So me and a friend (she's catholic) were talking about religion. I didn't bring up that I was an atheist, but I said I didn't want to say what my view was. Anyway she said "Even if you were an Atheist, that would be okay because I separate religion from the person". I said nothing.

Is it just me, or is that statement kind of saying an atheist is like the worst possible thing she could think of or something? I want to say a response later on, but I don't know what.

Views: 67

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think what she means is that although she strongly disagrees with atheism, if you were an atheist she would not mean that she doesn't respect you as a person. The way she said it did seem somewhat arrogant though.

I personally wouldn't take offence to this, as I'd have to admit that I'm the same way. I have absolutely no respect for Christianity, but that disdain is for the religion, not the person who follows that religion. However, I can't say that I entirely seperate the two. I have slightly more respect for an atheist than a Christian.

I totally agree with your reply David.  I know really nice christians, but I still think that part of them is stupid.

I think I have to agree with David here... I don't think the person in question really intended an insult.

I have this kind of thing happen often and I have to keep reminding myself that I am fighting many, many generations of misinformation regarding religion. I have no control over how people were raised or how they've been lied to for so long. I can only push back gently and hope others do the same. Over time, and with help of the clear-minded, we may be able to expose the myths for what they are.

Do as you wish (obviously) but I recommend just letting it go. If she presses the issue, you may have to let her know that her being catholic doesn't offend you but you'd really rather not discuss it. :)

Sounds like a take on the 'Hate the sin, love the sinner' line that some christians use.

M.

I think that was pretty big of your friend to say (for a catholic). Ignorant because atheism is not a religion, but its shows that she's willing to look pass her own bias. At least thats how I interpreted it. Good luck.
I'd just say "Me too" (i try to separate religion from the person)
Yes atheism is the worst possible threat to a catholic theist, worse even than if you worshiped satan, because the later at least validates her fantasy.
That's exactly right Will Faithless Sophia.  I think many people would accept someone who worshiped 'satan' over an atheist because at least 'satan' is real, lol.
I agree with others on here that your friend probably meant well.  That being said it sort of is a slap in the face , even if she didn't intend it, like "even though you are an atheist, which is a horrible thing to be, I still like you".  I like the poster on her that said you should have responded "Me too".  I also agree with the poster who says they have more respect for Atheists than for christians.  Me too.  I don't 'respect' the fact that people believe dumb, horrible, make-believe, stupid things.  I respect rational-thinking, science, etc.  It depends on if your friend and you can agree not to talk about religion.  I am thinking I have a friend who is done with me because I won't play along when she talks about prayer, 'god', etc.  She also says homophobic things, although 'jokingly' so I don't know if she is kidding, but I hate when she does that.  I've also heard her son say some dumb really homophobic things.  Her daughter is nothing like that.  I've found it's harder to be friends with someone so unlike yourself the older you get.  When I was a teen I couldn't have cared less what religion my friends were or weren't, it was just about being sociable.  Now when I hear stuff I think to myself "idiot". lol
It sounds like your friend would have gotten an important education if she had learned you were an atheist.  A chance to see that atheists are everywhere and are really good people.  I know many of us have to bite our tongues once in a while, but also realize that you have the chance to make a difference one person at a time, just by being open about your beliefs.
I think you should be happy she said that. I thought my friend was on the same page as me until a few months ago when religion got brought up she said, "As long as you believe in something."
I had a friend say the exact same phrase to me when I said something about my daughter not being religious (I'm not either, we just happened to be talking about my daughter), and my friend said "Well as long as she believes in something."  What does that mean?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service