What are the most compelling and irrefutable arguments against the existence of God?

When I say irrefutable, I mean “beyond a reasonable doubt”, as in a court of law.

First, we need to define the term “god”, so I will be referring to the Judeo-Christian god
of the bible who we must agree has the following attributes:

That god is omniscient
That god is omnipotent
That god is omnibenevolent

Let us also agree that the Christian bible is the true word of this god, and that it is his commandments to all humans.

Also please consider all philosophical counter arguments posed by C.S. Lewis, et’al.
Please explain and justify your argument.
For example; if you believe the Argument for Evil is compelling, please explain why the theist counter argument is not acceptable.

It could be argued for example, that god does not send any souls to hell, we send ourselves to hell by our own free will and that god has given us every opportunity to make that decision, and in our own free will, god is simply granting our request.

All philosophical and scientific arguments should have a justification.
For example; the bible says god created the earth and the “heavens” in 6 days, on the 7th day, he rested. We know from many disciplines of science that this cannot be true; however, it could be argued that the term "6 days" could have other biblical meaning, etc.

Be careful of logical falicies in forming your agruments. :) 

Please contribute your argument(s).

P.S. your argument does not need to be in your own words, you can copy and paste, just mention the source :)

Views: 1332

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

He brought his wisdom and we ungrateful idiots rejected it. What horrors await us in the afterlife?

I don't care if you rejected it lol. That's rather irrelevant since you've done nothing other than say "I reject" in concept. Ungrateful would be attacking someone specifically for sharing it. Some of you seem to have no forum ethics.

ad hominem attacks is all I've seen here lol

None of you seem even able to intellectually engage in an honest debate. That's typical theist behavior ;)

John B:

You can feel free to tell us what information was lost vs changed. lol.. Choochoo is in your train park now.. Let see what you can do with it ;)
I would like to add this about your behavior though:
Trolling is a game about identity deception, albeit one that is played without the consent of most of the players. The troll attempts to pass as a legitimate participant, sharing the group's common interests and concerns; the newsgroups members, if they are cognizant of trolls and other identity deceptions, attempt to both distinguish real from trolling postings, and upon judging a poster a troll, make the offending poster leave the group. Their success at the former depends on how well they — and the troll — understand identity cues; their success at the latter depends on whether the troll's enjoyment is sufficiently diminished or outweighed by the costs imposed by the group.

Trolls can be costly in several ways. A troll can disrupt the discussion on a newsgroup, disseminate bad advice, and damage the feeling of trust in the newsgroup community. Furthermore, in a group that has become sensitized to trolling — where the rate of deception is high — many honestly naïve questions may be quickly rejected as trollings. This can be quite off-putting to the new user who upon venturing a first posting is immediately bombarded with angry accusations. Even if the accusation is unfounded, being branded a troll is quite damaging to one's online reputation.[13]

You are definitely a troll lol.. And I cut and pasted from my own articles ;) Thanks though.. Oh, and you might want to actually read the OP!

P.S. your argument does not need to be in your own words, you can copy and paste, just mention the source :)

You do not own this space and your unsupported woo woo consciousness information theory crap is tedious and useless.

Wow, you can't even read and comprehend the very article you post under! Don't get mad because you are intellectually a moron. And I don't mind being a douche bag to intentional stupid people, it makes interesting material for T-Shirts :P Especially those who initiate the breaking of the rules posted below:

http://www.atheistnexus.org/forum/topics/a-discussion-of-the-rules-...

Care to tell us what is posted under this link for us John B? I'm just curious because you see to be very well defined by this here.

Nope :)

Just showing your worth is all :) You do realize that I do find this entertaining and rather hilarious, don't you? :P  

Your hair must be standing on end waiting to be pulled out. :) It's like watching you drown in your own insanity John D. And that is rather amusing. Six pages of you drowning in your own stupor. You can claim all my posts to be nonsense and it won't bother me one bit ;) I just sit here and smile because you can't do anything other than toss ad hominems around. ;) It's the best and only method of argument you seem to have lol

lol

And what source specifically have you proven to be bunk?  Oh jeeze this is good stuff..

• Can you post a reply without information?

Common, you can do it Johny D.. Show the world that information theory is bunk lol! I almost wonder how many times you have to slap yourself in the face before you actually comprehend your failure in this discussion. :)

Intelligence isn't your strong suite is it? o.O

I tell you what Johny D.. If you or a GOD can post a reply to me on this forum without information, energy, or material-physicality.. I will worship you and the GOD. ;) Shouldn't be too difficult since you have supposedly "debunked" my position lol. Makes me wonder if "I reject" equals debunked in your language.

Anyone want to give it a try? I'll put it up for grabs!..

1) a tree dies

2) it decomposes

3) years later it is broken down into soil

Now.  take this soil and extract the "information" for the tree.

