I was watching a TV show recently that featured a professional athlete who was talking about all of the success he had in life. He spoke about long days he spent practicing and about how driven he was to always be the best he could be. The person he was speaking with said "Congratulations you must be good." to which the athlete replied "I'm not good, I'm just blessed."

Comments like that always put me off. You hear it from so many people from athletes to movie stars to great humanitarians and everything in between. So many people working so hard to accomplish their goals and then so eagerly give the credit away. Many people see it as an act of grace but all I see is invalidation of their own effort. I always want to ask why they even needed to work or try if God was going to bless them with the end result anyways. Anyone else find themselves cringing at these statements?

Views: 338

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Seriously?  Wow.  Just, wow.
Saw BUNCHES of that down here in April.
It must be maddening if you are an atheist surgeon and hear a family say that god worked miracles to save their loved one.
I completely agree with you...and I would LOVE to be able to find an atheist doctor! :)
I take something for anxiety.  I have to go to a therapists office to get it, even though I don't get therapy.  When I switched to a new one, and I've put this on here before, when she was getting to know me for our first appt., I said I was an Atheist.  She said "But you seem like such a moral person." WHAT??????  She seems SO naive it's ridiculous.  I'm glad I only have to go twice a year to get the prescription renewed.
You must have been so furious! I am pissed just reading it. What a follower this person is. It would have been great to say, " I thought you had some intelligence with that degree!".
I seriously think she wouldn't understand what I meant!
Oh man, you are a tough patient!  But hell, you are so right!
Nothing says humble like claiming that God specifically chose you!
congratulations!
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  If you tried this reasoning with some imbeciles though, their answer would be "God works in mysterious ways...".  MY answer to that is "What a MONSTER!!!!"

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service