Hello all!  As I'm sure you've guessed by now, I'm new here.  I stumbled across this place a few days ago and just felt like I had to join.  Most everyone I know (with the exception of my husband) is fairly religious.  My parents are Southern Baptist, my father has been a Deacon with the church for over a decade now.  I used to attend church with them, when I was a child, but when I entered my teens I pulled away because I didn't want to live a lie.

I just couldn't buy into it.  Logically, it didn't make any sense.  I never considered the Bible to be anything more than a collection of fairy tales...  Now I sometimes read the stories to my own children, right in between Goodnight Moon and The Cat in the Hat.

I've spent a lot of time studying religion.  Not formally, but still fairly in depth.  I've read every religious text from every religion no matter how obscure or outdated... I needed truth.  I needed answers to my questions and the only place I ever found any was in science.  For a very long time I considered myself agnostic.  Who was I to say for certain that God was an impossible entity?  I wrestled with this for years, until I finally came to terms with what I really am and really believe. 

This has helped me a lot.  Now I tend to live more in the moment.  Life is short, there's no heaven or hell, just this, right now.  It goes by too quickly to mourn it, I choose to celebrate it.

I'm a stay at home mom at the moment, but before that I was a Graphic Artist and aspiring novelist.  I write all of the time, every day, without fail.  Most of the things I've written thus far are science fiction or fantasy, I'm really just a geek when you get down to it.

To sum me up.  I'm an atheist, duh.  I'm sort of a hippie, I'm completely liberal, I love british tv shows, coffee, politics, movies, hiking, pop culture, music...  I'm fairly easy-going, really.  This place seems to be much the same.  Everyone has been very nice so far and I love that.  Most forums or discussion boards these days are so vile and hostile.  I have no time for that in my life, so I'm thrilled to see how cool everyone here is.

I look forward to getting to know everyone better and oh my word, did I really just type that much?  My curse is verbosity.  :P

-Tracie

Views: 4

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good for you. I have been an OUT atheist for a week, and a closeted atheist for a few years. And yes we are a preety calm collection of people here or at least I am as I can't speak for everyone else. I just want to tell you there are plenty of things to do, groups to join, and other stuff. take a look around if you haven't already. good luck on your journey of life and god bless.....NOT!!!! ;)
I love British tv shows

Oh I'm liking you already! :-D

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Idaho Spud commented on DAN DANA's blog post RR Excerpt #11: Most Scientists Are Atheists
7 minutes ago
Grinning Cat replied to Sentient Biped's discussion All of the christian religion in one tweet
13 minutes ago
Brent Feeney replied to James M. Martin's discussion It Doesn't Take Long for this Racist Missouri Lawman to Blast Anyone Different from a Middle-Aged White Male
13 minutes ago
Grinning Cat replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Supreme Court increasingly accepting unverified "facts" from amicus briefs in the group Justice For All
27 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan joined Sentient Biped's group
28 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Supreme Court increasingly accepting unverified "facts" from amicus briefs in the group Justice For All
28 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Getting Speech Straight - "Homosexual" is not an LGBT-friendly term in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
30 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Supreme Court increasingly accepting unverified "facts" from amicus briefs in the group Justice For All
33 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan posted a discussion
36 minutes ago
Idaho Spud liked Grinning Cat's discussion Supreme Court increasingly accepting unverified "facts" from amicus briefs
38 minutes ago
Pat replied to Sentient Biped's discussion All of the christian religion in one tweet
40 minutes ago
Luara replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Getting Speech Straight - "Homosexual" is not an LGBT-friendly term in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
40 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service