Texas' War on Women: "It's Not Political" Legislator Claims

Now that the abortion limitations bill has cleared the bicameral Texas legislature, it is a foregone conclusion that the delusional governor of the state, a man who hobnobs with such lunatics as the Reverends John Hagee, Rick Scarborough, and Robert Jeffress (all on various human rights hate lists), will sign it into law, it might be instructive to see just how far the state has gone to dissolve the barrier between church and state.  Bear in mind, evangelicals have preached for years that church-state separation is a "myth," and they've even gone so far as to trot out a "historian" to prove the point: David Barton, whose last book was so riddled with error the Christian publishing company that printed it withdrew it from the market.  (Barton, also from Texas, holds one college degree, in Christian education, from that lofty institution of higher learning, Oral Roberts University.)  I know Henry Ford is famous/notorious for claiming that "history is bunk," but the discipline in Barton's hands produced, in his book, The Jefferson Lies, what has been called "the least credible history book in print."  He is a regular on Huckabee and Beck.

Given that the far right wingnut base of the Republican Party supports their position on abortion with nothing but paternalistic dogma grounded in scriptural presentism, it might seem a little silly, nonsensical really, to hear the pols in Austin claiming that their vote for a post-20-week ban on abortion, along with measures reducing the number of facilities performing the service from 42 to 6 and requiring expensive hospital privileges of the remaining clinics, is not a "political" one.  Yet, here we have Sen. Dan Patrick (R-Houston), author of The Second Most Important Book You Will Ever Read: A Personal Challenge to Read the Bible and right wing radio talk show host, addressing the legislative body and saying, "This isn't about poltics.  This is about life."  His speech was well larded with claims that the United States is "a nation based on Judeo-Christian values."

Oh?  Again (and I apologize to those readers who are all too familiar with such quotations), here is Jefferson on the matter:

"I have examined all the known superstitions of the world and I do not find in our particular superstition of Christianity one redeeming feature.  They are all alike founded on fables and mythology.  Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, and imprisoned.  What has been the effect of this coercion?  To make one half the world fools and the other half hypocrites; to support roguery and error all over the earth." 

What is the Republican War on Women but roguery?  What is Dan Patrick, a fool or a hypocrite?  Or both.

James Madison:

"An alliance or coalition between Government and religion cannot be too carefully guarded against......Every new and successful example therefore of a PERFECT SEPARATION between ecclesiastical and civil matters is of importance........religion and government will exist in greater purity, without (rather) than with the aid of government."

If curtailing abortion in any manner offensive to the Supreme Court's decision in Roe v. Wade is not "political," it is difficult to see what could be.  For people who regularly rant about the need to curtail "big government," these louts are both foolish and hypocritical: foolish because their actions will end up costing the taxpayers in their states megabucks in defending their measures in the courts of the land, and hypocritical in exercising governmental interference in citizens rights to privacy and, should the coat hangers be brought out anew, the most important of the Constitutional guarantees of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.Texas Sen. Dan Patrick

Views: 639

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

North and South Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Utah are as right wing crazy as any Southern state.

This is true, Jim.  In some cases, even loonier than Tex-ass.

Can you believe that about tampons?!!!  We went to Key West this year, and LOVED it.  Unfortunately, I will never again vacation an any of the 3 states you mentioned Sentient.  I don't want to give them one single dollar.  I guess I'm safe in Florida since I'm a white, blue-eyed, middle-aged woman.  Sickening.

Hey Melinda.  I've got an idea. You're a white, blue eyed, middle aged woman. I'm a white, blue eyed, older male.  We can both "pass." Let's travel around Texas together, get separate hotel rooms, and put Warning Label stickers on all the Gideon Bibles.

MWUUUUHHAAAAAAAAHHAAAAAAAA!!!!

LOL Pat!  I actually do that whenever I'm in a hotel room!

I still like the old standby:

That IS a perfect sticker to use Loren!

I recall checking into a motel once and finding a Gideon in the drawer of the bed stand.  Someone had written many obscenities in it, mainly along the lines of, "This book is a crock of shit."  You are not alone.

"Crock of shit." I like that.

LOL Pat.

I know I'm not alone.  I purposely bought the stickers I put in the bibles from FFRF.  More of us need to do it though.

"If curtailing abortion in any manner offensive to the Supreme Court's decision in Roe v. Wade is not "political," it is difficult to see what could be."

@JMM - I understand your reasoning, but as I was thinking about what you said in your post, it occurred to me that, as far as Patrick et al. are concerned, it really is not about politics. It's about his/their religious beliefs. And then, since I am prone to wishful thinking every now and then, it occurred to me that it might have been a big mistake to have made that comment. He has publicly stated that it is a religious issue, not a political one. Seems to me that that would be great ammunition to use in an Establishment Clause challenge to the law . . .

Like I said, wishful thinking . . . but I would truly love to see it happen . . . 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service