In case you managed to avoid the Super Bowl, here is a link to the Focus on the Family's 30 second ad:

If I had not read anything about it, I would say it promotes violence against middle aged women! But I don't have an invisible friend, so what do I know.

Views: 47

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

WOW... that was subtle. I'm sure I missed all the Christian Code Words. But I suppose that's what they needed to do to get it past the sensors. I still think that it shouldn't matter how subtle the message. If the network says that they will not allow political statements during the Superbowl then they need to stick to it... regardless of WHO is featured. I so next year are we going to have a bunch of political adds by athletes.. that don't really say anything but mean something to those in the "know"???
I think the only "code words" in the midst of that stupid 30- or 60-second idiocy were the four it ended with: "Focus on the Family." Apparently they don't think they're well enough known in their own community and figured they needed to throw something innocuous into the Super Bowl mix. It would be intriguing to see what the fallout was from that ad, outside of maybe a few thousand curious hits on their website. Other than that ... feh.
As long as I don't see another E*trade baby commercial, I'll be fine.
Urgh, really? To each its own....

It was giggly cute at first, but now I think they are trying to hard.
"Which seems really odd since this past year they announced how fundraising was down and they had to lay off staff."

Yeah, times are tough when you can barely scrape together enough money for a 30 second Superbowl commercial.
LOL... I'm sure the folks who lost jobs felt their sacrifice was justified.
FOF didn't have to say much in the commercial, the media carried out a lot of free advertising. If it works for godless billboards than it can work for anti-choice promotion.
I really don't see what is so provocative about this ad.

The dialog is rather mundane and ambiguous ...
That ad represented a half million dollars that could have gone to "good works" anywhere from Haiti to homeless people in the snow; from helping raise unwanted babies born to mothers who were talked out of their abortion choice, to shelters for battered wives of penis-centric male heads of 'christian' households. That's a lot of good work avoided just to say Boo! to the moderates who objected to CBS changing their rules at the last minute.

And I agree with FOA, this was probably the most bland and unmemorable of all the Superbowl ads. It seems like mind games played by people with mind troubles - how very curious.
Hey!!! Wait a second ...

Are you saying that every crucifix toting, Q'uran keeping, prayer bead rubbing, monster 4-wheel driving, high rise pickup owning, NASCAR loving, Rebel flag flying, sheep shagger has a small penis?

Hmmm, seems slightly dubious, but okay, I'll go with it. This round to Ian.
I'm not familiar with this organisation, but are they really financed well enough to go to all the trouble you describe, plus the enormous costs of even a :30 spot in a Super Bowl?

Seems like a lack of proper assessment and financial gambling ... seems too benign in the overall to have really achieved anything.
Stunning. I had never previously look up these figures. A half million dollars is a spit in the Grand Canyon for these people.

Founder: Dr. James C. Dobson
Established: 1977
Finances: $137,848,520 (2004 Focus on the Family revenue); $24,988,036 (2004 Focus on the Family Action revenue)
Staff: approximately 1,300 employees
Publications: 2.3 million subscribers to ten monthly magazines. Magazine titles include: Focus on the Family, Citizen Magazine, Parental Guidance, Clubhouse and Clubhouse Jr. Focus on the Family also publishes a wide variety of books, tapes, films and videos.

More at:
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/focus-family

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service