up in the late 1800's (the beginning of Biblical analysis) and was based on some pretty wild speculation and farfetched parallels (they did the same with the supposed pagan parallels with Christianity). Since then it has been abandoned, and nowadays it has practically no credibility among scholars, though it's very in vogue among New-Agers (and strangely enough in the conspiracists) but is based on outdated scholarship and usually other strange New-Age ideas.
Jesus would have spent his youth like any other Jewish peasant: helping his father in the carpenter shop, and perhaps going to the synagogue every now and then to be instructed in the Jewish faith. It's far more likely that he picked up the teachings of contemporaries like Hillel this way, rather than some fantasy scenario about Buddhists.

"Also one of the most interesting things on the show was an Aramaic professor that said the word Virgin as in Mary, was not translated correctly."

That's a well known fact, though it's not exactly like that: one of the inspirations for the Virgin Birth story is likely to have been the text in Isaiah 11 that makes a prophecy about an "almah" (Aramaic for "young woman") giving birth to a very important figure. In the Greek Septuagint version of the OT, this word got rendered as the Greek "parthenos" ("virgin").
Early Christians who were not aware of this mistranslation assumed that a virgin giving birth was a Messianic prophecy, and so it didn't take long before they invented a Virgin Birth story (in the style of the OT miraculous births, of course).

Watch out with getting your information from the History Channel though. Those guys will air just about everything as long as they think it gets people to watch them... even if it's downright kooky.
Bull shit, nothing but bull shit
After reading volumes of Matt's replies to the historicity of Jesus, I'd go with his take on this. I'd also not believe a word that comes from a channel that devotes one minute to Nostradamus, Ancient Aliens, or the Bible Code and passes it off as history.
Wow. Powerful counter-argument. Any particular reason you know this is bullshit or are you just going to continue taking your documentary knowledge on faith?
No, but I do respect educated people who have different ideas from me
The idea that jesus went to India is about as credible as the idea that he went to England :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8380511.stm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_did_those_feet_in_ancient_time

M.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service