I sometime read religious boards and it amazes and disappoints me how much religious zealots and atheist have in common – the absolute and righteous certainty that they at the exclusion of others possess knowledge/revelations that makes them the bearers of the truth.   

Recently on a different Atheist discussion board a lady that had just lost her young daughter wrote about her religious experience and of the comfort she receivers from her faith.  She politely shared her heart breaking story and even offered words of kindness.  The replies were predictably brutal and mocking, barely a shred of compassion for a mother that lost her child.  I made my best to present my atheist point of view to this lady but I did so with respect, compassion and understanding.  I also felt ashamed for my fellow atheists.

I see it here too at nexus, the same hubris and arrogance that at times is such that some individuals proclaim that their philosophies are “my own religion” while others are themselves “…my own religion” and their church is “my flesh and blood”.  Does this sound strangely familiar?  I suppose soon we will have Gods among us. 

Before we all get too heady from over indulging in the advantages of having the weight of evidence in our favor, we should remember that pointing out the irrationality of religion is as-easy-as- shooting-fish-in-a-barrel!  The real challenge is offering something better.

We are no better than those that dismiss us and demean us for being atheist if we dismiss and demean them for being believers. The belittling of others only diminishes us and at the very least makes us as misguided as we see theists to be.

It would serve us all well to remember that before presenting our carefully constructed arguments we could show something very simple – respect – and maybe even modesty.

If you believe that logic and reason offers superior guidance than mysticism and religion then BE the example.   

Views: 253

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Miguel: I explained my reasons for not posting other people's comments in another website without their permission and I certainly am not going to the trouble to try to get it.

The only thing Roy asked you for was a link - not a complete reprint and DNA profile. I assume it's a public forum. The only grounds for your secrecy would be if it didn't exist. You're not telling fibs are you?

How many people openly and even proudly admitted to being rude on this very discussion and you need proof are you kidding?

OK, you tell me who? Unprovoked rudeness - zero. Provoked rudeness - everyone that has a spine.

Your line of argument and reasoning is a train wreck. It has no cohesion or direction or logic. It's consistent feature is your quivering lip of indignation propped up by the arrogant hubris of which you accuse us.

Either be coherent and back up your statements or shut the fuck up. There are minimum standards for discussion here that you completely fail to meet. Your incoherence is that of a troll feebly scraping away because he's not getting the responses he wants. I'm not going to ask you what you really want because you won't answer that honestly. But you are not going to get any respect or be treated seriously unless you lift your game. You're just wasting time otherwise.
There are people here with worse english than yours Fred. If you can't understand what's been said here, it's most probably because you don't want to. Here -

This post is based on a fabricated story meant to incite negative responses. To me, that is what is sad about this and disgusting at the same time.

Miguel played us. I am giving him the courtesy to lick his wounds. Until he supplies the appropriate links to show that this is based on a real event and not imagined, I am standing by my position that this is nothing but a pile of horse shit

Fools rush in.
Roy: This post is based on a fabricated story meant to incite negative responses.

This is precisely it. This is the gazzillionth re-run of exactly the same crap: "atheists are so intolerant blah blah" followed by miscellaneous chain yanking, faux indignation and "I told you so"'s. On a significant number of occasions it was indeed guerrilla theists on a mission. Most of the rest have been militant agnostics with an axe to grind against atheists, probably because an atheist made then feel stupid once too often. I used to laugh at the very idea of the latter, but unfortunately they do exist. Whatever they are the goal seems to be the same - to push someone to the point where they make an unfortunate outburst which then can get filed away to be used as necessary in promoting similar noise-fests elsewhere. An equally important goal is to rub their wank blistered palms together gleefully while congratulating themselves on their own cleverness. Yes, some folks are that petty and brainless. Fred's sympathy is just a special, unlooked for bonus.
Okay, I've got one more comment to make on this bit and I'm gonna bail, but here it is:

WHY would someone go into the enemy's camp, looking for comfort?
Why didn't this person go into a believers' group, instead?

This is a behavior I see all the time on another board I work, and without exception, the reason is to proselytize, period. It's possible you can argue that the initial response statement might better have been, "Ma'am, I believe you're in the wrong forum," or whatever, but again, she KNOWINGLY went in there.

This is a pattern we see time and time again: the theists invade OUR space and vastly more often than we do theirs (at least to my experience). Done once it might be a mistake, but multiple times, the pattern and intent becomes all too clear.

Those who want to be purposefully stupid will eventually find themselves paying the price for being stupid.

That's all I've got. I'm outta here.
"Those who want to be purposefully stupid will eventually find themselves paying the price for being stupid."

Let us hope for your sake that the price will not be more than you can bear.
I agree, Loren - this thread has gone about as long as it could (probably longer than it should).

uɐƃoɹƃ ɥɔןǝɟ, this kinda reminds me of one of the last guys to get 'bounced' out of here. No sense getting into an ass-kickin' contest with someone who doesn't have a leg to stand on ;)
"At least I've learned nothing so it wasn't a complete waste." Yes, the last thing you would want to do waste your time learning anything. I'm glad this 'discussion' has relieved you of that experience.

Read my original post it's simple and to the point.
Miguel: Yes, the last thing you would want to do waste your time learning anything. I'm glad this 'discussion' has relieved you of that experience.

Read my original post it's simple and to the point.

Reetard. Give us the link. Or just make one up and pretend it's broken. Do something other than spin in a pointless circle.
Hey - you two even been introduced?

Funk . . . Miguel;

Miguel . . . Funk Q :)
Maybe so, Funk ... but Miguel has yet to refute my primary premise: that she was there as much to proselytize and convert as she may have been to seek solace and/or comfort. If she hadn't mentioned her faith, she MIGHT have been credible. As it is, sorry, no sale.

Oh, and Miguel? I've taken care of me and mine for a while. I can carry the weight.
Indeed, too much such "politeness" is what has given rise to Political Correctness ... which I have ZERO tolerance for.

My question still stands and I've yet to hear a sapient answer:

WHY would a believer who is in pain over a serious personal loss go into an atheist forum and expect sympathy as a matter of course?

And once again, she "wrote about her religious experience and of the comfort she receivers [sic] from her faith."

The ONLY way she has an excuse is if she HAD NO IDEA WHATSOEVER that she was on an atheists' board, which frankly I doubt mightily. If I treat theists' invasion of our space as the rule, it is because that has been my repeated and consistent experience. If this incident is an exception, I have yet to hear cause to treat it as such.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service