What ten films have you seen that had a freethinking, agnostic, or atheist sensibility, even if it is not the main theme, even if the movie only suggests the writer or director might be a non-believer because the film is irreverent or sacriligeous if in a mildly comedic sort of way? Things like Peter Medak's The Ruling Class, John Huston's Wise Blood, and almost any film by Bunuel or Pasolini.

Views: 4918

Replies to This Discussion

Aye, yi, yi. My list keeps growing. I'm attaching a clip with this one. Every time I watch this scene I swear this guy is talking about Atheism/Humanism. The whole series, which is of course based on mathmatics, is atheistic by design.

Now, check out this scene and tell me what this scene means to you? I

You take the blue pill and you wake up in your bed and you believe whatever you want to believe.

You take the red pill, you stay in wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

The Matrix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pCPvJ8PyAk&feature=PlayList&...
OK, Mark but is that a movie? I forgot my qualifications, including my wish that the lists be of fiction films, which would exclude documentaries, but then an argument might be made that Leni Riefenstahl's Triumph of the Will is one of the most atheistic movies ever (when it is not; it is a deification of Hitler; quite another thing). To that list you might as well add Citizen Gore's movie on global warming, so many prosperity gospel evangelicals thought climate change a myth.
Wasn't The Matrix more like the Star Wars movies...a mix of many religions. In the end, Neo sacrifices himself like Christ. It was an Image of Christ movie, albeit a poor one.
Saved! is pretty good. As satires go it isn't exactly subtle or sophisticated but then again sometimes just getting in peoples faces can be a good thing.

But I'm A Cheerleader is another not so subtle social satire
But I'm a Cheerleader is genius on film.
The Invention of Lying
V For Vendetta. Its not actually atheistic film. but has got very similar views and also libertarian /Anarchistic views.
Just made a post here regarding Robert Zemeckis's Contact. Maybe not an "atheist" film in the pure sense of the word (if there is such a thing), but it certainly brings out the point of view of those who rely on science and intellect and objectivity and the business of living what I call (probably incorrectly) rationally as opposed to theistically.
One of my favorite movies has never been released on video, dammit! The adding machine (1969), starring Milo O'Shea and Phyllis Diller, based on the play by Elmer Rice. This movie was shown frequently on late nite television about 30 years ago. I once bought a defective bootleg video. If you ever get a chance to see it, it's a must. And please make a better copy for me.
Wild Strawberries
The 7th Seal
Dogma
Hannah and Her Sisters
Crimes and Misdemeanors
Probably every Woody Allen movie ever made ;-0
Mind Walk
The Invention of Lying
The Southpark Movie
The Simpsons Movie
Black Robe
A Few Good Men
Life of Brian
Interesting question...

#10 - Life of Brian (1979)
#9 - 12 Monkeys (1995)
#8 - Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989)
#7 - Dogma (1999)
#6 - Religulous (2008)
#5 - Ghost in the Shell (1995)
#4 - The Matrix (1999)
#3 - Akira
#2 - Highlander (1986)
#1 - The Man from Earth (2007)

Katalyzt

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service