So me and a friend (she's catholic) were talking about religion. I didn't bring up that I was an atheist, but I said I didn't want to say what my view was. Anyway she said "Even if you were an Atheist, that would be okay because I separate religion from the person". I said nothing.

Is it just me, or is that statement kind of saying an atheist is like the worst possible thing she could think of or something? I want to say a response later on, but I don't know what.

Views: 67

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That was exactly my post earlier. I simply stated, "Why does someone have to believe in something?". It is because the church has made you feel like a horrible person for not believing their lame story. Money is the motivator. Millions have given money to the church because they feel like a good person does that. The vatican has more property than our government.
I had a social circle in high school and college I would occasionally hang out with that were ultra Christian. There were four of them: two brothers, their childhood friend, and a close friend of mine that went to school with them in elementary. They all battled the worst damned personal demons. Every cliche Christian family thing you can think of, with a helping of drug abuse and just plain sexual deviance.

I don't like to look down my nose at anyone morally, but, I am fairly certain I am a much better person then any of them.

Anyways, I remember being at one of their perpetual parties and the topic of god came up (have to love drunken college discussions about religion). They were passionately talking about what they would do when Jesus returned or something. When they asked me something about it, I just told them I would team up with Santa or the Easter Bunny or something. You know, it was all just toddler pretend time to me. One of them, who I considered a really good friend (the bastard even literally saved my life when we were surfing once) went ape sh*t and went into a long tirade about how I was going to burn in hell and what not. The others dog piled. It didn't end in an ABC Family-like segment of me storming off or whatever, but the night didn't exactly end well.

Never hung out with them again.

Fast forward to last month, I stopped by an old neighborhood haunt to pick up some lasagna. I see that guy there. Still driving the same jeep from 10 years ago, but whatever. He is ever so polite and wants me to go to his brothers wedding. I smile and do the adult thing, chat with him, trade numbers.

Still not decided if I should be an adult about the whole thing and go, or blow him off.

Oh as a side note, I bumped into his other super Christian friend years before that was running a sporting goods store, and he gave me his new Christian hip hop CD. It was his face on the cover, looking skyward solemnly and pointing towards Heaven.

These guys. Maybe I'll go for the laughs.

Still not decided if I should be an adult about the whole thing and go, or blow him off.

Ehm, you can be an adult and blow him off. You are your own person and as far as I know you have no obligations to these people that used to call themselves friends.

Why would you play and pretend at a wedding and, more importantly, why would you think that's it's the adult thing to do?

Whoa putting words in a mouth.

Sorry Jeff Ramos, I didn't mean to put words in your mouth, I was just surprised by your remark (that I quoted), especially considering the experiences that you shared about these former (?) friends.

I'm surprised, so that's why I asked all those questions, it wasn't meant to push you in a corner or to put words in your mouth. I'm sorry if it came across as such, but I'm just honestly surprised/intrigued.

This is the kind of mealy-mouthed statement that classes with "love the sinner, hate the sin" that you get when believers talk about homosexuals.  Ultimately, it IS condescending and deserves to be treated as such.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Joan Denoo commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
36 minutes ago
Joan Denoo commented on nice girl's blog post Why I am here
50 minutes ago
Joan Denoo liked nice girl's blog post Why I am here
1 hour ago
Jason Andrews commented on nice girl's blog post Why I am here
1 hour ago
Plinius commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to k.h. ky's discussion Edward Snowden
2 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to k.h. ky's discussion Edward Snowden
2 hours ago
Freethinker31 commented on DAN DANA's blog post This Is How the Gaza War Will End
2 hours ago
Patricia replied to Ceil's discussion Please help me maintain some sanity... It just isn't true!
3 hours ago
Patricia replied to Ceil's discussion Please help me maintain some sanity... It just isn't true!
3 hours ago
Patricia replied to Sentient Biped's discussion More than 30,000 Nexus members. Where are they?
3 hours ago
BIPLAB DAS posted an album

anti superstition programme

its our regular antisuperstition school programme. this time we are in CHHATNA GIRLS HOGH SCHOOL of BANKURA DISTRICT in INDIA. we are disclosing the miracle behind FIRE WALKING.
3 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service