why hasn't this happened sooner?  much like the LGBT community, we have friends, coworkers, and family who don't know who we really are and that they know someone who doesn't believe in the supernatural.  once more people know that a person who they accept into their circle is a non-believer they won't judge atheists the way many currently do.  

let's make a commitment to inform one person every Monday that you're an atheist.  maybe on a national level, American Atheists or the Freedom from Religion Foundation could make it an annual day.  i'm thinking Darwin's birthday but i'm open.  and being open is the point.  there's little reason to hide anymore.  "the nones", of which we're a bigger part than tends to be reported, are up to 20% of the population in the U.S.  let's make sure people know they already accept atheists.  they just don't know it yet.  

on a community A/N level, let's make a club.  tell someone you know that doesn't know your beliefs that you're an atheist.  on a larger scale, let's reach out to national atheist groups and see if this isn't something that they would be interested in - a national Tell Someone New You're An Atheist Day!

what say you?  who's with me?

Views: 258

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've gotta try that, too!

I like this idea. With everyone in the country gaining more rights I don't see why, as a community that intellectuals, atheists, true believers in the scientific method and people who are anchored in facts can't ask for the same.

I'd join the club, for sure! Especially if it'd become a motorcycle club, I've seen 0 bikers here who are non-theist.... It'd be nice to change that!

Peace, everyone. And I hope you devour a good book this week.

my niece is now aware of my atheism.  while on vacation my mother was going to church and jokingly asked if i wanted to join.  when my niece asked why it was funny my sister said "Uncle Matt is an atheist".  not with derision, mind you.  yes, they are all Christians.  she asked a follow up question but i didn't want to get into it in front of my family.  actually, it came up the day before when she asked what the 'A' on my hat stood for and i told her it means i don't believe in magic.  i got into slightly more detail but i guess she didn't get it.  now she knows and she still loves me!

Good for you, Matt.

I'm at my daughter's yesterday and discussing atheism again and it really upset my son in law. He knows my background and can't believe I "gave it all up." He had a religious background himself but found Jebus again while he was in prison. He got angry this time and my daughter had to explain for him some of what I was talking about. I'm proud of her for that. Once my son in law says "you need to present some evidence of this." I told him he didn't understand what I was saying. I'm atheist today because there is no evidence of god and the Bibble is all made up.

Fortunately we parted company as friends again.

That's good you parted company as friends Mike!

Michael, YOU are not the one who should be asked for evidence of a negative...it's the True Believers in the invisible world who need to provide proof of their cockamamie beliefs.

"Outrageous claims require outrageous proofs." Carl Sagan

I gotta get that sentence tattooed on my arm, sk8eycat! And so true!

That's great Matt!  Since she loves you, and she's still young, maybe it will make her think about religion.  Someone she loves and admires doesn't believe all of that crap. ~ Mel

The best kind of family members! All of mine ex-communicated me haha

Got a visit from the Jehoovers Witless' yesterday.  I said I was indoctrinated into religion when I was too young to think for myself, but I finally broke out of that brainwashing, and I hope you can too.

That didn't seem to phase the female.  She just launched into her memorized spiel, so I answered everything she said before letting her get very far, and she gave up in a few minutes.

Oh Spud, you touched a raw nerve!

Every couple of months, some people come to the front door, or the yard if I am in it, asking if there is a Chinese person living here.  It always catches me off guard - won't any more - and I say "Yes", but he's not home.  Then they hand me some literature in Chinese and leave.  It's usually Jehovah's Witless literature.

What pisses me off - the don't care to talk to me, always to that Chinese person - Ning, of course.  I guess, only Chinese souls matter to them.  They don't apologize for interrupting whatever I'm doing.  They refuse to say who they are or what they want.  It's this big secret.  They don't thank me for my time.

I always think after wards, what I should have said.  Initially I'm off guard because I'm too polite.  But at some point, I always know what it's about.

They are probably Jehovah Witless. I would answer "Oh, you mean Wan Hung Lo. He's not here right now." I doubt they would even see the humor. Dumbfounded they would leave.

The Witlesses think that I believe the way they do. That isn't so. It's just that I have some in my history and background. Another reason they may think I see things their way is that my intense Buybull study stands out if you talk religion with me. Knowing it and believing it are not the same.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service