why hasn't this happened sooner?  much like the LGBT community, we have friends, coworkers, and family who don't know who we really are and that they know someone who doesn't believe in the supernatural.  once more people know that a person who they accept into their circle is a non-believer they won't judge atheists the way many currently do.  

let's make a commitment to inform one person every Monday that you're an atheist.  maybe on a national level, American Atheists or the Freedom from Religion Foundation could make it an annual day.  i'm thinking Darwin's birthday but i'm open.  and being open is the point.  there's little reason to hide anymore.  "the nones", of which we're a bigger part than tends to be reported, are up to 20% of the population in the U.S.  let's make sure people know they already accept atheists.  they just don't know it yet.  

on a community A/N level, let's make a club.  tell someone you know that doesn't know your beliefs that you're an atheist.  on a larger scale, let's reach out to national atheist groups and see if this isn't something that they would be interested in - a national Tell Someone New You're An Atheist Day!

what say you?  who's with me?

Views: 256

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

sk8eycat, I'm wondering how the moron missionaries would react if you were to smile, say something like "Oh, I long ago put away childish things" and close the door.

Do you think they would recognize Paul's words in 1 Corinthians?

I'll have to try that statement on the next door-knockers that bother me.  Thanks Tom.

Tom, I think the moron missionaries would recognize that scripture.  I would have when I was a moron, and I wasn't even a good scriptorian (Is that a word?).

Is scriptorian a word?

Idaho, how can it not be a word?.

In the OED, a scriptorium is a room set aside for writing and scriptoria are two or more such places. In Latin, the um and a are singular and plural endings.

Pushing my tongue firmly into my cheek, a modernized name for an inhabitant of scriptopria would be "scriptorian".

I love word play.

Sounds good Felaine.  I hope she's thinking, mostly for your sake.

I will if I see someone on Monday's!  I'm home a lot. I might have to do it another day!

do it any day.  or every day.  say "hey, did you know i'm an atheist?"  then move on.  

I will! :)

I'm with you, Matt, and think this is a good idea. I was hiding my atheism from my bosses, but I believe they found me out and this is why I'm not working right now. I had a good record and they are big theists.

As for telling someone new that you are atheist, I told the man who owns the property next door to me just last week. He's not religious and knowing my belief must not bother him. He is building a 3 apartment complex next door to me and still keeps some of his tools on my back porch.

Hm-mm, he trusts an atheist?

sounds like he may be one himself, Mike.  

For a couple of years I was part of a local skeptics group.  One member liked wearing atheist-theme T shirts for her mall walking and other outings.  She said she had both positive and negative reactions to her shirts.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Future replied to jay H's discussion What the freakin hell is wrong with this country???
21 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to jay H's discussion What the freakin hell is wrong with this country???
49 minutes ago
Michael Penn commented on nikki summers's blog post atheist billboard
1 hour ago
Michael Penn replied to jay H's discussion What the freakin hell is wrong with this country???
1 hour ago
John Jubinsky posted photos
1 hour ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's blog post Is god good?
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
4 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
5 hours ago
Grinning Cat replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
5 hours ago
Luara replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
6 hours ago
sk8eycat replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Bible is not Great by Soren Sagan in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
6 hours ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina on "Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative" in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
6 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service