Texas' War on Women: "It's Not Political" Legislator Claims

Now that the abortion limitations bill has cleared the bicameral Texas legislature, it is a foregone conclusion that the delusional governor of the state, a man who hobnobs with such lunatics as the Reverends John Hagee, Rick Scarborough, and Robert Jeffress (all on various human rights hate lists), will sign it into law, it might be instructive to see just how far the state has gone to dissolve the barrier between church and state.  Bear in mind, evangelicals have preached for years that church-state separation is a "myth," and they've even gone so far as to trot out a "historian" to prove the point: David Barton, whose last book was so riddled with error the Christian publishing company that printed it withdrew it from the market.  (Barton, also from Texas, holds one college degree, in Christian education, from that lofty institution of higher learning, Oral Roberts University.)  I know Henry Ford is famous/notorious for claiming that "history is bunk," but the discipline in Barton's hands produced, in his book, The Jefferson Lies, what has been called "the least credible history book in print."  He is a regular on Huckabee and Beck.

Given that the far right wingnut base of the Republican Party supports their position on abortion with nothing but paternalistic dogma grounded in scriptural presentism, it might seem a little silly, nonsensical really, to hear the pols in Austin claiming that their vote for a post-20-week ban on abortion, along with measures reducing the number of facilities performing the service from 42 to 6 and requiring expensive hospital privileges of the remaining clinics, is not a "political" one.  Yet, here we have Sen. Dan Patrick (R-Houston), author of The Second Most Important Book You Will Ever Read: A Personal Challenge to Read the Bible and right wing radio talk show host, addressing the legislative body and saying, "This isn't about poltics.  This is about life."  His speech was well larded with claims that the United States is "a nation based on Judeo-Christian values."

Oh?  Again (and I apologize to those readers who are all too familiar with such quotations), here is Jefferson on the matter:

"I have examined all the known superstitions of the world and I do not find in our particular superstition of Christianity one redeeming feature.  They are all alike founded on fables and mythology.  Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, and imprisoned.  What has been the effect of this coercion?  To make one half the world fools and the other half hypocrites; to support roguery and error all over the earth." 

What is the Republican War on Women but roguery?  What is Dan Patrick, a fool or a hypocrite?  Or both.

James Madison:

"An alliance or coalition between Government and religion cannot be too carefully guarded against......Every new and successful example therefore of a PERFECT SEPARATION between ecclesiastical and civil matters is of importance........religion and government will exist in greater purity, without (rather) than with the aid of government."

If curtailing abortion in any manner offensive to the Supreme Court's decision in Roe v. Wade is not "political," it is difficult to see what could be.  For people who regularly rant about the need to curtail "big government," these louts are both foolish and hypocritical: foolish because their actions will end up costing the taxpayers in their states megabucks in defending their measures in the courts of the land, and hypocritical in exercising governmental interference in citizens rights to privacy and, should the coat hangers be brought out anew, the most important of the Constitutional guarantees of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.Texas Sen. Dan Patrick

Views: 609

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My hope is with the younger generations. If they can mobilize and continue having a 'checkitonsnopes' sort of attitude, I think we can go far.

My vote is Colorado. Got friends up there and I love the view. Washington State is also a good choice, but a farther trip up from Texas.

Colorado is fine.  A few too many gun nuts, but otherwise fine.  Weed available to cancer victims like me. Why is it I never get tired from anemia when I am smoking?

Compared to Texas, though? Gee, I wonder if Colorado would be okay with my concealed tampons... ;)

As long as you keep them loaded into the chambers of a six gun.

Actually Colorado passed some significant firearm legislation last year. I've lived here for 73 years and can't imagine living anywhere else. We do have a lot of gun owners (me included)but not a lot of gun nuts. However, we do have a lot of garden variety nuts.

If legislating medical care for women is not political, what is? Politics is power of one person over another or one religion over another. Whether personal or religion, power of one over another is dominionism ... the cornerstone of Abrahamic faiths. 

Do the religious/dominionists not realize that many ideas permeated the debates during the founding of our republic? Do they not know the definition of secularism? 

"Secularism is the principle of separation of government institutions, and the persons mandated to represent the State, from religious institutions and religious dignitaries. In one sense, secularism may assert the right to be free from religious rule and teachings, and the right to freedom from governmental imposition of religion upon the people within a state that is neutral on matters of belief."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secularism

Do relious/dominionists not know the individuals who were secularists in the founding fathers?

Hamilton was an agnostic and deist for most of his life,

Jefferson was generally regarded as an atheist by most New England clergy and newspaper editors, he did not believe in the divinity of Jesus.

Adams began as a Congregationalist, though a staunch opponent of New Light evangelicalism, then a Unitarian.  He stated “there is no life ever-after."

George Washington was a pantheist rather than a deist because he believed these other-worldly forces, whatever we called them, had earthly presences. He attended Episcopal services as a social obligation. In his last hours no ministers or chaplains were invited to his bedside. He died as a Roman stoic more than a Christian believer.

"The common conviction that bound together most of the Founders was the belief in the complete separation of church and state. As products of the Enlightenment, they shared Diderot’s vision of a heavenly city on earth where the last priest would be strangled with the entrails of the last king."

http://www.britannica.com/blogs/2007/03/the-us-founding-fathers-the...

Joan, I wish you would accompany me when I go to a function where David Barton is speaking.  You distract everyone on one side of the auditorium while I run up on stage and drive a coconut cream pie into his lying face.

James, sounds like a plan! Make the pie with molasses and feathers.

I agree with Joan!  Why should he get a delicious coconut cream pie?  Make the pie out of something yucky.

I was thinking this would avoid an arrest for ricin or something.

How about a haggis pie? 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service