Hello everyone,

It not so bizarre that atheist and religious preachers share so many things in common than they would admit.

Firstly, both have contradictions in what they preach, yet both see nothing but consistency. I'm familiar with the feeling of being absolutely right. When I was a fundamentalist Muslim I saw Islam as flawless, and it was only when I lost my faith that contradictions started to pop out. I was angry and depressed. I felt I was deceived and hated Islam with all my heart. I started to believe a lot of anti-religion arguments and these 'beliefs' started to appear as flawless once again. Only when time healed my wounds, and my hate toward Islam started to fade away that I started to ask myself who deceived me into Islam in the first place? Why does religion exist? I could only find one answer, the human mind, or to be precise, human genes.

When I stopped becoming hostile toward religion I started to notice a lot of contradictions in a lot of these 'in the name of reason" arguments, in fact, it appeared as just another religion. You do not need a deity or a sacred book to have a religion. I see religion as a necessary illusion that our minds created. We as humans have a simple purpose, to survive and reproduce, and religion is a powerful tool to achieve that.

A lot of atheists seem to think our purpose is to reason and discover the secrets of existence. Perhaps that's why this anti-religious movement is just another religion, it gives its adherents an emotional purpose. just like religion.

One argument is that religion is against nature when it comes to sex, but like sex, religion is natural too. Why support one natural aspect and be against another natural aspect? Another argument is religion is against scientific advancement, but since when was scientific advancement part of human nature? Since the scientific revolution, we humans bred into 7 billion people and damaged our nature so badly. Scientific advancement might even one day lead us into extinction if it has not already.

Do not get me wrong, I'm not against science, I'm just saying that religion seems to be adapting well, and active atheism has manifested into a religion with illusions that only appear true to it's believers.

Views: 582

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Provocative, but not the atheism I practice.  Skepticism/humanism is not arrogant about absolute truth; it claims only temporary truth. 

Secrets of existence?  Hell, I'm just trying to get through this life alive and without any more screwups!  That's why I'm constantly in search of practical wisdom and philosophy wherever I can find it.  And I can always find it without religious crap attached.

Religion is natural and unnatural.  It served as explanantion for a great deal that we now have better explanations for.  It was once natural to assume unseen gods; now, it's not.  Sex is still natural.

I disagree that religion is adaptive today. Perhaps a thousand years ago having a religion gave a population an edge in competition. Today's survival challenge isn't to compete with neighboring populations for apparently limitless resources of nature, but to avoid self-extinction through overpopulation-driven Climate Destabilization. Religion actively hinders people from comprehending the survival challenge we face, and keeps people past-focused when they need to pay attention and value the world they're handing to their children.

I disagree that atheism is like a religion. A secular reality-based approach to what's important in life is far from dogmatic. It doesn't have to get stuck in the "anti-religious" phase. Many atheists move beyond cutting the apron strings to finding meaning and value creatively, in a diversity of ways.

Religion may be an illusion our minds have created, but it's not necessary!

Atheism doesn't give an emotional purpose to life, it frees you to find your own purpose and meaning.

Human beings are meaning-makers. We create meaning in a million different ways, art, music, dance, growing plants, friendship, love, dedication to helping animals or children or to saving the earth, etc. You surely have activities in your life where you create meaning and share it with others.

Human beings are meaning-makers. We create meaning in a million different ways, art, music, dance, growing plants, friendship, love, dedication to helping animals or children or to saving the earth, etc. You surely have activities in your life where you create meaning and share it with others.

Hear hear! It is a wonderful freedom to understand this single opportunity to "paint our masterpiece." How great is it that we are in a free fall of creation, exploration, examination, and mystery?

Religion isn't adaptive, it's reactive.  It's reacting to attacks against its putative authority while attempting to maintain that same authority.  Its problem is that, being based in a lie, indeed a series of lies, it truly has no leg to stand on.  It has presumed that it had a genuine authority, based in those lies; it's problem is that it is being found out, first by people like us, and eventually by others who learn from us or on their on initiative.

Religion can't adapt without ultimately losing itself.  Just as well.

Yep, the only "adaptation" possible for religion is erosive movement towards classification within the ranks of other discarded mythologies.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service