I say "Romney" in quotes because it has become painfully obvious that the real Romney is nowhere to be seen, the Romney on the stump being a sort of cipher, a suit, or, as one wag put it, an automaton designed and built in Japan, begging Repubs to provide a provenance in much the same way that the more loony of their number called for Obama to present his birth certificate.  Now that Romney has chosen Paul Ryan as his running mate, at least there'll be real person stumping. All too real -- and downright scary.

The real Ryan wants to return us to the GWB fiscal policies of even larger tax breaks for the super rich, a return to "trickle down" economics, laissez-faire capitalism, anti-regulatory government that led to deficit spending on two foreign wars and other horrors.  Even disregarding the death-knell to Medicare as we know it, drastic cuts in spending on anything benefitting the poor and middle class, and other shocks to the system, there is another aspect to a Ryan run that should alarm all members of this community, one he spoke of during his speech in Virginia after introduction by the robot Romney.

During the speech, he said: "...America is more than just a place...it’s an idea. It’s the only country founded on an idea. Our rights come from nature and God, not government. We promise equal opportunity, not equal outcomes."  That's right, he injected something called "God" into the proceedings.  And the reference to "nature" is a coded message, one pegged to his religious beliefs, as it is primary tenet of Roman Catholicism that man has no rights apart from "natural rights," and natural rights are those bestowed upon man by a supreme being.  If anyone wants a hilarious send up of this ridiculous dogma, check out Robert Anton Wilson's Natural Law, or Don't Put a Rubber on Your Willy (1987).  Wilson points out that the church relies almost entirely for its anti-gay, anti-women, anti-birth control, &c. policies by claiming they are "against Natural Law."

In an epigraph, Wilson quoted A. E. Housman, which deserves reprinting here:

The laws of God, the laws of Man,
He may keep who will, and can;
Not I: let God and man decree
Laws for themselves and not for me.

— A.E. Housman

You might want to check out Ryan's voting record on all such matters, too; you'll find that he has a 100% homophobic & misogynist record.  It's clear he believes in the David Barton farce that holds that the founding fathers wanted America to be "a Christian nation," such that the way is paved for theocracy to be established on our shores, the better to deprive us of religious freedom, even perhaps the right to believe in nothing.  Fortunately, his positions on these things will be exposed by the Dems.  They have a new whipping boy to attack.  There's not much point in attacking Mittens Rumney.  The worst that can happen is that a part will be smashed, and the Chinese or Japanese factory that made him can ship in a replacement.

Views: 768

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It also indicates that the GOP has no interest in moderation, moving back to the center or worst of all, reaching across the aisle to craft any form of compromise legislation.  If Obama is reelected, republican obstructionism will continue, unless Obama can get a majority in the House and a super-majority in the Senate, neither horribly likely, though the '14 elections might be interesting.  If Romney should somehow get in there ... no, I'm not sanguine at all about what that might foment.

The job that leaves us with is to point out, again and again, how the current policies of the republican party are NOT in the best interests of the middle class, repetitively and redundantly repeating that lesson until it sinks in and the GOP either moves back toward the center or dies of its own irrelevance.

I don't know much about Ryan - I will educate myself. I'm sure he's as bad as Romney.

In late January 2010, Ryan released a modified version of his "roadmap".[57] The modified plan would: give across-the-board tax cuts by reducing income tax rates; eliminate income taxes on capital gains, dividends, and interest; and abolish the corporate income tax,estate tax, and alternative minimum tax. The plan would privatize a portion of Social Security,[58][59] eliminate the tax exclusion foremployer-sponsored health insurance,[59] and privatize Medicare.[58][59]

from wikipedia

His plan is to basically eliminate any taxes on very rich people, and shift the entire tax burden to us.

Yuck!

Just what we need. NOT!

And he will add to the deficit.

No, he is worse than Romney.  That is the point.  He is the Tea Party Veep.

Koch brothers' hand-picked star is worse than Romney.

Grinning Cat, love the graphic!

I don't even like that fact that Ryan's State touches MY State.  He is scary as 'hell'.~ Melinda

We aren't all that bad. :)

Right off the top of my head, I can't remember where I heard this, but now with Ryan as the VP pick, I think there is fair amount of truth to the following proposition.

What the GOP, and the Teabaggers in Congress want, is a "caretaker" President. I'm mean, honestly, even Republicans don't like Romney. John Boehner, Republican Speaker of the House, said as much himself. Realistically, Romney has no leadership ability. He was for the assault weapons ban, abortion, individual health care mandate, etc., before he decided he was against all those things in his effort to pander to the extremist elements of the GOP. He has no foreign policy ability, as evidenced by his recent European fiasco. All he has going for him is his ability to acquire wealth.  

What the GOP wants is a President who will sit quietly in the White House, do what he's told, and sign whatever legislation the Teabaggers hand him. Romeny could be replaced with an auto-pen device.  Congress will be ascendant, and will be the dominant branch of government. If elected, Romney and Boehner will be figureheads. Boehner can't control the Teabaggers now, and blubbers like 4 year old who has a lollipop taken away from him. Imagine his complete lack of power of under a Romney/Ryan administration. Eric Cantor will be the power in Congress and coordinate with the VP Ryan for the radical restructuring of the American government. Individuals like Santorum and his ilk will be in charge of the powerful Congressional Committees, and US will head toward fascism faster than a downhill skier at the Winter Olympics.

And that, in humble estimation, is why Ryan is on the ticket. That, and having a breathing human standing next to the automaton. 

You mean like the figurehead president, W, who was completely overshadowed by Cheney and Rove?  Isn't it interesting you never hear a peep out of Bush while Cheney is still blustering about?

Pretty similar.  Except Cheney, Rumsfeld, and Rove made sure power stayed with the Executive Branch. With Romney, it will shift to the Legislative Branch, with the Supreme Court rubber stamping whatever they do.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service