Testosterone And Demisexuality

I just discovered the concept of what is called 'Demisexuality'.

Demisexuals are asexuals who only experience secondary sexual attraction to people they know personally, usually based on some kind of emotional connection, whether platonic or romantic. They can’t feel sexually attracted to strangers, celebrities, or people they don’t very well. So demisexuality is all about sexual attraction, just like asexuality is all about the lack of sexual attraction.
    http://outlawroad.tumblr.com/post/10265976595/gray-asexuality

More information:
    http://www.asexuality.org/wiki/index.php?title=Demisexual

My first reaction was to be very pleased.   I have finally found a label for what I am looking for in a man.  
(And I am still hoping, that a man, who identifies with this description and is an AN member in my age group will contact me.)

But on second thought I am wondering, about other possible interpretations of this part of the definition.   

"sexual attraction to people they know personally, usually based on some kind of emotional connection, whether platonic or romantic. They can’t feel sexually attracted to strangers, celebrities, or people they don’t very well."

Demi as French for 'half' implies a reduction.   I have my doubts, that such a distinction between primary and secondary sexual attraction is enough to justify the priority of one over the other as a deficit.    I am even reluctant to call one primary and the other secondary.      

Considering the complex human brain and the power of human cognition, I have doubts, that something triggered by cognition rather than by instinctive subconscious reactions is really less or secondary.  I see alternative input channels for the stimulation of instinctive behavior only as differences.  

Demisexuality it a fairly new concept and I found no scientific information on google concerning my dissenting perception.  

Due to the general function of testosterone, it seems very probable, that an asexual man has a lower testosterone level than a promiscuous jerk.
But to define demisexuality as either a reduction or not, an indication for an answer could be found by a comparison of the testosterone level of demisexual men and of men, who are monogamous by a conscious moral decision of consideration and responsibility.

Does anybody know anything more?

Views: 930

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sad story, Tom.  Nothing like ridiculing and criticizing your kids.  Good parenting.  It makes me appreciate my parents.

Demisexuality is definitely more complicated than a shortage of testosterone.

This is the science forum...  Has anybody any serious information concerning studies on the testosterone levels?  

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service