http://centerforinquiry.net/cfe/cases/alber_saber

Alber Saber is a twenty-seven-year-old prominent activist for secular democracy in Egypt who was arrested during the recent protests in Cairo over a film made in the United States that depicts the Islamic prophet Muhammad in a negative light. Saber, raised in a Coptic Christian household, is an atheist who reportedly operates the Egyptian Atheists page on Facebook and has been a vocal critic of fundamentalist Islam.

On September 14, 2012, a crowd of hundreds formed outside of Saber’s home chanting “Allahu Akbar” and demanding that Saber be arrested for allegedly posting a link to the film, along with other crimes such as insulting religion. When the police arrived, they arrested Saber and put him in jail.

Saber was reportedly beaten after a prison guard announced his charges to others in Saber’s cell. He faces between six months and five years in prison and/or a fine between five hundred and one thousand pounds.

Views: 58

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

He is a better person than I.  If I lived where my life would be at risk just for having a different opinion about reality.  I am afraid, I would meet potential violence with overwhelming violence that unconditionally crosses the line of "evil".  Luckily I don't live in such a place.  Most people have been pretty good.  And those individuals that aren't that decent haven't been enough trouble to worry about.  Ethics are only something you have when you can afford it.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Freethinker31 liked Brent Feeney's discussion BRUTALLY HONEST: The Dirty Truth About Capitalism and Free Markets
5 minutes ago
Freethinker31 replied to Freethinker31's discussion We Are One
17 minutes ago
John Jubinsky added a discussion to the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
18 minutes ago
Brent Feeney posted a discussion
24 minutes ago
Craigart14 replied to John Loq's discussion The Bible is Evil
26 minutes ago
26 minutes ago
Patricia replied to Freethinker31's discussion We Are One
31 minutes ago
Gabrielle Smith posted a video

Viking Trance - This Generation

What is the meaning of this video ? / Quel est le sens de cette vidéo? The video is entitled 'This Generation' and looks at the world our children will inher...
32 minutes ago
Freethinker31 replied to k.h. ky's discussion Edward Snowden
32 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to k.h. ky's discussion Edward Snowden
39 minutes ago
40 minutes ago
Freethinker31 replied to k.h. ky's discussion Edward Snowden
47 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service