This is a quote from Allen Watt.  One of the best speakers about religion on NPR.  If you don't believe me just read the book of Leviticus.  

Fundamentalist Christians raciest are the most none Christlike people in America.  I have been an Atheist since I was very young  but I have read the bible from front to back.  It is full of a lot of ideology similar to the Muslim Bible.  Stoning people, selling you children, not going near a woman who is having her cycle.

The only redeeming thing in it is Christ's teaching.  Love you neighbor, do unto others as you would want them to do to you.

How can Christians be so fucking hateful?    

Tags: Bible, Evil

Views: 410

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And yet you still see 'em all the time at Red Lobster. Tich!

Cherry-picking is cherry-picking.
The old laws are observed except for: the ones Jesus changed (dietary); the ones the disciples changed (circumcision); the ones that hit too close to home (death for adultery); the ones that get in the way of making money (death for working on the Sabbath); the ones that are just stupid (mixing wool and linen in one fabric is an abomination); the ones that are just yucky (sacrificing doves and whatnot); and the ones they don't know about (these run into the hundreds).  The rest of them are eternal and must be obeyed, or else God will destroy America.  They only follow the laws that support their feelings, and sometimes they make one up because God forgot to.  How dare anyone call this cherry-picking?  It's God's word.
I really liked this post. I shared it with my 4700 Facebook atheist friends.
Extremists don't need religion to spew their hatred . . . but it provides a ready-made excuse for those so inclined. By and large, modern Christians have rejected racism, slavery and the subjugation of women. There are notable exceptions, of course, but Christianity is hugely reformed compared to the pre-Enlightenment era. Islam, however, is still virtually unreformed and is a haven for extremists.

My brother's (John's) ex-wife and in-laws were "devout" Christians: their homes were monuments to Christ. But they were unabashedly racist (originally from Georgia). They didn't call black people "negros" or "niggers" -- they called them "nigras" (with a southern twang). The word (and the way they said it) dripped with the bile of bigotry.

One Halloween, they were throwing a costume party and my parents were trying to decide how they should dress up. I suggested they go in black face (like Al Jolson) . . . they would be the hit of the party while simultaneously mocking their so-called Christian hosts. They decided that would be too bold but we had a hearty laugh at the idea anyway.

It wasn't long after that Halloween when I happened to be with these in-laws at my father's house. The father-in-law (Fred) cracked a racist joke and I replied by saying, "Fred, you know John and I are half Japanese and that makes me wonder how you decide which race to draw the line at."

Conversations stopped and everybody stared at me. But I was fed up. "It's a fair question!" I said, "How do you feel about half-breed Japanese people, Fred? Do you call us Japs behind our backs?"

My father came to his defense on the basis that Fred was a guest in his house. I stormed out, more angry with myself for ruining the family get-together, than for not finding support for my outburst. Afterwards, my father said Fred had it coming but that I had chosen too public a moment.

At least I never heard another racist remark from the in-laws.
Most Christians believe the Bible is the TRUE word of God. I don'y get it how they can pick and choose the part they like. You either believe the bible or you don't. You have to take it all if you are honest,
Hi John, they pick 'n choose 'coz deep down they know it's a pile of man made rubbish. So many are swept up in the 'social' side of their belief system experience that to admit to not believing could end in the loss of friends or even family. This can have a profound effect on people and a number of the stranger cults, like the mermons, err..mormons, the scientoologists, the jehoova witless's all use the threat of social exclusion to maintain the ranks. What I really can't figure, is how people can have 'faith' (a completely meaningless word, up there with 'theology') in religious doctrines outlined by nomadic goat herders from the bronze age. I mean, apart from flashing red lights, it really couldn't be more obvious. The lack of a gawd manifests itself every day. Look at Pakistan, a theocratic state.
I think that hits the nail right on the head Robert! That is exactly what I think, and anyone who has attended church, sees it's all about social pecking order and acceptance. I saw that even as a child....I just don't do pretend well, and being rational is something I refuse to sacrifice for social acceptance. So see all yall good people in hell!!! rofl
I have read the Bible from the beginning to end 2 times and I have a hard time believing that most Christians have done this. If they did read it, it wasn't with an open mind. It is full of so much crap. I guess they just don't read it or do not pay attention to the BS in it,
I teach at a university full of fundamentalists.  The other day I polled a class about evolution, and only one student out of 23 said she believed it.  No one in the class had read the entire Bible or knew anything about it except a few commonly repeated bits and pieces.  They didn't have a clue what the theory of evolution says or means.  But they are damn sure they're right about faith.
How do they make it to the university level if they are that uneducated?
They hang around a high school until someone hands them a diploma.  That usually takes about four years.  Then they get Pell grants and federally subsidized loans.  Their ignorance is exacerbated by the fact that their teachers, school administrators, parents, friends, and many of their college professors don't accept Darwin's work because 75% of them have been "raised in the church."  We are in the middle of the Bible Belt, after all.
This past week 70 military men at a base in VA (I think) were punished because they would not go to a Christian Concert. They were restricted to their barrack and made to clean it up. I have been reading of other types of forcing Christianity down the throats by commanding officers in all branches. For the life of me I can not understand how ordering military people to attend a Christian function is even legal

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service