The information that made the tree is still there. It's just no longer in the form of a tree. Your argument seems to plead for us to reconstruct the tree as it were, or as if we can magically hit the rewind button. Wait.. I can record it on video and hit the rewind button to demonstrate that it could be done if we could do it.. I don't think you understand what information is in modern information theory.

If the tree is cut down and chopped into firewood, it's no longer a tree, it becomes firewood! Information isn't lost, it changes meaning in the human language, or it's current physical state. Hence, we give it a new name and description while itself has changed in the physical sense!. However, all the atoms, energy ect that make up the structure of the tree is still there.

You need to go back and learn what information theory entails because it doesn't just deal with writing, logic, or mathematics ;) It deals with data, code, substance, matter, energy, patterns, structure, or arrangements there of. Hence, you better ask yourself what is the data on your hard drive made of? How is it stored? How is it accessed? And how does it change if you format your hard drive?  You might argue information is lost, but it's not. It just changes into a unrecoverable state from it's previous state.. It's like erasing words on a chalk board and watching the chalk hit the floor and asking if information had been lost.

Well, information is never lost.. It only changes.

Wow.  You really do believe this shit.

Hey - does anyone else out there believe this shit????

Soil is soil.  It is not a tree.  Examine the soil and you can find a carbon atom.  It is just a carbon atom.  It has no idea that it used to be in a tree.  It is a fucking atom!

Are you really this dumb? What do you think these words are made of, and soil is made of lol.. Atoms! Atoms made of higher excited states of energy. I bet you don't even know the differences between atoms lol.

And what do you think the Tree changes into when it decomposes lol.. SOIL!. Soil contains organics! And those silly atoms! You might even want to look up what crude oil is comprised of lol. Or get an understanding of electromagnetism to understand how your hard drive works!. Or to understand how we can fuse brain cells to micro-chips and have then fly a flight simulator, and even develop distinctive personality traits. You might want to google how scientists extract images from the human brain, or how G-lock effects consciousness.

Your level of education is at best stuck in the 8th grade level. And that is being generous.

Hey, I have an education tip for you.. Look up the 4 stages of matter ;)

You can't trace back the "information" of the atom to prior states.  You can't take an atom and find out it used to be in a tree, or dinosaur shit 75 million years ago, or a collapsed star 5 billion years ago.

Your claim is that the information of the location of the collapsed star is still somehow inside this one atom?

How can you call me an idiot?

You did not answer my question about medical marijuana.

LOL.. If I could have recorded it, I could have. Your pleading for ignorance. This argument of tracing information is not relevant! It's about the chaotic system where information can change. Whether or not an atom that was apart of a tree can be traced back millions of years is entirely irrelevant lol. 

And just for the sake of argument.. We can trace a light source back billions of years. We only need to know what the speed of light is. while having standard candles like super nova and stars like our own sun! Hmm.. what's the farthest known galaxy from Earth?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/02/040216084432.htm

Located an estimated 13 billion light-years away.

And how is this measured?

http://spiff.rit.edu/classes/phys240/lectures/cepheid/cepheid.html

LOL.. now you are back peddling back to "I reject".. ;)

I almost wonder if you think we exist in a closed system lol. And You know what doesn't have information value John D.. NOTHING lol

And the Matrix was about occam's razor. I can even give a prime example of it without violating any rules, physics or laws. An example of a solipsistic state.

THE MUTE ARGUMENT:

A child is born from our perspective to be unable to feel, see, hear, or smell to where this would result In the fact that this child would be completely unable to respond to any outside source of stimuli, or unable to sense and observe it. This child would be in a solipsistic state of mind to where this child's universe could never consciously perceive that of our own universe even though this child is equally apart of it.(this fits into the concept of religion where death transcends to another reality). This in a sense is an example of Occam's Razor, and a Sollipsist reality.. This child would not know that itself is a living biological being born from the whom of his mother. And it gets better, we being the outside observers could never peer into this child's mind, or this child's universe to understand what kind of reality this child is experiencing. Hence, we could never currently establish if this child is even consciously self-aware, or has imagined a whole different universe of existence. Hence, can a world be created within the mind based off what little information the locked in mind may have gathered during it's development in the whom?

So what happens if this child wakes up and discovers that itself is apart of another universe much grander than the one he was locked into? And what does that say about our own universe?.. Are we locked in? Is there an ever ingress in reality? So if we die and wake up in another universe, what kind of understanding would we have of reality or of existence?. So if this child wakes up and tells us, or explains to us what his reality was like, He nor we could ever really know if we are in a similar Lock-in, or explain our entire existence and universe even if we can understand the basic ground state principles.  

However, what we do know is that no matter what the case may be, the mind will always require containment, a place to exist, dimensional value, information and material physicality.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service